80 series reverse wire location (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1997 lexus lx450 and I'm getting ready to install a stereo head unit that has a connection for a backup camera. I can run a wire to the back backup bulb connect if I have to . I haven't taken the center console out yet but I'm going to because I need to disconnect the center console speaker ,I'm putting in a sub woofer in the back and I think before I can remove the console I have to lift up the plastic around the gear shift ,so since I have to do that I was thinking maybe there was a wire connected to the shifter to let the dash light know the truck was in reverse . My question is ,is there a reverse wire under that plastic case somewhere close and easy to get to around the gear shift I can tap into ? Does anyone have any photos of that area showing the reverse wire if there is one ? Or if someone could put in a link of a photo showing that area . Could someone tell me the name of the plastic piece that goes around the shifter . Thanks in advance .

The EWD is your friend.

Screenshot_20170128-214433.png

Screenshot_20170128-214504.png

Screenshot_20170128-214943.png

Screenshot_20170128-215101.png

Thanks . Let me make sure I got this right if I went with ID2 thats red with a black strip behind the left kick panel that should be the line after the switch and after the dash light and on its way to the back to the backup lights . To check if I have the right one I can just disconnect it at ID2 and put the truck in reverse and if I don't have backup lights and I did before I disconnected it I got the right one and I can join my reverse line from the radio into it right ?

Last edited:
Back-up Light signal source in cab for reverse lights and cameras - Rising Sun Member Forums

The port that is highlighted with sharpie is where you're looking to go. the wires might be different colors depending on year but it'll work. Did this about a month ago in my 97 lx450
Thanks Lastresort thats not what I thought it would look like going by the wiring photo ,I thought it would be 3 separate smaller connections with only 1 or 2 wires coming out of each connection . I would have never found it . My radio has a built in switch so when it gets power when you put it into reverse the camera turns on by its self or you can push a button on the unit and make it come on any time in case you want to watch what your pulling . I will unplug that wire and make sure the backup lights don't come on .Thanks for your help and MDarius's help .

more easily you could always use a multimeter instead of the other. I hate screwing with 20+ old plug connectors if I don't have to..Too easy for things to break.

OH! it might be somewhat hidden, as in wrapped in that gray foam crap.

more easily you could always use a multimeter instead of the other. I hate screwing with 20+ old plug connectors if I don't have to..Too easy for things to break.

OH! it might be somewhat hidden, as in wrapped in that gray foam crap.
Thanks Lastresort thats not what I thought it would look like going by the wiring photo ,I thought it would be 3 separate smaller connections with only 1 or 2 wires coming out of each connection . I would have never found it . My radio has a built in switch so when it gets power when you put it into reverse the camera turns on by its self or you can push a button on the unit and make it come on any time in case you want to watch what your pulling . I will unplug that wire and make sure the backup lights don't come on .Thanks for your help and MDarius's help .
How did you end up connecting the rear camera?, I am trying to do the same and have the center console removed but I did not to which cable to tied to. I highly appreciate your advise.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom