80 series window switch information (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi,

I just solved an electric window problem on my '93 FZJ80 and thought I'd share the info here.

Problem: Intermittent outage of rear electric windows on both sides. Sometimes the driver side rear window would go down but then not up at all. I would have to fiddle with both the driver control panel and the rear window switch to finally get the window up. On the passenger side, the switch sometimes wouldn't work at all. The interesting thing is when the rear window switches wouldn't work, the driver's control panel switches for the rear wouldn't work either.

Dealer Diagnosis: After fiddling with them every now and then when the windows got stuck down, I asked the Toyota dealership to look at it when I brought it in for another service. Their diagnosis: I need window regulators and motors on both sides to the tune of $1200! Needless to say, I didn't do it and asked them to just try to get the window back up for me since I had to pay the diagnosis fee. They said there was no way for it to get back up without a new motor so they taped some "Toyota plastic" over the window.

Solution: I had some time yesterday, so I went out, removed the "Toyota Plastic" from the window, pulled the window switch from the working front passenger window, plugged it in to the rear window that was down and rolled it back up! total troubleshooting time: 6 minutes. Sheesh! Anyway, with help from CruiserDan, I got a list of Toyota vehicles that use the same window switch. Here is his note:

"The passenger front door and the rear doors use the same power window switch. It is also used in Camrys, Corollas, Cressidas, Trucks, 4Runners, Tercels, Paseos and MR2s. Mostly early 90's vintage."

I went to the local boneyard and asked for two '93 Camry rear window switches. According to their database, switches from '93-'95 Camry's are all the same. They pulled them and sold them with trim pieces for $25 a piece. I popped them out of the Camry trim, popped them into the Land Cruiser trim, plugged them back together and now ALL of my windows work perfectly! Total labor with testing: 8 minutes.

Anyway, just thought I'd share this info since I know others will have similar problems. You can probably get the junkyard switches cheaper but I paid for the convenience of just driving a couple of miles and knowing they'd have them in stock with warranty.

Powell

'93 FZJ80 Locked and stock for now (with working windows!!!)

maxnharry said:
Does the same go for the driver side master switch? Mine needs replacin

That's a CruiserDan question. I doubt the trim piece is the same. That switch is a lot more involved than the single window switches. Maybe Dan will chime in here.

Powell

The 91-94 master switch is also used in 89-94 camrys. The 95-97 master switch is shared with 94-95 4Runners.

Oh, it is a good idea to get permission before publicly quoting someone from a "private" message..;)

Search for a comprehensive write-up by Landtank. Rick cleaned and repaired his LF switches and did the auto-up mod. There were pics in the original thread but they may have been dropped when the forum database was moved. I think Junk can retrieve the pictures if you ask nicely.

-B-

When I pulled apart the window switches to clean them, the plastic plunger that pushes on the metal bracket to make a connection with the metal slab in the switch was damaged on both switches. It appears that after 11-12 years of use, the plastic plungers begin to wear down and plastic rubs off.

Cleaning would definitely be a cheaper option, but make sure to make note of any plastic falling off of the plunger when you take it apart. If so, you should probably go hunting for another switch since cleaning it would be futile.

Powell

'93 FZJ80 locked and stock for now

I'm wondering...
when your windows *were* working, were they slow? are they faster now?

It seemed that my drivers side winow was a little faster after I put a new master switch in but I'm not sure....

Thinking a nice clean switch would give more current to the motor and make it faster.

Anyone else notice a difference?

PS: this is great info as I have a brand spanking new drivers master switch, but my PS rear window is still intermittant...

My driver's side window won't go down. The switch works but the window doesn't go down, just makes a clunk noise and won't roll down, checked the window and it everythign was on it's track and everything. Could the motor be gone?

Does anyone know if the 'Auto' feature on the drivers window is built into the switch its self? My wifes Lexus GS has auto down AND up on all windows. This would be a nice feature to add if its just a switch replacement.

nyk438 said:
My driver's side window won't go down. The switch works but the window doesn't go down, just makes a clunk noise and won't roll down, checked the window and it everythign was on it's track and everything. Could the motor be gone?

I'm not an expert on this since my motors were still good. However, there are troubleshooting steps in the Field Service Manual that you can follow to troubleshoot it.

My *guess* would be one of three options: 1) The window is stuck in some way even though it's still on track. 2) the motor isn't getting enough voltage to move the window. 3) the motor isn't functioning. (I'm not sure if the clunk is the regulator and the motor isn't working?)

I highly recommend buying a set of service manuals. You can get them direct from Toyota or they also pop up on eBay occasionally.

Good luck,

Powell

rgmax said:
Does anyone know if the 'Auto' feature on the drivers window is built into the switch its self? My wifes Lexus GS has auto down AND up on all windows. This would be a nice feature to add if its just a switch replacement.

On the 80 series, the auto down switch is part of the master switch panel which has only one window connector for all of the window switches if I remember correctly. I would pop the trim piece *carefully* out of the Lexus and check the connector on the window switch to see if it is the same as the 80. It's probably not so you would need a wiring diagram for the 80 and the Lexus to see how to wire it up.

Let me know if you try this. I'd be interested in this mod later as well. (right now, I'm just thrilled to have four windows that go up and down! :) )

Powell

OK... so I should be able to swap the suspect switch with a known working switch from another window and live with for a while....

I figure if this fixes the PS rear window issue it's got to be the switch... otherwise, I guess I'm diggin' into wiring.... :rolleyes:

Klunky Chris said:
OK... so I should be able to swap the suspect switch with a known working switch from another window and live with for a while....

I figure if this fixes the PS rear window issue it's got to be the switch... otherwise, I guess I'm diggin' into wiring.... :rolleyes:

Yep. The PS front, DS/PS rear switches are all interchangeable. You can swap a good one over just to roll up the offending window for now unless you have a brood of kids who can't resist hitting the window switch! (I have three under 12 yrs old)

pcruiser80 said:
When I pulled apart the window switches to clean them, the plastic plunger that pushes on the metal bracket to make a connection with the metal slab in the switch was damaged on both switches. It appears that after 11-12 years of use, the plastic plungers begin to wear down and plastic rubs off.

Cleaning would definitely be a cheaper option, but make sure to make note of any plastic falling off of the plunger when you take it apart. If so, you should probably go hunting for another switch since cleaning it would be futile.

Powell

'93 FZJ80 locked and stock for now

My DS rear window is definitely faster on up and down. My PS rear is still slow but I'm sure both could use cleaning judging by the dust in the switches I pulled.

Powell

What do you use to clean the contacts on the window switches?? Rubbing alcohool, WD-40,????

92FJ said:
What do you use to clean the contacts on the window switches?? Rubbing alcohool, WD-40,????

if you can find it, DeoxIT D5 made by Gaig chemicals.
like alot of products out there, the claims made on the lableing are WILD but i've personally seen good results with this stuff. i've seen it at radio shack but you have to know what you're looking for. the last time i asked for contact cleaner/enhancer i was shown the PC board echting solutions. sigh...

Last edited:
rgmax,

There is a good write up posted here on the "auto up" mod to the switch. Do a search and you'll find it. It took me all of a hour and cost a total of 59 cents. A one bannana....

Spammed

Last edited:
FlashBeeZy said:
No offence..but this thread is like...6-7 years old...

Does it make a difference how old it is ..... It's helpful information... Personally you could have kept that comment to yourself or better yet, posted the 6-7 year old link.

Lou

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Last edited:
Does it make a difference how old it is ..... It's helpful information... Personally you could have kept that comment to yourself or better yet, posted the 6-7 year old link.

Lou

Sent from my iPad using IH8MUD

Spam my friend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom