80 Series Ute Chop Build (AKA PORKCHOP, AKA EL CHICHARRON) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.nexgencontractors.com
Well underway on my currently Un-named (Taking Suggestions) next project and due to it's unique nature I figured I would start a thread as I am sure I will run into some obstacles that will need answering.

Donor truck is a 1994 FJ80 body and chassis.
Donor engine 2005 Freightliner Spinter OM647 inline 5 turbo diesel
Donor transmission is 2 part.
Part 1: Bellhousing and torque converter are from the 2005 Sprinter which has the 2WD Mercedes 5G-Tronic transmission also know as the W5A 580 , 722.6 and the NAG1.
Part 2: The transmission itself is a NAG1 from a 2015 Jeep Rubicon.
Both vehicles use the same transmission except the case casting for the 4WD version has a different tail housing as it allows the 4WD extension housing and coupler to bolt up the transfer case. The internal components are the same I just need to bolt the bell housing and converter from the Sprinter van to the Jeep transmission.
Donor Transfer Case is from my 2001 Ford Excursion which is a OffRoad Designs NP203/205 Doubler with a 31 Spline Ford input.
Donor Axels are also from my Excursion which are Dynatrac Prorock 1 tons with ARB lockers front and rear.
Let the fun begin......

Pretty simple cut and separation once seats, carpet and gas tank are removed.
IMG_6355.jpg

Had a banged up tailgate from my 2003 4Runner laying around which fit around the sides and top perfectly. Will be nice to have roll down window.
65488906131__3562F772-058F-40FC-9C50-52D5768C2AC6.jpg

Metal patches made using a cardboard template
65567722948__B6FA144F-8336-48A9-A43E-55EAB8E9A160.jpg

Lots of seat room with the angle of tailgate
65576374910__DB4DF034-530B-4064-B7A0-4272A250BA8F.jpg

Patching done ready for Raptor Liner
IMG_6465.jpg

Half-pint?

480? (4runner-80)

Sledgehammer or just Hammer (continuing the tool theme for chopped 80s + how hard you're gonna hit the trails in this + preferred tool for bodywork)

Porkchop?

First big obstacle is how to get this NP203/205 Ford case to bolt to this NAG1 transmission
Imgur Post - Imgur.PNG

65688516806__67DFDE42-3EA0-484E-90E7-03B3605472F7.jpg

After lots of searching and talking to machine shops, Advance Adapters and everyone else I could think of including @GLTHFJ60 who helped with some machining and metallurgy concerns, I came up with this process which I determined would be the most efficient way to produce the pieces I need as no one makes them.
I used an input gear from a stock 2001 Ford Excursion NV273F transfer case which has an outside diameter that is exactly the same size as the inside diameter of the Jeep NAG1 output coupler at the bottom of the couplers spline grooves. I was able to use a paint pen and paint all the spline tips of the coupler and insert the tip of the ford input gear to mark the end of it. Once marked I used a 3" cutoff wheel on a die grinder to carefully cut in the first 1/4" of the male splines into the ford input gear to verify it would work. After verification of fit I used a small sliding square to draw spline cut lines the rest of the way back to to the first shoulder on the input gear. I then roughed in the splines carefully with the 3" cutoff wheel. Once roughed in I used a small tapered carbide cutting bit to work down the spline channels to V them to the approximate profile of the couplers grooves. This process was mentally a little daunting at first as I thought it would take forever but I actually only took about 4 hours or so of grinding and worked great because I didn't have to weld anything and worry about heating the metal up to the point of messing with its tempering.

IMG_6410.jpg

IMG_6411.jpg

Section of the 31 spline ford input gear cut off and inserted into the Jeep output coupler. Also kept the rest of the original ford input which still has some of the new splines cut into it so I have a pattern which I figured if this reducer/couple ever fails I may be able to have the extra piece scanned and have once water jetted as a backup.
IMG_6412.jpg

Half-pint?

480? (4runner-80)

Sledgehammer or just Hammer (continuing the tool theme for chopped 80s + how hard you're gonna hit the trails in this + preferred tool for bodywork)

Porkchop?
Lol I like Porkchop I will put that on the list

Bought a Ford C6 transmission main shaft on Ebay and cut the tail end output section off to use as a stub shaft to couple the NAG1 and the NP203/205 together.
IMG_6460.jpg

The C6 spline length was perfect and will only be able to float front to back about 1/8"
IMG_6461.jpg

I bought a 1" Atlas Case spacer from Advance Adapters which is almost a perfect fit. I had to space the Tcase because the NP203 input gear & retainer sticks out beyond the case about 7/8" and the Jeep NAG1 output coupler is about flush to the back of the transmission case.
IMG_6458.jpg

I had to drill recessed clearance holes for the socket cap screws that hold the NP203 input retainer on.
IMG_6457.jpg

Gap from the retainer screws.

IMG_6456.jpg

Adapter bolted up. One of the holes of the NAG1 lines up with the NP203 case so I will use a longer bolt in that hole. Also Advace Adapter part number for this spacer is AS-0404
IMG_6459.jpg

All bolted together. I only had to drill one new hole in the NAG1 case to line uyp with the adapter the other 5 lined up.
IMG_6462.jpg

IMG_6463.jpg

IMG_6464.jpg

Always love the UTE conversions. What are you going to do for a bed?
Gonna do a similar flatbed that @AJR did on Hatchet but will wait until I get the suspension done. Trying to see if I can get a Black Friday deal on ORI struts or King air shocks. Once installed I plan to build the bed and cage based on the suspension travel and tire size.

Bad ass. Love the non-off the shelf builds. Looking forward to seeing the build!

Gonna do a similar flatbed that @AJR did on Hatchet but will wait until I get the suspension done. Trying to see if I can get a Black Friday deal on ORI struts or King air shocks. Once installed I plan to build the bed and cage based on the suspension travel and tire size.
I keep hearing new shock builds from King are months and months out due to backlog. Keep an eye on facebook marketplace for used shocks. I've ran across some good deals. A full set of 16/18 ORI's was listed locally to me yesterday for $3000. Was tempting but I am not far enough along on my link project to need the shocks yet. Need to get axles together first and I hate having thousands of dollars of unused parts on the shelf.....

I keep hearing new shock builds from King are months and months out due to backlog. Keep an eye on facebook marketplace for used shocks. I've ran across some good deals. A full set of 16/18 ORI's was listed locally to me yesterday for $3000. Was tempting but I am not far enough along on my link project to need the shocks yet. Need to get axles together first and I hate having thousands of dollars of unused parts on the shelf.....
Yeah it seems everything these days is taking forever to get.

Following.

Doesn’t matter what name you pick.

I think we are just going to start calling it pork chop. Haha

Can’t wait to see this thing on the trails.

Porkchop progress lol. Think 40’s look nice! Ford gearbox bolted right up to Toyota gearbox holes just need to weld a bracket on top of the frame to catch the top bolt hole. Also the Toyota steering shaft was the right length just need to swap out the joint for the bigger ford spline shaft. Question is will the engine fit with it in there.

C2D2A867-5083-4881-B209-0EBEE0510979.jpeg

3668A170-20A0-45BB-AD09-8E7086EA9788.jpeg

E7288673-EE4D-41B6-8F65-60500BE29D76.jpeg

Engine mounts done and engine is in. Had to notch and box the frame to move the steering box over 1”.

9A9ED82C-09D6-456B-A154-8428CB3F7120.jpeg

496D72BF-17D3-4242-9A51-092B83FD0CC4.jpeg

7405D752-D33F-44BD-BCB7-E23A9FAAC7AB.jpeg

And yes the motor is supposed to be tilted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom