80 suspension vs Y60 Patrol (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

SNLC

OCD
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
www.snlandcruisers.com
I am sure this will get some good replies! I know where I am and I know 99.9% here are Toyota fans. I am a Toyota fan too.

Recently a buddy was looking at a Y60 Safari to import. I know Patrols so he was asking me a bunch of questions. Thing is I don't know Y60s real well since I have only been around and in them a few times. For you Aussie guys this is the GQ Patrols, I am sure you know that though.

So I go looking at a bunch of pics I have on my PC and start comparing the Y60 Patrol to the 80. We didn't get the Patrols in the USA but they are the main competitor to the Cruiser and always have been, worldwide.

So I am comparing the suspension side by side. And while I love my 80, Nissan sure does seem to have done a better job designing the suspension. Both trucks are a radius arm front and a parallel 4-link rear. So as far as geometry, handling, flex and so forth they can't be all that much different. Where I see the major differences are; Nissan has the radius arm mounts outboarded on the frame. They are also a pin with bushing type like a Ford has. That is at the frame side. On top of this the radius arms don't hang down like on an 80, they are basically inverted over the tie rod which is behind the axle. To me this seems and looks like a much better radius arm design. If nothing else it gives way more ground clearance. Seems to me you could also cut off the frame side mount and rotate it however you like to deal with lift and caster or pinion angle issues. On the rear the lower control arms are also outboarded on the frame. Otherwise they are the same as an 80. What that does though is give much better ground clearance and nothing to hang up on. As far as the rear uppers, basically the same as an 80. Both trucks the panhard set up is virtually the same.

On top of this the Patrol has a flat belly from the factory. Combine that with the lack of suspension hanging low and you have a much better set up. Nissan went one step farther too. They put the rear shocks behind the axle. As most people know who wheel their 80's, that is much better.

Any ways, what do you think about all this? Am I just tripping in thinking the Patrol is much better as far as the set up and design of the suspension? I can post pics of the Patrol set up if anybody is interested.

Cheers

rear axle.jpg
rear axle1.jpg
rear axle2.jpg
front axle.jpg

I could certainly be wrong about the outboarded mounts on the frame for the radius arms. I am no expert. This is aftermarket though and I believe a drop bracket. So not sure how it compares to stock.
front axle.jpg
front axle1.jpg

^that last pic I think is an aftermarket drop bracket for lifting purposes. I am no expert and not exactly sure what the stock frame side radius arm mount looks like.

Cheers

image.jpg
Nissan 6" kit

image.jpg

Toyota 6" kit

The vehicles are so identical it's truly a matter of which you like better: infinity or Lexus? Unfortunately we don't have that choice here:(

fortunately, however, you can still pic white mocha or java chip :)

Thanks for the share.
They look even wider than an 80.
Pretty beefy. Also looks like, well sort of a International front clip. Maybe...
Screenshots_2015-04-07-14-17-36.png

can't really see how the arms attach to the front axle in the pics.

They seem like they would flex better with the pin though

can't really see how the arms attach to the front axle in the pics.

They seem like they would flex better with the pin though

Attaches much like an 80

nissan-patrol-y60-white-wolf-104.jpg

nissan_patrol_y60_white_wolf_100.jpg

nissan_patrol_y60_white_wolf_101.jpg

GQ's have terrible front end articulation. Superior Engineering have a hybrid arm setup with the 80 style bush at the end. They also do a superflex arm setup for both Patrol and Cruiser.

So it similar to a discovery then?

BTW, GQ Patrols have a nearly 9.5" HP front diff.
I'd love to know more about how the front axles compare. From what I recall, they're a 9.2" ring gear. But are they reverse cut like our 8" front? I've always liked the Y60.

Last edited:
They are called "Safari" in Japan. Pretty equal all around ... to the point of semantics... The only full size truck I'd jump the Toyota ship for.

Ya I don't think the front end flexes any better than an 80, I am not saying that at all. It does seem to have lot's better clearance though without all the suspension brackets being under frame rails like on the 80.

They are starting to turn up here since they are now 25yrs old. And of course we can import more. I may have to get my hands on one sooner or later.

Cheers

2 things I don't like from Patrol suspension ..

Front coil upper bucked pretty low .. = short coil

just the way control arms hold the axle .. with those super flex arms caster suffer a lot ..

I know a guy with a LWB, tall roof model Safari, and it makes my 80 seem small, probably 20% bigger exterior dimensions! Agreed that they are pretty the only trucks out there that are comparable to our 80's, I actually considered one after I lost my first HDJ81.

Patrols are axle, knuckles, transmissions superior to our comparable in our 80 ..

interior and ride .. they are more rough ..

engines are comparable, but personal feel, Patrol engines are more like a truck engine .. less refined.

just for fun... 80 vs. y60
START AT THE 2 minute mark.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom