80 tire size question (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My dad has had an 80 since the early 2000's and we are trying to fixer her up so I can take it to college in Colorado. We thought a good place to start is tires since what is on there looks like something waiting to explode. We want it to be outfitted to handle almost any situation we could get it in and for this reason we have been leaning toward 315/75R16s but I keep hearing about the need to re-gear and how hard it will be on the transmission. I just see so many cruisers with these 35s and thought I could use a little guidance since I don't really know the lay of the land when it comes to tire size and it's impact on the gears and transmission.

Unless you plan to off-road it pretty seriously...then a 285/75-16 (approximately 33") will serve you well. The spare will fit under the vehicle and there is no need for a lift of any type. Fuel mileage and the effect on brakes and braking are not significantly changed.

Last edited:
I also run 33's.
If you're going to be in winter weather on slick roads I suggest a high silica content tread.

I run 285/75/16s too and I didn't notice the difference in power or braking. Like @flintknapper said, the spare fits under the vehicle without modification which is very convenient unless you already have your spare relocated.

If you're going to be in college, I'd opt for the 33s, as others have mentioned, they're relatively easy to find, cheaper being key as a college student, and do everything you will more than likely need it to do. Sometimes being practical makes sense.

My tyres are the stock 275 size, and I too have got in and out of places you would not believe, if I did not have to jump through costly Spanish paperwork I would go to 285/75/16 just for the greater brand choice.

Going up to 35s you will find your brakes are less effective, then you start messing with the system which may expose you to insurance/litigation issues unless declared.

Regards

Dave

Last edited:
If your campus has parking garages, you'll fit more of them on 33s than on larger tires.

Once you go bigger than 33s, it will cost you money on things other than tires. Gears are just one example. You can run 33s everywhere on stock components.

I've been everywhere I wanted to be on tires smaller than 33s on vehicles less capable than the 80 in Colorado. The one exception is Holy Cross City.

By the time you get through college, you'll be needing a new set of tires. That's when to start dropping graduation gifts suggestions, like 35s after a trip to Slee for a mild lift - or something to that effect... ;)

Yep 33s... till your ready to go to the next level.

I just wrapped up college and daily drove my 80 on 315s. Big tires are cool, but money for gas and food is cooler. I’d get 285, I really only jumped to 315s because my friend has a discovery 2 and I wanted to crush him on trails😂

My tyres are the stock 275 size, and I too have got in and out of places you would not believe, if I did not have to jump through costly Spanish paperwork I would go to 285/75/16 just for the greater brand choice.

Going up to 35s you will find your brakes are less effective, then you start messing with the system which may expose you to insurance/litigation issues unless declared.

Regards

Dave
Is that dependent on your insurance company? Or is it just illegal period to add in extended brake lines?

asking bc I’m planning out a lift that may or may not involve extended brake lines

Is that dependent on your insurance company? Or is it just illegal period to add in extended brake lines?

asking bc I’m planning out a lift that may or may not involve extended brake lines
Dave is in Spain, and has to deal with lots more than US for changing stuff around. same for the AUS folks and their Engineering certs to add certain aftermarket items and engine swaps.

As per @Defuzer1 Spain has some serious road blocks to modified vehicles. Engine swaps are rarely seen for example. Want to fit bigger tyres then get your wallet ready. First you apply to a registered engineer, he debates whether it will be safe, if he agrees you then find a tyre shop that will undertake the fitment as they could be left open to litigation, this in itself is ridiculous as they have already been passed by an engineer! Then you fit them and present the car to an ITV inspection station, they will confirm they do in fact conform to what the engineer said they would i.e. trye body clearance, width of overall track etc. Only then do you present the 'Ficha Tecnica' to your insurance company and they refer it to the underwriters.

So all done you think? Well if the insurance company agrees to insure the vehicle it may come with a caveat that might read something like: 'You may not be insured for a third party risk if the accident could be attributed to the change in tyre size.' So not exactly what you want to hear, everyone is covering their arses.

If they do not agree then the tyres have to be removed. which will mean another trip to the inspection station to have the permission removed from the vehicle documentation, and of course your in the hole for well over a grand or more (in euros)!

Even the simple fitment of a snorkel has to have all the correct 'homologado' documents and then yes the ITV safety inspection.....oh and don't get me started on fitting a tow bar!!

If you think the work/cost is worth it then sure go ahead, there are a few vehicles over here that have been modded, and they are being seen more often, in general if the vehicle was not fitted with 'X' component at the factory, then it will need at least some documentation to ratify it's fitment.

Regards

Dave

@Dave 2000 does all that stop people from distracted driving and generally not following road rules? Here i would say more wrecks are caused by wheel studs breaking on stock vehicles than any tire size issues or snorkel accidents.

@Dave 2000 does all that stop people from distracted driving and generally not following road rules? Here i would say more wrecks are caused by wheel studs breaking on stock vehicles than any tire size issues or snorkel accidents.

Motorway drivers tend to be pretty good, town drivers scare the sh*t out of me pretty much every day, they are poles apart!

Sure a snorkel accident has never been heard of in my sixteen years of living here but it comes under the road safety and vehicle modification rules..........go figure.

Regards

Dave

Since you live in Kalifornistan, there are many rules you must follow, but most of them are emissions related.

The insurance / litigation issue is about whether or not you kill a busload of nuns and kindergartners because your 37" tires and 12" lift caused you to lose control, your ABS didn't work, and who has the deepest pockets.

I am not aware of any issues with insurance dropping you for extended brake lines or a mild suspension lift.

My new favorite tire size that I have on my 80 is 255/85/16. Essentially a 33x10.50 on a 16” rim. Fills the wheel well, doesn’t hurt mpg too much, increased offroad capability, smaller contact patch (good for the dry snow we get here), all without turning it into a monster truck. It looks “right”.

EDDEE7A3-E07D-434C-9DDC-72C1A336FB91.jpeg

185617AA-1154-4D3A-A644-37CAB063AB25.jpeg

in my opinion,

265's will cost the least and get better fuel economy, but look a bit small.

285's work and look best for non lifted trucks that spend most time on the highway, but want to hit a trail once in a while. Highly recommended!

295's are a compromise for stock (rigs with worn springs don't count as stock) but are best on slightly lifted trucks that spend some time in the trail.

315's really should have a lift of 3"+ and look great with a lift and look unproportional and will rub in some circumstances without a lift. They also cost more and will impact fuel economy. Oh and don't fit underneath an 80.

Most of my experience are with BFG AT's which measure a touch smaller than other brands, but are a great value when you consider wear and use in multiple conditions.

Good luck, cool college rig if you have a few extra bucks for gas!

Last edited:

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom