80 series to part time 4wd?? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I saw a post on another site where a guy in colorado retrofits 80 series to part time 4WD... how does that work with the center diff lock situation or is not a true part time kit?

I am assuming it might be an aussie kit ( Marks) he is offering? anyone know?
Anyone have or seen one done here in the states?

bennett

That applies to FJ80 as opposed to FZJ80 with a viscous coupler transfer.

don't know why someone would want to do this. you bought a fulltime 4 wd truck and now you want it part time? :doh:

Keep it full time. ;) :flipoff2: :D :D

[quote author=Junk link=board=2;threadid=9968;start=msg88556#msg88556 date=1073796107]
don't know why someone would want to do this. you bought a fulltime 4 wd truck and now you want it part time? :doh:

Keep it full time. ;) :flipoff2: :D :D
[/quote]
95% of the 80 and 100 series owners is highway and does not need fulltime. Less wear on the front end. I wouldn't mind pulling a handle or turning some hubs for less wear and tear on the front end. I would assume you would lose the abs systems also??
I am just curious.. I own a 100 and and 2 40 series ..My question is why not?

I had my 80 with a 2wd/4wd conversion, was able to do much better donuts in 2wd..... :D :flipoff2:

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=2;threadid=9968;start=msg88579#msg88579 date=1073798049]
much better donuts in 2wd..... :D :flipoff2:[/quote]

too bad you ate 'em. :flipoff2:

I dunno. I bought full time 4wd cause that's what I wanted. Would not want part time.

well why did you fit swampers, if it came with tyres, and why did you fit a supercharger, if it had its own induction......

Your theory is flawed. :slap:

[move] :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2:[/move]

[quote author=the shedguy [Aus/CAC] link=board=2;threadid=9968;start=msg88583#msg88583 date=1073798329]
well why did you fit swampers, if it came with tyres, and why did you fit a supercharger, if it had its own induction......[/quote]

nope. my truck came with no tires and no induction. only deduction for the EGR. :flipoff2:

A full time 4wd system is much better than a part time system for safety. My car has awd (which is pretty much what the full time 4wd system is except for the low range) and it doesn't go off road (although truthfully the awd is for performance, but alot of vehicles have awd for safety). In the ice or snow I would much rather have a full time system than a part time system.

Now as was stated a part time system is better for wear if there are locking hubs on the front, and of course it is also better for doughnuts ;)

I would buy a 4runner if I want a part time 4WD. Why would someone pay much more (almost twice the price) and then try to degrade (or disgrace IMHO) it ?

The part-time thing could of saved me $$$ over a new t-case when my VC failed.
I was going to go that route but with all the ice/snow in WI, I went with a new t-case.

Dwood

As you now, AWD is not the same as full time 4WD, and the 80's are not full time 4WD.
80's can be configured to run in either: AWD, 4WD, AWD-low range, and 4WD-low range.
Can't remember if the 80 AWD is a 30/70 or 40/60 power transfer between front & rear axles.

The AWD dramatically increases vehicle safety in regards to over the road hazards / exposures.

:rolleyes: :beer:

The t-case in the FZJ80 is a center diff. It works like a rear diff but has two ways to lock up. One is with a actuator that locks both the front and rear output shafts together and the other is with a Viscous Coupler (VC) Toyota calles it a Controll Coupler.
When one output shaft spins faster than the other the VC locks up. Then both shafts turn together.

Warthog,

If I were forced to classify the 4wd system in the US 80 series it would be full time 4wd. I'm pretty sure this is what Toyota calls it, although they might call it permanent 4wd which is the same thing.

The 4wd system in the US 80 series is close enough to awd that I feel comfortable saying that they are pretty much the same, or more accurately awd is a subset of full time 4wd. Awd systems tend to have a center differential like the 80 series. A lot of awd systems also use a viscous coupling like the 80. Truthfully words like full time 4wd and awd are more marketing than anything technical.

To me the real difference between full time 4wd and awd is a low range. After everything is said and done it really just comes down to semantics.

:cheers:

[quote author=Darwood link=board=2;threadid=9968;start=msg88641#msg88641 date=1073808921]
Warthog,

If I were forced to classify the 4wd system in the US 80 series it would be full time 4wd. I'm pretty sure this is what Toyota calls it, although they might call it permanent 4wd which is the same thing.
:cheers:
[/quote]

AWD transfers the drive to the wheel with the least amount of traction, 4wd also does the same thing through the front and rear diff, but transfers 50/50 drive to those diffs.

I often wish I could run my truck in 2wd with locker on. If you need to manuever the back end around it is a lot easier with just 2wd. That is why most competition rock buggies have capability to run RWD, FWD or 4WD.

I do see advantages of full time 4WD in bad weather but still having a choice is good. One of the few things I miss from my old Montero is the 2WD ability while keeping VC and Center diff lock. I am looking forward to get the Marks 2WD kit in a few years down the road for my non VC equipped 99 LC.

When did you start putting oil in your engine?

-B-

Can not remember the cost of the kit but it is some where around 700 usd and then you need a machinest cut a shaft for you and if you do not do the work for your self, the install may run another 700-1000 usd. so how far can you travel on the 2k difference the part time t-case will save you. Also you will have to lock out the abs system. As for running a Viscous t-case with out the Viscous coupler, not a problem. The only thing you will not have is the ability of the viscous couple lock up when the wheel spins. The experment to try if you like the 80 with 2 wheel drive is to lock the center diff (which lockout the VC and center diff), take off the drive plates and put duck tape over for the test run, and see how it drives. personally I did not like the benfit that much. I gained 2mpg and the handleing sucked. But it was fun to try. later Robbie

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom