80 Series Vs 100 Series (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am new to this forum and looking to get into my first LC. Am reading that 80 series are awesome, but wondering how they compare to the 100 series are what would be pros and cons to 80 vs 100 series? Primarily will use on weekends but may also use as daily driver, although only 10 miles to office on side streets.

Are you gonna wheel it hard? 80 series wins. Otherwise, 100 series rides nicer and has more power and amenities, and can wheel pretty damn well.

Are you gonna wheel it hard? 80 series wins. Otherwise, 100 series rides nicer and has more power and amenities, and can wheel pretty damn well.
Probably won't wheel it super hard, but want something that is capable. Also, have heard that 80 series hold their value better than 100 series. Is that correct?

100 series is capable off road, just falls a bit short of the 80 series for simplicity and hardcore ability. 80 series trucks are appreciating a bit, but every previous series has done that. It is possible that the 100 won't, as it doesn't offer anything that the 200 can't match or exceed, but you never know. I wouldn't buy any vehicle as an investment, only for utility and/or pleasure.

If you plan to wheel it the 80 has solid front and rear axle and the option of being factory locked front and rear these are all benefits. The 100 series has ifs front suspension which isn't generally as capable but can still be plenty good if you don't plan on doing to much technical stuff. The 100 series is bigger than the 80 which is already a big pig on the trail. Outside those benefits of the 80 the 100 series is probably the better vehicle.

Oh man.... You done it now boy....

The only workable answer is....one of each. I love the 80 to drive around and have fun in, the 100 has better on road manners and is more comfortable for me, it is my daily driver since my daughter took my 4 Runner. I would hate to think about getting rid of either one of them.

long term hold if you wheel or even want to just run fire roads etc.... the 80 will likely be a keeper.... I loved my 100 but it's front suspension was its limiting factor and the factory lockers on a 80 are hard to beat. The 80 is a step back in time inside but most things can be updated.... but things like rear air are hard to add if you have kids ... road manners and really long trips the 100 wins no matter what you do to the 80.

Pricing on the early 200's has dropped into the 20's now so I'd be more inclined to compare a nice 80 to a high mileage 200.... the 200 is a lot more rig then the 100 IMHO - but still not locked out of the box and less likely to appreciate in value.

have you driven both rigs ? If not try to find a local mudder to get a ride in for an 80, you can likely find a used 100 at a dealer easily...

all that said - I've had 5 80's and a well built 100 (sc'ed even) and a fully built 200 - and at the end of it the 80 is my favorite..... and my wife's.... it has soul the other to couldn't match.

E

I had a 100 and now on my 3rd 80. 100 was used for hunting/light wheeling and did fine but 80 just feels/handles better off road. Sean at LCS swears by the 100 front end but I prefer 80.....BTW he is turning his 100 into a 105 by putting on an 80 front axle

Time equalizes everything in regards to resale value. Every car I have ever owned, besides the Land Cruisers, have gone down in value no matter how long I waited. I procure vehicles to eventually retire them to the junkyard. There has been opinions on the 40 vs 60, 60 vs 62, 60 vs 80, 62 vs 80, 80 vs 100, 100 vs 200 for off road prowess. Me, I go with a purely emotional approach in regards to TLC's. What seat fits your butt? The leg room in an 80 is severely limiting for big boned individuals, granted a LandTank seat extension is available and very stout. The 100 has ample leg room and I feel like I am flying a jet plane because the ride is so smooth and predictable. Each vehicle has its strengths (solid axle vs IFS) on ride quality and the ability to get you from point a to b.

If possible, drive each one. The feeling I get from the 80 is unmistakable and grounds me to the heritage of all great off road vehicles I have every sat in. The 100 series lulls me into a trance on long trips due to its plush ride and modern amenities.

Get a 100 series for your purpose of daily driving, longer family trips, and light wheeling. DOn't do any modifications (impossible if you read MUD regularly) and procure a set of AT tires after the current ones wear out. After you tire of the plush ride and ease of off roading, I will buy it from you (depreciated value of course) and you can use that money towards a 200 series.

And welcome to MUD :flipoff2: (newbie salute) where almost anything you can think of has already been talked about and beaten to death (search function will show you the way).

Me, I go with a purely emotional approach in regards to TLC's.

This is the logical approach now. These are niche/enthusiast vehicles. Get the one that sings to you the most, or you'll spend too much time thinking about what could have been until you end up selling it and getting the one you really wanted all along.

For me, the biggest difference that matters is the horsepower, driving noise, and aesthetics. People say that the 100 drives better on the roads due to the IFS, and maybe it does, it's just that I haven't noticed a big enough difference to take a 100 over an 80. Counterpoint is the live axle of the 80. Again, if you plan on doing serious wheeling, the 80 will win more times than the 100. But if you don't do the more hardcore stuff, I don't think you can go wrong with either. I think the 80 looks better, but the additional horses of the 100 will allow you to go higher and faster (think driving the dunes at Silver Lake Michigan).

Last thing to consider is vehicle noise. I think the 80 is a noisier vehicle to drive than the 100, especially at highway speeds. I sometimes take people who suffer from migraines offroad, and in an 80, they need to wear ear protection or they will be in pain. So for me, a 100 wins as a DD.

This has been decided already. Read with particular attention post #4.

just a note on "noise" - with a fair amount of work and dynamat/ acoustic loaded foam, undercoating in the wheel wheels and underbody etc it's possible to make the 80 very quiet... (tire choice factors in....) I remember going from my fully "treated" 40th edition 80, to my new to me 100 and being amazed at how much louder it was... that said it's a solid 2 day process to do it right and that's without dropping the headliner ( I did it on the 40th - not planning to do it on the current 80).

what's your budget and are you inclined to mod or do your own work ? those are key factors as well....

just a note on "noise" - with a fair amount of work and dynamat/ acoustic loaded foam, undercoating in the wheel wheels and underbody etc it's possible to make the 80 very quiet... (tire choice factors in....) I remember going from my fully "treated" 40th edition 80, to my new to me 100 and being amazed at how much louder it was... that said it's a solid 2 day process to do it right and that's without dropping the headliner ( I did it on the 40th - not planning to do it on the current 80).

what's your budget and are you inclined to mod or do your own work ? those are key factors as well....
That is good to know. I am still tryin to figure out my budget. Ideally would like to pick up the 80 for under $10k and then just add mods as I go along but if I could find one that had a lot of mods done I could consider spending more. This may or may not become the DD so I don’t want to spend a ton if it’s going to be sitting most of the time.

I haven’t done a lot of mechanical work in the past. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and try, but probably don’t want to tackle anything too crazy like an engine or transmission.

This has been decided already. Read with particular attention post #4.

Search function wins again. I forgot about post#4. Definitely the 80 for me. :hillbilly:

I daily drive a locked 100 series on 33s. It is a great DD if you are ok with the gas mileage. I like the 100 a lot. I have a built 80 series that I LOVE. I daily drove it for years with 35s. I still drive it to work more than I should because I love it. The 80 is by far the king of my driveway. The 100 will be my 13 year olds first car. When that happens I will get a stock 200 or 300 to DD.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom