80 Supercharger...What should they cost? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Skillet

Skillet
Threads
Is $2500 for a brand new supercharger out of line?

What is the difficulty of the install and do you have to run premium and re-chip the thing?

Thanks.

woohoo supercharger....!!!:D I like it. from my expirience with superchargers ( i work at Avenger Superchargers), with any supercharger you should always run premium fuel, this will prevent pre- detonation in the cylinders and prevent a hole being blown in the top of one of your pistons or blowing one through the side of your block. And as far as the computer goes, you may not necessarily need to do anything with the computer other than re-mapping it. every kit is different so each requires different little tweaks. some run a 7th injector, some need to have your comoputer sent in a re-programmed, some require that you tie a little box in with the stock computer, etc. it's all kit specific for the most part. who makes the kit that you're lookin at picking up? is it used?

and in my opinion $2500 doesnt seem bad for a supercahrger kit. we sell ours here at Avenger for $3995 for the 4.0L kit going in Jeeps ( heeps, you know what J.E.E.P. stands for right?!), and the cheapest we sell is $3695 for a 2.5L 4 Cylinder Jeep

If you are getting the full TRD supercharger kit for $2500, buy it NOW. It is relatively easy to install. Follow the instruction booklet and the download from Scolaro's(I think) website. You will need to run premium and you do not need to rechip. However there are a couple of issues with the 93-94 FZJ that have been discussed, so do a search.
Cheers,
Sean

The best part about running a supercharger is the nice thank you notes you'll receive from OPEC. Sure, they're in Arabic but you'll get the point. :D

TJK

Skillet said:

What is the difficulty of the install and do you have to run premium and re-chip the thing?

Thanks.

If that is a NEW TOYOTA TRD KIT ...............BUY IT NOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

That is below dealer cost by a good margin.

cruiserdan said:

Hey, I tried to call you to order a bunch of parts! Guess I will wait until monday. :D

Best price I've seen on the TRD/Kazuma kits for a '95-'97 is $2750 (price I got it for). I've never seen it cheaper. If you have found one of these for $2500, it's a steal. If it's not a TRD kit, then God only knows what you have and whether it's worth it.

Skillet said:

Thanks.

I know where you found that :D
I saw the ad a week or two ago...thought about calling...but didn't get around to it...

Make sure it is what it's claimed to be. You might want to check it out, then cross-check the part numbers with CDan...or get the numbers from him first before going out to look at it.

I know there's a cruiser shop in that town...is it from there?

One more thing -- I don't recall, specifically what the differences are, but the blower for the 93/94 is slightly different than the one for the 95-97 model years. Make sure this one works on your 93.

cruiserdan said:

Are the kits available again from Toyota/TRD?

I called and passed on this SC. Talked to the guy on the phone and he said he develped the SC then TRD bought the design.
But he didn't know any specifics, engine codes or details of the kit. All he knew was it was new, in boxes.

I asked if it was for the 1FZ and he said "Its for the inline 6. 1998 or 99"

Doesn't mean it isn't good, just the guy doesnt know much about it but it threw up a red flag for me.
If you are serious about buying, it demands a personal inspection and going thru to make sure it's all legit. I wouldnt buy it sight unseen

Dan, you have the 1fz SC for close to the price?

NorCalDoug said:
Are the kits available again from Toyota/TRD?

They have always been available from TRD/Toyota. There have been ups and downs in the supply but it has yet to be "discontinued".

FirstToy said:
Dan, you have the 1fz SC for close to the price?

No. That is not possible. That price is at least 500 dollars less than a "great deal" Current list price is over 3,800 dollars.

As I said earlier, IF that kit is a TRD kit AND it is 2500 bucks, BUY IT NOW!

I call bull**** on the whole thing.

Last edited:
Have prices jumped on the SC? I helped someone local get one with our club's discount at our local dealer, but I don't recall it being over $3,200 list. Just FYI, with the discount, this guy paid $2900 and then another $500 for install, that was about 2 years ago.

FZJFillmore said:
Have prices jumped on the SC? I helped someone local get one with our club's discount at our local dealer, but I don't recall it being over $3,200 list. Just FYI, with the discount, this guy paid $2900 and then another $500 for install, that was about 2 years ago.

I think they used to list for about $3,300 or more.

Got mine a while back really cheap when some wacko bailed on the purchase.

Sounds like you did the right thing to bail on it - really sounds like the guy had no idea what he was talking about.

So,

This guy is trying to sell this yet again...what SHOULD be included in the standard TRD box.....how could one tell if it was complete and correct

Jeff

for MUCH less than before...

I have driven an FZJ80 with the SC and a rechip. Nice horsepower, but not awesome. I don't want to buy 92 octane gas.

See you in the slow lane...

M

IIRC, craigslist has a TRD SC for sale for around $2000 un-used. Saw it early this week.

Cheers

I know the one he is talking about also. I thought about it for a second, factored in the cost of replacing the head gasket and cooling system, and said screw it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom