80 Series Springs (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Nice, except that if you had done five minutes of research you would have found that Old Man Emu makes 1" lift springs that are designed solely for carying an extra 200 pounds at all times. Did you change the shocks also? You should do so because the stock shocks lack the needed dampining for the extra weight.

Cary

By the way, welcome to the board. Since I have beaten Junk here, a comment to your username. :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :ban:

Cary

I second the :flipoff2: on the user name. :flipoff2:

Ummmm, Cary the write-up mentions that he did change out the shocks.

[quote author=Brentbba link=board=2;threadid=7149;start=msg59268#msg59268 date=1068054386]

Ummmm, Cary the write-up mentions that he did change out the shocks.
[/quote]

That is what I get for skimming instead of reading. :whoops: I guess it's two :flipoff2: :flipoff2: for me. :D :D :D

Cary

Yo Sux dude. I spent too many mins on your site. Dude, like you have WAY too much time on your hands. :flipoff2:

Cary - thanks for the help since I wasn't around. I'll add a few. ;) :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :flipoff2: :slap:

To make it clear the new springs are just a shade higher than stock so after talking to three people a mechanic at the dealer, the mechanic at an independen toyota/lexus place and a guy who races trucks in baja, I decided to keep the shocks in till they need replacement (I have about 6000 miles with the new set up, with 400 miles on dirt roads in CA, Nevada and Arizona and so far no problem).

I posted the page, because when I drove up to LA to spector off road and man a fre, they did not have what I wanted (they stocked the 2.5"), but performance products did have (the 1") and it was on the way back home. Figure it might be another source of parts some of you might want to know about....

As far as the user name although everyone here can think of reasons why they want an SUV, I've decided to it might be good to list reasons why not to buy one.

http://www.phaster.com/road_trips/suv_review_why_they_suck.html

IMHO suv style cars in urban areas are a very poor choice of daily transportation, so any disagreements with that thought??????

Depends on what "daily transportation" is. If you carry two kids in safety seats, often carry two more friends in safety seats, need 6000lbs towing capacity, and prefer a vehicle that can get broadsided by a drunk and has a full steel frame around it - there's no other choice.

On that last requirement, I witnessed that exact thing happen several years ago. I was at a 4 way stop sign and a family in a new Suburban pulled into the intersection and were hit broadside by a couple of drunks in a compact pickup that missed the stop sign. Slid the 'Burb about 5 feet, and it was hit directly in the B pillar. I put the flashers on, jumped out and stopped in my tracks as the apparently nonplussed Suburban driver calmly put the truck in reverse and backed up to where he started at the stop sign and put his own flashers on. Then 7 people got out and walked over to a shady spot to wait for the police. Nobody was injured at all and the side windows were not even broken, plus all 4 doors opened. The pickup (late model S10) was immobile and spewing rad fluid.

That's one reason SUV's don't suck at all....

Doug.

Doug.

Add a set of sliders for a bit of an extra edge. ;)

Not a collision story but, I was washing mine a while back and I found this big old nick in the rock rail on one of my sliders ??? . When did I do that one? Some Bozo opened his door up into the side of my rig HARD. I started to get a bit tense and then I started to snicker a touch. I figured that if he hit that rock rail hard enough to knock the powdercoat off clear to the bare metal, his door edge HAD to be toast :D.

What the hell's an SUV....I drive a friggin TRUCK...and I usually ride a road bike 28 miles to work and back...across the Golden Gate....

Back to springs, I like my OME's and there shocks, make sense to me to use a spring and shock combo that were designed for each other.

Photocruiser,

How is it you have a '97 with "no electric seats or electric locks"?? They were standard equipment in the US.

Doug

Doug,
I guess I should re-phrase that, I don't have the remote entry/electric lock stuff, no factory security, or little gizmo on your keychain type thing. It also does have cloth, PO said he ordered it that way, and waited 8 months to get it. He ordered it w/ no security stuff/remote entry, cloth seats, non-motorized seats, no roof rack, no running boards and w/lockers. It's kind of a bare bones cruiser for a 97. I have not seen another 97 with cloth around. I should consult C-Dan and see if you can really do that or what gives???

Jeff

Yes, a possible combination. Yes very rare.

I don't have the remote lock/unlock fob alarm system either. Thankfully.

Ed

Can you spell o-f-f-t-o-p-i-c ?

IdahoDoug- a common misconception about SUVs and safety. A large passenger car (Audi A8, BMW 7 series, Mercedes, Ford Crown Vic, etc.) or Minivan (Toyota Sienna, Ford Freestar) is generally safer than a Landcruiser even though they do not have BOF construction. This is in large part due to less rollover risk, but also because the crumple zones on light trucks do not perform as well in crash tests as those of the large cars and minivans (look at some IIHS data). Unfortunately, this false sense of security is shared by most of the soccer moms out there who think they are protecting their kids by driving an SUV, when there are actually much safer choices out there if safety (not image) were their top priority.

[quote author=alaskacruiser link=board=2;threadid=7149;start=msg60674#msg60674 date=1068326425]
IdahoDoug- a common misconception about SUVs and safety. A large passenger car (Audi A8, BMW 7 series, Mercedes, Ford Crown Vic, etc.) or Minivan (Toyota Sienna, Ford Freestar) is generally safer than a Landcruiser even though they do not have BOF construction. This is in large part due to less rollover risk, but also because the crumple zones on light trucks do not perform as well in crash tests as those of the large cars and minivans (look at some IIHS data). Unfortunately, this false sense of security is shared by most of the soccer moms out there who think they are protecting their kids by driving an SUV, when there are actually much safer choices out there if safety (not image) were their top priority.
[/quote]

Can't afford a new large european sedan, or the maintenance on an older one (92 5 series wagon in the driveway, been trying to sell for 8 months, it's in good shape but alot of $$$ to get it that way), wouldn't drive a Ford Crown Vic, don't like minivans, so I'll take my LC over a comprably priced car and enjoy it. I feel pretty confident about it's ability to protect me relative to... say a 1999 Nissan Sentra. While there are safer choices for some they aren't neccessarily practical, hopefully people are beginning to make more informed choices based on what their priorities are.
What really gets me about this thread is, I don't like being told what I should drive, guess I'm just old fashioned that way and still want to be able to have some freedom of choice re: my vehicle. :mad:

It's kind of a bare bones cruiser for a 97. I have not seen another 97 with cloth around. I should consult C-Dan and see if you can really do that or what gives???
I've only seen one Landcruiser with Leather Seat's and that was a 120 Series at the National 4x4 Show a few weeks back. :banana:

In reguards to crash tests, they don't take into account the real world mass advantage of the 80 over most other vehicles. And they really don't take into account ARB front bumper, slee sliders and slee rear bumper. :D :D. However with rollover: buckle up and hold on. Still you don't hear about many people being severely injured or dieing in 80s. When you do see horiffic crash pics or stories with 80s involved, the occupants are usually pretty much alright. Isn't that the goal, to survive pretty much ok. I will risk it in my 80. WHOA, way OT.
Sean

...now that we're pff topic, I tend to agree with MTNRAT. As has been discussed before, while it's true that other vehicles do perform better in crash tests than 80s - I believe these tests, offsets and head on, are into solid barriers. The 80 doesn't crumple as well as some other vehicles. However, crashing head on or offset into a 7 series, etc...I would take the 80.

A large part of my decision to go back to a Land Cruiser when we had kids was the safety factor. I was just finishing grad school when I witnessed, and was on scene for, a bad accident. PU truck ran stop light into 3 lane rush hour traffic (he had been drinking) - Husband and wife badly hurt, but lived. The frnt passenger took the hit - the guy's ~70 yo mother. I was working on her when the fire dept arrived. A fire fighter in back and me in the frnt - at one point time seemed to stop - we both looked at each other and that was it - DOA on arrival at the hospital.

Had kids, live in a snowy place that could use 4wd, like to off road, wife wanted to go back to Land Cruisers - bought the truck and couldn't feel better about it.

Now that being said, I don't think too many of as disagree with SUV_SUXs comment that the SUV 'boom' is a bit too much.

Cheers, Hugh

It's all about the mass. If you run into a solid concrete wall I'd reather be in a Mercedes sedan. If I am in a car wreck I would reather be in the LC if the other person is driving a Mercedes. Mercedes 3400 lbs. LC 4800 lbs. Works the same way in football :) Now what we all have to worry about is hitting a concrete truck :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom