80 series Slinky/ICON Long Travel Suspension officially coming to the U.S.A. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

GW Nugget

Do the best you can with what you have...
GOLD Star
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Darren M. @AutoCraft Aus PM me last week to let me know that Redline Land Cruisers is the official USA distribution of the Slinky coils & they also have the full Stage 1 & stage 4 kits coming.
I just got off the phone with Justin @RLMS to confirm this information. Justin said they are about 3 weeks out, but did confirm there is definitely 15 sets in a container coming this way.
I'm pretty pumped!
I'm on the list to get a set of 75mm fronts for my rig.
I hope the 80 series market is ripe for a new generation of suspension other than the old school stuff we currently have.

Later edited:
I turns out they will offer 50mm, 70mm & 75mm coils.

Last edited:
What do the slinky coils achieve? I assume they are more flexy, being more suited to rock crawling than a weighted expo rig?

In the most simplest terms to explain is these coils allow the 80 series to run the longer travel shocks with a shorter lift with out the coils releasing from the spring perch. These are said to be a 75mm height suspension with a 24" front free height & 22" rear.

Another way to say it is they are a tall free height coil that doesn't give a bunch of lift.

Edited later:
Here is a pic from @Thomo with a front Slinky vs. OME 850J
DSC_0479.jpg

DSC_0486.jpg

Last edited:
So 70mm is about 2.75". Are we to assume this is over stock height or over saggy 200k+ mile height?

What kind of caster correction and driveshafts are people running with this setup? Any links to some builds using these coils? I'm excited.

For a complete in depth 13 page thread that started intrest in these is here.

80 shock thread - familiar territory could use update

The historical beginings of the Sliny coils:
"PROJECT ROOBY" 80 all rounder build

PROJECT SNOWY building an 80 in another country [Aus owner-vehicle U.S]

Here is a copy of part of it with most of the specs.

Darren M. with @AutoCraft Aus has some springs that are called Slinky Long Travel. I have been told they are coming to the US market soon. Thesee springs have been in production since 2005.

Slinky front 160/260 lbs. 24"
Slinky rear 160/270 lbs. 22"
They do have some other heavy duty springs.
slinkycoilsoldandnew.jpg

10006960_945414732159119_1322567400279816437_n_zpsgqwntcvt.jpg

Here is a snip from Darren:
Slinky
Free height is 24" front 22" rear.
Our slinky coils for front are 260 lb [SNOWY has these]
rim to fender is 800-825mm, and because the last 2 5/8 thick coils are completely dead, it allows us to trim heights to suit by removing a coil if we need to.

Our rears are 270lb intermediate 810-830mm rim to fender and 320 lb HD 810-830mm rim to fender.

All our slinky coils are 160 lb on the tapered wire section.

We normally try and work to a 30mm [1 1/4"] rake when vehicle accessory fitted but unloaded as we see it to install.

Our intermediate coils drop aprox 12mm [1/2"] per 100kg (220 lbs.) of load.

Our HD drop aprox 8mm per 100 kg (220 lbs.)of load.

How we measure those, rim to fender, for 80 we talk 16" rim, and add 12mm for 17s, 24mm for 18s, etc.

This makes it easier with deep dish wheels, than centre of hub, and removes tyre pressure variants.

matt_front3.jpg

Last edited:
So this is a progressive rate spring, giving a softer ride and allowing easier flexing for the first part of the travel then stiffening for the rest of the travel ?
Sorry @half k cruiser but I'm really anal about terms, I was confused with the term progressive/dual rate until I saw this picture explaining the difference. After looking at this pic I would say these are a dual rate coil. In my book a dual rate is better.
SPRING-TYPES-1.jpg

Last edited:
So this is a progressive rate spring, giving a softer ride and allowing easier flexing for the first part of the travel then stiffening for the rest of the travel ?

A progressive rate spring increases rate upon compression.

These are, essentially, a dual rate coil.....kinda.

Better description would be a coil with an expandable coil spacer at the top.

Of all the performance suspension products exported from Australia, I'd always put my money on Darren's outfit, without a doubt, and he's plenty of time to have perfected this niche market.

That said I do have to register my complaint:

Four years too damn late for my failed endeavors. :flipoff2:

ABOUT DAMN TIME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! But I'm afraid the price might drive my thrifty ass away.

Just measured my rig. Stats in signature. Measuring as pictured above: DS F & R is 31.5" (800mm) PS F & R is 31" (787.4mm). The average on that is .25" (6.5mm).
Having said that these would give me a ~+ .5-1" front & rear.

Interested as well.

yea I have an issue with my OME's unseating during full drop with my L shocks. How much?!

So just weld some keeper brackets onto the spring perches. Rears can be done by just bolting a bracket on if welding is not available.

So just weld some keeper brackets onto the spring perches. Rears can be done by just bolting a bracket on if welding is not available.

New territory to me... Keeper brackets? are you just talking about a retainer tab?

My springs are completely slack when fully dropped.

New territory to me... Keeper brackets? are you just talking about a retainer tab?

My springs are completely slack when fully dropped.
Spring retainer tabs or limiting straps. Both are easy. Limiting straps you'll need to drill & tap the axle housing if you don't/can't weld.

yea I have an issue with my OME's unseating during full drop with my L shocks. How much?!
Which springs do you have w/L shocks & do the shocks completely bottom out @ full compression?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom