80 series seperation anxiety (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

offroadkid

GOLD Star
Threads
It's been over a year now since we sold our expedition built 97, and got our Hundy. I thought I liked the 100 better, but for some reason, I'm not as comfortable taking it offroad as I was in our 80. It just doesn't feel like a rugged enough rig as our old one. We also like the looks of the 80 also better than this one. The advantages are better towing for our tent-trailer, and more leg room, (I'm 6' 3"), but that's all. I'm finding myself searching online for another 80 every night when I get home now!!

Is it strange to not feel as comfortable taking it offroad? Anyone else wish they'd kept their 80 instead of getting their 100?

For all the reasons you mention, yeah, all the time... James keeps berating me on Facebook about selling my old 80, that doesn't help... ;)

But if you have a family (any buns in the oven yet?) then the 100 is much better. Otherwise, for real rugged offroad purposes, I don't care what Shotts says, the 80 can't be beat by anything commonly available in the U.S. (except maybe by a G, but you knew that was coming...:flipoff2:).

We need to get together at lunch sometime and talk shop, since we work so close to each other.

I second that. I am always paranoid when throttling under a hard turn even on the easy stuff in fear that I may pop something. However the power, leg room, soft leather, and quiet ride kick ass!

The answer is clear:

Own both!

100 for dd-ing, 80 for off-roading...

See, wasn't that easy?

:D

I'm the complete opposite. Wheel the piss out of the 100 and the 60 is our baby!

I feel the same way. The 100 is so nice that I don't want to mess it up. I have been looking at 80's...alot! I'm trying to persuade the wife.

Yup, good thing they are no longer $50k vehicles. For $20k you can own both.

I have always wanted a locked down 80 for years, but the boss would not let me get the "tank" as she refers to it. So I ended up with the 00. I am loving the smooth ride and comforts as mentioned by everyone, however I find myself always scanning the 80 forum...

Great words of wisdom there- own both! This is how I think I can convince the boss of this.

I will be renting out Autohome tents and ARB ref/freezers for use around Grand Teton, Yellowstone and Glacier NP's beginning May. Maybe I should also rent out a fully outfitted 80 plus Roof top tent (away from the bears), Ref, on board shower, etc... You think this will fly? In Moab, a close to stock FJ was renting out for $180 per day... Of course, to do this, I need to get an 80...

Hmmmm..... better look at the classifieds...:hmm:

I had both for a while, a 'built' 80 and shiney 100. The problem with having both is having to decide which one to use! The only thing I miss about the 80 was having already passed into the 'don't care if I bash it' phase of ownership. I'm still a bit protective of the 100 but that'll change. The extra power, space and comfort of the 100 over an 80 reminds me of the difference between wheeling an LR Defender and an LC 80 :D Instead of adding an 80 to your wheeling options just spend the money beefing up your 100 and leave some over for damage repairs ;)

I'm the complete opposite. Wheel the piss out of the 100 and the 60 is our baby!

I want to be in your situation mac! Im very happy with my 100 over my old 80 but I have to admitt they are distincly different vehicles to drive. Not just the obvious physical driving, but mentally in an 80 or a 60 you are more a part of history, something special and unique. Anyone can buy can go find a 10-15 year old used car and in so-so shaped(100&some 80's). However, odds are if you drive a 60 series or older and it looks like a gem, you're either the origional owner, or spent bank on a resto. Well, or your just one lucky S.O.B. So I guess the search is on for a clean 60..... and wheel the 100! Fact is, no they may not be as robust as an 80, but they make up for it with cupholders! and a V-8

I've had both and for the type of wheeling I do, I prefer the 100. I had my 80 set up to do more hard core rock crawling and that's just not my bag baby. The only thing I worry about with my 100 is the front diff. Other than that, for high speed gravel roads and the occasional crawl over some smaller ledges and such, the 100 is the bomb.

Thanks for the replies everyone! It's nice to know others have shared my thoughts. The 100 just might be able to take us where the 80 could, maybe I just need to get the doubt out of my head. I'm not sure if it's a capability issue I'm worried about, or a "this rig is too nice" issue!

I would love to own 2 rigs, but I'm not in that kind of situation right now to be able to. And like mentioned above, what rig do I drive today?!!

Now that it's the season, I think I need to take the 100 out more and get more comfortable with it offroad. For the most part, we just do expedition style, but there are a few trails up here in the Sierra's that are pretty rocky, (Strawberry Trail, Pardoes, etc..) that the 80 could do, but I'm worried about taking the 100 on.

I think you will be saying the same thing about your 100 when you eventually upgrade to a 200 or to the next model of LC.

OMG...my 80's beat the s*** out of me/us on the trail. I couldn't go to dinner until I jacuzzi'd at home. We can ride the 100 all day long and be fine. I think the difference is mainy suspension and SFA vs IFS ralated.

80's were stiffer and just jarred you 24/7
80's SFA swung you all over the place

100 is smooth, better controlled, an extension of my body. Sounds freaky but true. I never feel connected to the trail in an 80 compared to the 100.

God...if you had a 2000+ you could have my Lexus 450.

I've had both and for the type of wheeling I do, I prefer the 100. I had my 80 set up to do more hard core rock crawling and that's just not my bag baby. The only thing I worry about with my 100 is the front diff. Other than that, for high speed gravel roads and the occasional crawl over some smaller ledges and such, the 100 is the bomb.

If you substitute "80" for "62", I pretty much echo Trunk Monkey's feelings. I'll be looking for an 80 to turn into a trail rig in the next 6 months, but the 100 fills my needs to a T.

100 is smooth, better controlled, an extension of my body. Sounds freaky but true. I never feel connected to the trail in an 80 compared to the 100.

Well, different strokes for different folks. I had the exact opposite experience. Also, there's more than comfort of suspension on the trail. There's ease of maintenance, ease of trail-side repair, ease of upgrading, stoutness of design (I don't care what you say, recirculating ball steering and SFA will always be more durable than rack and pinion and IFS, all things being equal). Everything's a trade-off.

BTW, SFA swung you all over the place??? How the heck was your suspension set up? Crappy OME stuff? Better than three-wheeling in a 100! :cheers:

It's been over a year now since we sold our expedition built 97, and got our Hundy. I thought I liked the 100 better, but for some reason, I'm not as comfortable taking it offroad as I was in our 80. It just doesn't feel like a rugged enough rig as our old one. We also like the looks of the 80 also better than this one. The advantages are better towing for our tent-trailer, and more leg room, (I'm 6' 3"), but that's all. I'm finding myself searching online for another 80 every night when I get home now!!

Is it strange to not feel as comfortable taking it offroad? Anyone else wish they'd kept their 80 instead of getting their 100?

You just bought the wrong year 100 series. A 2003 or newer would have been a better choice. 100's are plenty rugged.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom