80 series towing questions (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Interestingly v8 4th gen 4runners are rated at towing 7000lbs. V6 4th gens and 5th gen 4runners are rated at 5000lbs. Newer 4runners are very similar in size to a 80. V8 4th gens and v6 4th gens have the same size brakes. So I get the feeling the power plant is a big factor. 5th gen 4runners have bigger brakes afaik at least up front. Bigger brakes can be put on a 80 series too.

Am I the only one who thinks the 80 brakes are actually pretty damn good when serviced properly?!

I can easily cause ABS to engage at 100kph with about 50% pedal pressure...

Compared to the old 40/60 series and the 90-92 80 series they are massively better...

Am I the only one who thinks the 80 brakes are actually pretty damn good when serviced properly?!

Compared to the old 40/60 series and the 90-92 80 series they are massively better...
Wouldn't say they are good, but they are adequate. Better brakes would be great, but people on here make it seem like the stock brakes are borderline dangerous. If you have gone through your brakes, they really should be just fine.

Wouldn't say they are good, but they are adequate. Better brakes would be great, but people on here make it seem like the stock brakes are borderline dangerous. If you have gone through your brakes, they really should be just fine.
I think another variable people aren't considering is tire size and it's affect on braking. I guy towing 5000lbs on 40s is the same as a guy towing the same weight on stock tires.

I look back to the intent of your original post as the thread became very technical. I’ve been wrestling with your dilemma for a year or so now as an 80 newbie (FZJ). As someone who graduated from tent camping to Airstream in recent years, how does my 80 fit into that equation? My answer so far is that it doesn’t.

My observation is that even with a significant power increase (turbo, LS swap, etc) and proper brakes, regardless of the specs, it would be MISERABLE (possibly unsafe) to routinely pull a trailer of any significance (which I define practically as ~3K lbs+) for longish distances. Like with your F350 pulling the camper, my turbo diesel pulling the Airstream to Big Bend with the cruise control on 85 at 2400rpm....yeah, different world with the LC.

I think the bottom line is change your expectations and/or your trailer. One solution I’m planning on is a custom trailer like shown below. Loaded around 1500#, can carry it all and have a built in kitchen and really nice rooftop tent with memory foam mattress. I’ve watched these pulled on off-road passes with a stock 1FZ and go 80% of the places a LC could go without missing a beat. And 70+mph on asphalt.

Alternatively, is having a camper to tow the LC. But these rigs get prohibitively expensive for most...

18080162-CFAD-4B4D-8AD1-CE3BDFD809C1.jpeg

I look back to the intent of your original post as the thread became very technical. I’ve been wrestling with your dilemma for a year or so now as an 80 newbie (FZJ). As someone who graduated from tent camping to Airstream in recent years, how does my 80 fit into that equation? My answer so far is that it doesn’t.

My observation is that even with a significant power increase (turbo, LS swap, etc) and proper brakes, regardless of the specs, it would be MISERABLE (possibly unsafe) to routinely pull a trailer of any significance (which I define practically as ~3K lbs+) for longish distances. Like with your F350 pulling the camper, my turbo diesel pulling the Airstream to Big Bend with the cruise control on 85 at 2400rpm....yeah, different world with the LC.

I think the bottom line is change your expectations and/or your trailer. One solution I’m planning on is a custom trailer like shown below. Loaded around 1500#, can carry it all and have a built in kitchen and really nice rooftop tent with memory foam mattress. I’ve watched these pulled on off-road passes with a stock 1FZ and go 80% of the places a LC could go without missing a beat. And 70+mph on asphalt.

Alternatively, is having a camper to tow the LC. But these rigs get prohibitively expensive for most...

View attachment 2573175
There's a big difference between what the 80 is technically capable of and what you're personally willing to put up with. Yes it can tow 5k, but putting up with that over long distances is miserable. If I ever go the camp trailer route, I'd be looking for 2klbs max weight with upgraded diff gears being mandatory.

There's a big difference between what the 80 is technically capable of and what you're personally willing to put up with. Yes it can tow 5k, but putting up with that over long distances is miserable. If I ever go the camp trailer route, I'd be looking for 2klbs max weight with upgraded diff gears being mandatory.
Yes, precisely my point. And I just got the 4.88 regear done. Diff reinstall in a couple weeks. Looking forward to trying that out.

Lots of good info in this thread so far.

Here's an overview of my experience towing with my '97 80 as yet another data point. We have a popup camper that weighs about 3k or less roughly, fully loaded. We always travel with two adults, two kids and too much gear including a large roof-top box on the 80 and bikes on the camper. This setup tows well as long as the hills aren't too steep. Steeper hills and/or stiff head winds start to max out the 80s power limits on the highway. Even if slow in some cases, the 80 is stable and feels safe towing this camper. The trailer brakes help with stopping and stock tire size along with completely refreshed suspension and brakes (all stock spec) help as well. There are air bags on the rear of the 80 and I inflate them a little but still allow the back of the 80 to drop a bit as that helps put a bit more weight on the tongue. When I've aired the air bags up more and kept the 80 closer to level the trailer has been more proned to wandering back and forth at speed. Of course, shifting weight forward in the trailer/etc. is all a part of the process of dialing in the setup and there are other ways to dial it in as well.

When I've towed lighter trailers with a larger profile than the popup I've been surprised at how much harder the 80 had to work to keep up on the highway. The 80 has felt secure and handled well with all of the towing jobs I've thrown at it, some heavier than our 3k lbs popup, but it really runs out of power when the hills get steep or there is extra wind resistance.

The summary is that in my experience the 80 is a great camping/travel rig for us with our 3k ish lb, low profile popup. I also think that we are on the limit both in terms of weight and wind resistance and as a result we do occasionally encounter situations where the rig is slower than desired even with the foot in it and the trans down-shifted. I would never plan to regularly tow more weight than we do and would never plan to regularly tow a larger profile camper than we have with an 80. Occasionally it would be fine but it wouldn't make an acceptable long-term setup in my experience.

I just put on new BOSCH rotors and PowerStop pads (never tried these pads before) and the brakes are actually pretty good! Not quite on the same level as my 4Runner, but they still feel really good.

Wow the replies in here, didn't think I'd get this much attention on this topic, based on what I've seen with everyone in here having their own experiences, with a well maintained LC and away from steep grades and not going long distances everything tuned in it wouldn't be preferable, but also wouldn't be impossible. That being said I don't do a whole ton of trailer camping as is because I am not a fan of camp sites or not being able to go deep into places when I go. So for long trips if I take my trailer I'll just plan in using my Ford still and shorter stuff maybe one day I'll hook it up the lc when I get the trans all situated and see how it feels once. Worst case I just use the lc for strictly tent and in vehicle camping as I do now

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom