80 T-BELT Light staying ON. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
The T-BELT warning light came on in my 1990 80 at the weekend but the Timing Belt was fine when I took off the cover.I fitted a new one just in case but the light remains on.Has anyone come across this ? Does anyone know what sensor is activating the light and how it (the sensor) works ? Thanks in advance.

Hello and welcome.

In your instument cluster there is reset button.
There is a rubber plug that you will need to pull out.
The reset button is behind it.
It should be right next to the trip odometer reset.

Cheers,
Nick

T-BELT Light

Thanks for the 'welcome' Nick and thanks for the information.I will try that in the morning.

On most foreign cars (Yotas, Mitsis, etc.) there is a small switch in the instrument cluster that you have to toggle to kill that light. :)

Is there such a monster?
"1990 80 with a timming belt":confused:

:popcorn:

yes........on a diesel

FrankTorres said:
Is there such a monster?
"1990 80 with a timming belt":confused:

:popcorn:

Landpimp said:
yes........on a diesel

The Diesel force stay with us ..

Anycase I'm search a lots to found some sensor that activate this dash light without luck ..

If anyone know under what specific parameter the light come on .. please let me know.

RoddQLD said:
Hi Tapage. I think that the timing belt light is only controlled by an electronic timer. Possibly works on 'engine hours'.

Work's on odo kilometers/miles. It should come on every service interval (which is 150,000km's - i think)

The light comes on every 100,000km

Aussie cruiser said:
The light comes on every 100,000km

asi simple as is .. ?

Each time you odo reach other 100k km .. the light come on . ?

Damn !

haha bump for an old thread. I just rolled 100kkm and almost s*** my pants when this light came on going down the road, thinking I was gonna be in for a valve job or something. Luckily @SteveJackson changed it for me 25kkm ago. dunno if it can be toggled early, but I'll try that at 170kkm and report back in 5 years, lol!

haha bump for an old thread. I just rolled 100kkm and almost s*** my pants when this light came on going down the road, thinking I was gonna be in for a valve job or something. Luckily @SteveJackson changed it for me 25kkm ago. dunno if it can be toggled early, but I'll try that at 170kkm and report back in 5 years, lol!

Can't be reset until it's been triggered, so if the work was done recently just reset it now. It will come back on in another 100,000kms.

Can't be reset until it's been triggered, so if the work was done recently just reset it now. It will come back on in another 100,000kms.
Ya, I just clicked it this morning with a No2 pencil and it reset. Guess it trips every time the 1e5 spot clicks over.

Hello and welcome.

In your instument cluster there is reset button.
There is a rubber plug that you will need to pull out.
The reset button is behind it.
It should be right next to the trip odometer reset.

Cheers,
Nick
I had my T belt replaced less then 50k ago and my timing belt came on the other day. I freaked and nearly started tearing into things until I saw this. The odometer just rolled over 300km, problem solved. Thanks ;)

Whats the report?

Last night l put a couple oil filters, fuel filter, and timing belt kit in my cart on back40.com for hitting 300k soon on 1HDT. Today l hit 290k and the T.BELT light illuminated.

Does the 1hdt use a timing belt? If so I guess I will never own a 80 diesel 80 series..... only timing chains and gears for this guy.

Does the 1hdt use a timing belt? If so I guess I will never own a 80 diesel 80 series..... only timing chains and gears for this guy.
Kind of. The cam shaft is belt driven, while the fuel pump is gear driven. Chains can have their own issues, as shown by the detonating chain guides on the 1FZ. As far as timing belts go though, the one on the 1HZ/1HDT is really easy to change.

I think this is incorrect. IIRC, the way this actually works is there's a third hidden wheel set on the odometer, kind of like a second trip meter. Once it clicks over the "top gear" the light illuminates. It literally has numbers on it you can see if you open up the cluster. Pressing that button mechanically resets the wheels just like the trip counter. You can press it at any time to reset the clock.

Kind of. The cam shaft is belt driven, while the fuel pump is gear driven. Chains can have their own issues, as shown by the detonating chain guides on the 1FZ. As far as timing belts go though, the one on the 1HZ/1HDT is really easy to change.

I think this is incorrect. IIRC, the way this actually works is there's a third hidden wheel set on the odometer, kind of like a second trip meter. Once it clicks over the "top gear" the light illuminates. It literally has numbers on it you can see if you open up the cluster. Pressing that button mechanically resets the wheels just like the trip counter. You can press it at any time to reset the clock.

This is my understanding too

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom