80 to 80 axle swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I've got a '95 FZJ80 with just enough rust on the rear axle to make me want to do some repair work to make sure everything is good for the long term. I ran across a local '94 FZJ80 that is getting parted out with a good looking rear axle. The price for the '94 axle is close enough to what materials and my time would cost that I'm considering just swapping them.

I'm looking for some feedback from those knowledgable enough to highlight something I missed or confirm that a '94 axle can just be direct bolt in to the '95.

I've searched MUD, compared part numbers and vehicle fitment year ranges on multiple Toyota sites, and even compared the year ranges for all the required seals/bearings/etc. to see if I could find differences to help answer my question. Nothing jumps out at me, so I feel about 90% certain I would be good to go.

The '95 has a JAN 1995 production date. The original and the donor axles are for factory lockers.

Same axle.

With both being factory locker axles you'd be good.

Wasn't there a guy recently that had an uncommon 94 with SF axle and drum brakes. That's the only thing you'd have to look out for don't think that's as direct

The ‘94 rear axle is the same if it has disc brakes.

The ‘93 and ‘94 model years had the slightly shorter birfields up front.

You’re good to go.

With both being factory locker axles you'd be good.

Wasn't there a guy recently that had an uncommon 94 with SF axle and drum brakes. That's the only thing you'd have to look out for don't think that's as direct
That was the only thing I ran across... I believe it was referred to as a “poverty package”; SF with drums. I’m asking for some detailed pics before I make the drive, but figure if it had factory e-lockers, it’s probably not the PP one.

I just swapped my axles from my 94 to my 96, was pretty straight foward. Pulled the bolts from the front radius arms at the frame only the pan hard at the frame only, disconnect steering at the steering box. Brake lines, shocks,and driveshaft

Rear same links from the frame and panhard from the frame. Disconnect brake line at the axle to frame. Disconnect parking brake at the axle. Driveshaft at the axle, and shocks at the frame, since I pulled all my stuff to the 96.

I did mine at buddy’s shop so both trucks on a lift, with two of us had axles out of both trucks in about 6 or so hours, rolled axles around and got one truck back together in that time. Doing it on the ground would def be slower

I just swapped my axles from my 94 to my 96, was pretty straight foward. Pulled the bolts from the front radius arms at the frame only the pan hard at the frame only, disconnect steering at the steering box. Brake lines, shocks,and driveshaft

Rear same links from the frame and panhard from the frame. Disconnect brake line at the axle to frame. Disconnect parking brake at the axle. Driveshaft at the axle, and shocks at the frame, since I pulled all my stuff to the 96.

I did mine at buddy’s shop so both trucks on a lift, with two of us had axles out of both trucks in about 6 or so hours, rolled axles around and got one truck back together in that time. Doing it on the ground would def be slower

Thanks for the feedback, that’s awesome. Sounds pretty straightforward. What took all the time...busting old bolts?

I’m rocking a ‘94 axle housing in my ‘97. Only difference I saw are the brackets the abs wires clip into are not there. I went the lazy route and just zip tied them out of the way of the coils. So far so good

Thanks for the feedback, that’s awesome. Sounds pretty straightforward. What took all the time...busting old bolts?
No issues with anything, just take little longer then you think, plus we were drinking beers talking that kinda stuff. We had two complete trucks to swap, and I took all my suspicions links rods, shocks, bump stops, etc and abs, since the 94 didn’t have that so had to lay it back across both those axles, from the 94 ,since it was all built out, just lots little things
728F9929-C94B-43D4-9D27-2ACD4B1E069C.jpeg
44ADEB31-0335-4BCA-9A8D-2511B309AB59.jpeg
CA87ABF0-C1AB-456B-BF9E-7D8BECC0524A.jpeg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom