80 Tie rod end noise. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I occasionally heard a sound coming from the front passenger side and figured it was in need of a burf job, which was done. Went on the Walnut Canyon run a couple weekends ago (Thanks Phil) and heard the noise again. After getting under the truck I realized the relay rod assembly is rotating causing the relay rod end to bang on the passenger side. The booty looks shot, and I'm fairly certain that this is the culprit. How do I evaluate whether I should I be looking at one of the relay rod end kits, simply replacing the booty, or some other suggestion?
(Murf, the man-a-fre kit is $139, what is the oem going for?)
Thanks.

The boot is just a rubber cover to keep the grease in / dirt out.

If your tie rod is swinging around under load - then it should be replaced (IMHO)

Chuck

OBTW: Cruiser Outfitters has the 555 brand on sale for $97.50

http://www.cruiseroutfitters.com/steering.html

Last edited:
(Murf, the man-a-fre kit is $139, what is the oem going for?)
Thanks.

Pete, the pair of oem relay ends cost a total of $84.00 at the CSC price. I had to replace mine about 2 years ago for the same reason.

I'm a big fan of Cruiser Outfitters, one of the Cruiser Companies that I send my biz to and that kit is all 4 ends, so a good deal. But the factory rod ends have been proven to be very durable, in this case I would use OEM.

If the end is bad, you should be able to feel play in it. Have a helper rock the steering back and forth, touch the end and steering arm or pitman arm to feel for play. If you want, stop by and I will show you how to check it, very simple. They are very reliable, if one is bad from a bad boot and the rest look good, I would just replace the bad one and grease the rest.

The allure of OEM. Thanks for the price check Murf. I checked with Kristal and you only have the driver’s side in stock. Kevin, are you going to be around your shop this weekend? If so, I’ll take you up on your offer.
Thanks.

The allure of OEM. Thanks for the price check Murf. I checked with Kristal and you only have the driver’s side in stock. Kevin, are you going to be around your shop this weekend? If so, I’ll take you up on your offer.
Thanks.

Planning to be here tomorrow.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom