1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

80 series with black rims

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by Capocaccia, Aug 24, 2006.

1. Capocaccia

Capocaccia

If you have any pictures of them please help me out. Im trying to get an idea of what these would look like first. Also, what size in that rim would I need and what are the advantages or disadvantages of backspacing these rims a little?

EDIT: No more steelies, I need these rims to be long term. What about powdercoating the stock OME wheels black? How does that look? Ive never seen powdercoating up close I dont think. And also, how easy is it to chip the powdercoat?

2. Cruiserdrew

Cruiserdrew SILVER Star

I run aftermarket black steel wheels similar to what you picture. They are OK for offroad, but even new they are not all that straight and true. I'm going back to my aluminum OEMs when I get a chance. If you want to run steel, the OEM steelies look great and I wish I had a set. Unfortunately, Toyota thinks they are made from gold. The size is easy- 16 x 8.

3. NorCalDoug

NorCalDoug problems solved daily...

I agree with cruiserdrew. I've had a set very similar to those for a couple years and will be going back to the alloys soon. I'll probably paint the alloys black to match the color scheme I have going...

I'll eventually get some custom-made steelies or pick up the OEM steelies...the aftermarket ones don't seem to remain straight and true very long.

4. Capocaccia

Capocaccia

Ok well what about powdercoating the stock OEM rims then? How does that look? Ive never seen powdercoating up close I dont think. And also, how easy is it to chip the powdercoat?

5. wob

wob

6. NorCalDoug

I've seen OEM alloys rattle-can'd black. That doesn't look bad either...and much easier to touch up after beating the crap out of the wheels.

7. wob

wob

I've been so tempted to do just that. Didn't Junk do that on his?

8. NorCalDoug

I'm not sure if Junk did...but it wouldn't surprise me if he did.

I saw another forum member who'd done it when I was on the last Death Valley trip. IMO, they looked just fine with Krylon gloss black.

9. tcb

tcb

Media:
    Albums:
    Not an 80 series, but mine are rattle can flat black. Holding up fairly well and it is nothing to paint them again... Best part, it cost me $1.99!

10. Gumby

Gumby Supamod Staff Member s-Moderator

I like black rims, especially semi gloss black, on just about anything.

My 80 and my 55 have blacked out powdercoated alloy rims. It's the anti-bling

11. Capocaccia

Capocaccia

Yay! I ordered my rims today. I settled for a Pro Comp Alloy that is just straight up black. Not like a gloss black but like a matte black. Heres a picture of them.

[​IMG]

12. alkaline747trio

alkaline747trio

Those should look good. I have a set of US Wheel Modulars, black w/ chrome lip. I am considering getting the lip powdercoated to match the center of the wheel.

13. Mickldo

Mickldo

These rims look the goods. You've gotta love black rims. Here's a pic of mine with powdercoated black OEM steelies.

View attachment 90115

:cheers:

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">