80 Series vs Contemporary Domestic Trucks (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I have the luxury of being a long term owner of both an 80 series, and a 86 M1008 CUCV - which is essentially a 5/4 ton chevy truck.

While the CUCV is durable (arguably the most ruggedly built chevy of the era), it doesn't hold a candle to the build quality of the FJ80.

I'll just use something basic, like the fasteners, for example. The fj80 uses fine thread bolts for everything. And you guys know, it's about 500 cranks to get anything unfastened due to the thread pitch - and if you're not precisely lined up, your bolt won't thread back in.

My CUCV on the other hand uses self centering coarse thread bolts for most of the body connections. Meaning, if you were to be putting on a fender you just get the holes close, slap the bolt in the hole, and the bolts are pointed to self center the parts. And they're coarse thread - I'm telling you it takes about 6 cranks to unfasten a fender bolt.

Does it make a practical difference? I'm not sure. But it seems like more precision was put into the FJ80.

PXL_20220916_203014834.jpg

I have the luxury of being a long term owner of both an 80 series, and a 86 M1008 CUCV - which is essentially a 5/4 ton chevy truck.

While the CUCV is durable (arguably the most ruggedly built chevy of the era), it doesn't hold a candle to the build quality of the FJ80.

I'll just use something basic, like the fasteners, for example. The fj80 uses fine thread bolts for everything. And you guys know, it's about 500 cranks to get anything unfastened due to the thread pitch - and if you're not precisely lined up, your bolt won't thread back in.

My CUCV on the other hand uses self centering coarse thread bolts for most of the body connections. Meaning, if you were to be putting on a fender you just get the holes close, slap the bolt in the hole, and the bolts are pointed to self center the parts. And they're coarse thread - I'm telling you it takes about 6 cranks to unfasten a fender bolt.

Does it make a practical difference? I'm not sure. But it seems like more precision was put into the FJ80.

View attachment 3171471
Nice, I think those had a 14 bolt rear from the factory.

4.56 gears, Detroit locker 14b rear / dana 60 LSD up front

Believe it or not, it's worthless offroad. The suspension is too stiff, and it's too light in the rear.

With 600lbs of sand in the back it does plow like a champ.

This is a great thread. One thing I'd like to add is that Ford's TTB system was awful. I know it has some fans, but in my opinion it was the worst of both worlds. It has no compensation to keep the tire level under travel, so is prone to uneven tire wear and with it, less traction. I'd rather have double wishbone or solid axle, but never TTB.

This is a great thread. One thing I'd like to add is that Ford's TTB system was awful. I know it has some fans, but in my opinion it was the worst of both worlds. It has no compensation to keep the tire level under travel, so is prone to uneven tire wear and with it, less traction. I'd rather have double wishbone or solid axle, but never TTB.
I had a F250 with the TTB and it was terrible. They have to align it with the weight you would normally run with on the highway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom