80 series window switch information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Just got one for my grandmas 92 Camry. The master power switch died and ordered one from Switchdoctor.net. It was only $55 and fits good. The company was easy to deal with. The Camry switch fits LC's also. Just cross reference it.

Thanks for the info, I just bought the master switch for my 90 80 series for $20 from corolla, and it just saved me about $230, Greatly appreciated and happy

I had a similar issue, my front windows worked fine, operated from the main switch in the driver door, but the rear windows only worked down, not up again. I took the main switch apart and cleaned all the connections. Those little metal links that are rocking back and forth when operating the window where really burned wherever they make contact. But I also figured out that the switch itself wears off. The actual switch key has two plastic pins which push down the metal links, and the plastic pins got a bit shorter (see first pic), hence there wasn't sufficient contact. I just added a soldering point (see second pic) to the one that didn't work, to level out the missing plastic, and it seems to have solved the issue. Easy fix.

In my '97 80 series there is no individual switch that can be replaced, it's one unit. So you either fix it or replace the whole master switch.

IMG_4499.jpg

IMG_4498.jpg

the whole driver master switch is still only $65 on eBay

A new one? They're selling new ones here on ebay as well, for around 30$. Chinese quality. I prefer to fix the original part.

Does it make a difference how old it is ..... It's helpful information... Personally you could have kept that comment to yourself or better yet, posted the 6-7 year old link.

Lou

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD
Some people have no idea how helpful threads are that are (now) a decade old, you know?

So much help to people who are looking, like myself!

I personally appreciate so much "old" information that isn't archived away.

A new one? They're selling new ones here on ebay as well, for around 30$. Chinese quality. I prefer to fix the original part.
Same...or grab another out of a Camry or Corolla, whihc is what I did over the weekend. I grabbed four DS window switch systems out of 1995-1997 Corolla / Camry for $10 total at my local yard. They're dirty, but I'll clean them up and try one. But since I'll have the original out, I'm going to clean that as well...and if that fixes it, then I have a good amount of backups, right?

:)

to remove from door, just use a spudger and pop off from the front of trim. there is a hook tab at the back. slides right out.

drivers master switch- pop off the window lock button first, then you can unscrew the assembly.
All the rocker switch pieces are loose, so just sand clean and the contacts.

There are two reed type buttons for the drivers window. Long strips of metal w/ contacts at the end.
Mine had a lot of carbon type buildup so it's all cleaned and sanded.

One thing you may check is the trim screw holes cracked-probably from pressing down on the buttons over the years.
I put the screw in to open up the crack and epoxy filled it.

There are two tiny springs that sit on posts directly under the front drivers switch. Just be aware of those so you don't let them fall off and forget.
Cleaning is easy and doesn't take very long to do so it's worth trying.

@Hendo81 has a clever solution above if your button 'feet' are worn. Since those rockers are loose, very easy to do.

IMG_2929.JPG

IMG_2924.JPG

IMG_2925.JPG

IMG_2927.JPG

IMG_2932.JPG

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom