80 Series Window Run Installation (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Brentbba

Former Golfer
Threads
Anyone here ever replaced their rubber window runs on an 80 series?

Mine are shot and the silicone spray to speed them up just isn't getting it done anymore.

I've read and watched the videos of how to, but I tend to break stuff when I attempt stuff like this.

If you're willing to help guide me through it, let me know as I'd love the help from someone that's done it before.

I replaced ours within the last couple years and don’t remember it being particularly difficult. Can't remember if I used the FSM or directions I found here. But it was fairly straightforward. Replacing them helped, but sadly I think they still need new motors.

I'm working a lot over the next week but we can try to coordinate a time to get together.

Just did the rear passenger of my 80 and it was easy. I used OEM rubber. SylGlide from Napa made it even easier as you'll slide the run down behind the glass. I did take off the door panel, but some don't. Pretty comprehensive thread here.
Thx, I have read the thread linked. What did you use as the clip removal tool if anything?

Nevermind, found a little tool set.

Last edited:
Hi Brent,

I recently replaced the two front ones on my truck (with a little help). As I recall, it was a bit tedious, but not overly complicated. Just take your time, follow the instructions, and you'll be fine. Let me know if you'd like me to swing by to heckle or help.

Appreciate it Joe. Tested rear windows and they are pretty much shot too. Need to get the runs ordered and I may give you a shout for the fronts.

Trying a different silicone spray. Ok for now, but I know it's just a bandaid.

Did all four of mine in the last 6 months. It is a pretty simple job. Just need some patience. Happy to help if needed. Will be in OC in about a week and will likely make the next SoCal TLCA club meeting.

I've done my 2 front doors within the last 4 months. I did "full window removal" method. in all honesty, the biggest issue for me is my rapidly deteriorating door panels. that issue aside, I did mine on warm days, let the new channels bake in the sun while I did the tear down and cleaning, then the new channels (runs) slid right into their homes with no fuss. I started with the corner of the new run that is (almost?) a 90 degree corner, seated that, then worked one side down into the door, then the other. I made sure everything was seated securely, then re-installed the window. ( I also deep cleaned the window while it was out). Mine did not end up being an amazing improvement. they are a lot better, but I'm pretty sure I have a voltage problem somewhere within the system, or just worn out motors. that issue is for another time though.
If you're doing any other door work: speakers, locks/door handle, sound deadening, etc. Now is obviously the time.

Thread follow up. I've got the window runs for all four windows. Plan on trying the rear doors first as they'll probably be easier. Front DS last as that'll be the full window removal to replace the motor/regulator I've got. Hopefully that'll resolve the window not going down at all. New switch didn't solve it. I don't even here the motor whirring at all.

After removing the door cap and plastic, it looks like two bolts hold the window in the channel. Loosen those and the window should lift out??? YT videos on that skil that detail!!

I know I'll grease everything wirh the door panels and plastic off.

Did replace the front DS door weatherstrip as original was ripping along the bottom. That was an easy job. Amazing how supple that 28 year old rubber still was!

Installed the 2 rear doors this week. I did remove the door panels without issue. Learned a lot doing the first one and the second one was easier. Both windows glide much better now with new runs. As threads on how to mentioned, I did glob on some synthetic grease in the actuator channel and I think that helped as much as the new runs did!

Plan on tackling the fronts tomorrow. Passenger side first to learn as I have to replace the motor/regulator on the driver side as the window will not come down at all. I hope it's the motor and not an electrical issue. New switch in the door panel did not solve the problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom