80 to 100 tcase swap? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
will the tcase out of my 94 80 series swap to my wife's 06 100 series?

Yes and no. It has the same pattern for connecting to the transmission,but the 80 transfer case has a viscous coupler and is roughly 3" longer. Also the motor to the center diff lock has a different electrical connector. The motor can be switched but the case is still too long.

91, 92 case would probably work. No VC.

Last edited:
Was hoping to swap my 94. It is all geared out.

Going to just leave alone and regear the tcase when it's time

Just Differentials did the swap. He just shortened the drive shaft by 3 inches. I am going to do this swap myself. I am shopping for an 80 series HF2AV TC now. Then I am gonna do the lower low range gears. I also like having the viscous coupler because then you can traverse on nasty roads (center diff locked) with little danger of driveline binding. I especially look forward to using it on snowy/icy/muddy paved roads.

Just Differentials did the swap. He just shortened the drive shaft by 3 inches. I am going to do this swap myself. I am shopping for an 80 series HF2AV TC now. Then I am gonna do the lower low range gears. I also like having the viscous coupler because then you can traverse on nasty roads (center diff locked) with little danger of driveline binding. I especially look forward to using it on snowy/icy/muddy paved roads.

It's been a while since I had an 80 series, but I thought the function of the viscous coupler was to act as a "limited slip" (between the front and rear axles) when the center differential was "unlocked"?

It's been a while since I had an 80 series, but I thought the function of the viscous coupler was to act as a "limited slip" (between the front and rear axles) when the center differential was "unlocked"?
Yes, that is the basic function. Allows enough slip front to back to prevent binding.
EDIT: Since the VC comes after/to the rear of the locking function in the TC it is always working. Becomes even more valuable/functional when center diff is locked.

Last edited:
Yes, that is the basic function. Allows enough slip front to back to prevent binding.
EDIT: Since the VC comes after/to the rear of the locking function in the TC it is always working. Becomes even more valuable/functional when center diff is locked.

Viscous coupler is not used when center differential is locked. Viscous coupler is active when center differential is NOT locked.

Yes you will. The locked function and VC work completely independent of each other. Same as if you had a VC or LSD in the front or rear differential. It allows a bit of speed variance between front to rear as an axle/diff would side to side. It is a very simple device it cannot work any other way. Were the VC to fail, it fails in a 'locked' manner (no speed difference ).

-class dismissed, good night.

Yes you will. The locked function and VC work completely independent of each other. Same as if you had a VC or LSD in the front or rear differential. It allows a bit of speed variance between front to rear as an axle/diff would side to side. It is a very simple device it cannot work any other way. Were the VC to fail, it fails in a 'locked' manner (no speed difference ).

-class dismissed, good night.

I understand how LSD works. Using a viscous coupler to unbind a transfer case locked by center differential lock is something I do not know and understand. Do you mind to explain how it works?

I am by no means an expert, but I have owned or modified several vehicles with a center VC. Some combined with rear and/or front lsd (helped build my cousins modified Audi, which had all three). VC's like the one in the HF2A(V) have a sealed VC that, to my understanding is a little loose or some say sloppy. Probably do to having a thinner viscosity fluid inside. In this case of thinner viscosity it will contribute to a feeling of drive-line 'lash' or play. So this sealed VC has several plates/discs inside that have to rotate through this fluid. When the difference in rotation front to back no longer overwhelms the resistance provided by the fluid. Example: fill a small glass with honey which is a thick or high viscosity. Then stir it with a stick, the glass will try to turn with the honey. Now try the same thing with water, you would have to obviously stir the water very fast to get the same result. In this example the stick would be the power from the engine into the VC and the glass would be the the power going out. Just like an LSD it works both ways left/right, or in this case front/back. This amount of differential in speed (great or small) is what relieves the potential binding.

I am looking at about 2 or 3 different HF2AV's on ebay now. I will be buying one soon. Then I am going to rebuild/refresh it and install some trail creeper gears myself. I have rebuilt a few transmissions and a couple engines before but never a transfer case. It looks pretty straight forward though. I attached a nice HF2AV schematic for your viewing pleasure. :beer:

Attachments

• HF2AV TRANSFER.pdf
    357.2 KB · Views: 306
I am by no means an expert, but I have owned or modified several vehicles with a center VC. Some combined with rear and/or front lsd (helped build my cousins modified Audi, which had all three). VC's like the one in the HF2A(V) have a sealed VC that, to my understanding is a little loose or some say sloppy. Probably do to having a thinner viscosity fluid inside. In this case of thinner viscosity it will contribute to a feeling of drive-line 'lash' or play. So this sealed VC has several plates/discs inside that have to rotate through this fluid. When the difference in rotation front to back no longer overwhelms the resistance provided by the fluid. Example: fill a small glass with honey which is a thick or high viscosity. Then stir it with a stick, the glass will try to turn with the honey. Now try the same thing with water, you would have to obviously stir the water very fast to get the same result. In this example the stick would be the power from the engine into the VC and the glass would be the the power going out. Just like an LSD it works both ways left/right, or in this case front/back. This amount of differential in speed (great or small) is what relieves the potential binding.

I am looking at about 2 or 3 different HF2AV's on ebay now. I will be buying one soon. Then I am going to rebuild/refresh it and install some trail creeper gears myself. I have rebuilt a few transmissions and a couple engines before but never a transfer case. It looks pretty straight forward though. I attached a nice HF2AV schematic for your viewing pleasure. :beer:

I understand the benefits of LSD, so I know VC allows front and rear drive shafts to turn at different rates. I do not believe you explained how you get the "less binding" benefit from VC when the center differential is locked. I know you said you can and I am interested to know how this is possible.

Both front and rear drive shafts turn at the same rate when the center differential is locked, in other words you are in "always bind" mode. How are you getting the "less binding" benefit from VC when both front and rear drive shafts turn at the same rate?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom