80 tire size question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Is this true? Don’t intend to question you but since I’m on this very same fence about to pull the trigger on a set of tires and a dobinsons lift (1.75 vs 3inxh flexicoils) I’ve been doing some research.
I’ve read that castor is the #1 important thing to adjust, along with DS angle 2nd, and rear panhard lift bracket coming in as 3rd most important. Interested to hear why you think Panhards take precedence over castor, might just pay for my lift and not buy the plates or DC DS...
Suppose it depends on the intended use and how high you go. Your probably correct, castor correction is a big item. Especially if driving across the country and on your own at college. Good point, I got the SLEE original tube arms and honestly have no idea if they corrected the angle with them or not and wasn't thinking about using the OEM arms. I do know it can be a handful at times on the highway so likely not the correct castor but I could live with it and never had it checked.
Not sure I agree on the front DC with +3 or less, I never had an issue with a 3.5" lift up front but fought rear vibration at highway speed many times until I got the upper rear arms.
Ultimately throwing on 33's is more likely a simple item to achieve over just assuming you can just throw on 35's and drive it. I would do alot of homework here before doing either honestly, You will get alot of opinion but ultimately make sure to research what is right for you.
The Panhard align your axle from side to side and also you may get rubbing at higher speeds, Possibly not an issue not to address immediately but it was important to me and addressed it fairly quick because I had more rubbing issues and didn't like the offset wheel look.
Back in 2000, there wasnt alot of options out there and I had to do it piece by piece but now a whole different story, Either way if me and a daily driver I would chose a lift and call around and ask based on budget and make sure to look at a few options. If not a daily driver you can certainly go a little at a time.

Suppose it depends on the intended use and how high you go. Your probably correct, castor correction is a big item. Especially if driving across the country and on your own at college. Good point, I got the SLEE original tube arms and honestly have no idea if they corrected the angle with them or not and wasn't thinking about using the OEM arms. I do know it can be a handful at times on the highway so likely not the correct castor but I could live with it and never had it checked.
Not sure I agree on the front DC with +3 or less, I never had an issue with a 3.5" lift up front but fought rear vibration at highway speed many times until I got the upper rear arms.
Ultimately throwing on 33's is more likely a simple item to achieve over just assuming you can just throw on 35's and drive it. I would do alot of homework here before doing either honestly, You will get alot of opinion but ultimately make sure to research what is right for you.
The Panhard align your axle from side to side and also you may get rubbing at higher speeds, Possibly not an issue not to address immediately but it was important to me and addressed it fairly quick because I had more rubbing issues and didn't like the offset wheel look.
Back in 2000, there wasnt alot of options out there and I had to do it piece by piece but now a whole different story, Either way if me and a daily driver I would chose a lift and call around and ask based on budget and make sure to look at a few options. If not a daily driver you can certainly go a little at a time.
Looks like you ended up alright, then!
Thanks for the detailed reply

You shouldn’t need 315s to crush a Disco on trails!

Hard to beat a well setup Disco. My avatar shows my Disco in the Land Rover all comers competition in Lorca Spain, and it kicked every other vehicle into touch, including those arriving on trailers. Of course it had every bell and whistle you could buy and fit, After a competition I would then hose her off to get rid of thick mud and drive to the airport and pick someone up. The main difference between an 80 and a Disco is you need to spend some money on the Disco to get it to match a stock 80. Another issue is the OE build quality, it really is not that good, so repairs were a steady and continued drain on not only money but on time as well. After an injury I could no longer enter contests so went more expedition style, for that you need a capable vehicle along with space, the 80 fits the bill perfectly. It is interesting that the 80 has been in my ownership for around 10+ years and is by far the longest I have kept the same vehicle, there is something about an 80 that just fits, I have no plans to get rid of her.

Regards

Dave

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom