80 series rock slider choices (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I will be looking at different brands of rock sliders for my 1996 80 series rig. I would be interested in input on the different brands that are available. I have found Slee, Rocky road outfitters, White Knuckle, Metal Cloak, and Trail Gear makes a universal slider that might be adapted to the 80 series, but welded on to frame. Slee is pricey, and does not protect the Cats very well, White Knuckle protects the Cats, but looks to attach to the frame , at that point, differently.

Any experience with these or other brands out there? Thanks for any opinions.

Thanks. Trail Tailor is a site that's new to me. Will talk with them , also.

4x4labs.com
metaltech4x4.com

Two old stand-bys.

Thanks for the other companies. I have lots of research to do. Hope some folks with personal experience with these sliders will give me some feedback. I will be taking my time to get the best one for the money.

very happy with my 4x4 Labs

White Knuckle Off Road has some nice sliders. Check them out and let me know what you all think. Best price, so far, and good cat protection.

I have some Hanna Quality sliders on my 80 that I have been very happy with. Unfortunately, I don't think Ken Hanna is in the business anymore. These have a beefy skidplate to cover the catalytic converters. I think the cats are different on my '93 compared to your '96, but I would sure agree that cat protection is important.

I'm not sure what kind of sliders the other 80 guys in the club are running. Hopefully some of them will show up to the breakfast so you can see for yourself.

I am taking my time on deciding on a pair of sliders. I will look for those Hanna Quality Sliders. maybe they are still out therre. They are all very pricey, $800-1200 including shipping. To save money, I am looking at bare metal. I have had good luck with rattle can paint. I know powder coat is very nice , but that can add $100 plus to the cost. Not a deal breaker, though.

Buy them bare, paint them and run em, if you’re going to drag them across a lot of stuff.
If you want to coat them later on, the bolt on flavor can be removed, sandblasted and powder coated locally, and re installed in your off season. If you have one...
If you have questions about this idea; I work at a powder coating shop in Albuquerque and you’re welcome to message me!

Some companies offer bare metal, some don't. I am going with bare metal options. That is helping narrow it down.
Thanks

I added White Knuckle sliders to my '80 (now owned by Leon) a few years ago. As you noted, price was good. I think they weighed less than others, protected the cat, and were very precisely designed. Easy to install.

Sliders are a dime a dozen these days so choices are vast, which is good. @krazykat69 This is one protection that you do not want to skimp on because one severe hit to the rocker panel will be way more $$$ than a pair of just about any set of sliders! I'm sure you knew that but wanted to reiterate anyway. I'm also a big fan of bolt on vs weld on sliders but to each his own :meh:

I'm also a big fan of bolt on vs weld on sliders but to each his own :meh:

I wish there was a bolt on option for the 4Runner. Everything is weld on.

Bolt on is best, although , welding was my only option for adapting trail gear tacoma sliders to my GMC canyon 4x4. It worked with some cutting and welding.
Barry, thanks for White knuckle props. I will be at Leon's house next weekend . I will crawl underneath his 80 and look at it.
I just had Sandia Muffler put in new muffler ( replaced the original), and they also raised up that exhaust pipe that droops below the PS frame rail ( from Cat to Muffler) and moved the O2 sensor straight up. Very clean job , under 2 hours. Now a flat muffler, up about 4 inches, pipe up about 2 inches, right next to frame rail now, O2 sensor is out of harms way, but all are still out of way for slider braces.

Progress! Sounds like you are moving in the right direction...

I do want to mention that Sandia muffler owner, Ken Pepin is very experienced in 4x4's, having owned a Toyota land cruiser, and Jeep Wranglers. He knows what to do with custom exhaust work on 4x4's. They are located near Central and Louisiana, on Susan St.

Ordered a set of sliders today from White Knuckle Off road. Takes about 4 weeks, as they do not build them until the order is placed. Not planning on wheeling anything until the Nat Forests open up anyway. Got those 4 threaded holes cleaned out for bolting on the front PS slider brace support. I am happy those were not totally rusted closed. There are some rusted fasteners underneath this 80 that will never come out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom