80 series reliable pavement pounder (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Well I bought my rig this spring with 185,000 miles on the clock from the original owner and next week I should roll over 209,000. Shortly after purchase my previous job for about 3 months required a 300 mile per day commute so I got to know this girl real quick. This thing is hilariously reliable. Only issue I've had with it is oil consumption. I burn through about 4 quarts of Rotella 15w40 between 3,000 mile oil change intervals. I bought the truck in Georgia and just recently moved to Alabama. During those 23k miles on the road I only recall seeing 3 other 80 series none of which looked in very good condition. Seems like there's less and less of these rigs being utilized as DD's in my area. Never had more fun driving any other vehicle. Praying for many more trouble free miles!

I DD mine, and only encounter a few other DD trucks.

Gas mileage sucks, but the Smiles per gallon are high!

Reliability is great, just do your regular maintenance and keep in front of it!

As far as the oil consumption goes, you may consider pulling the head and rebuilding it (replace the HG while you're in there!) and replace all the valve seals. Although, you can buy a LOT of oil for $3000.......

Will it cost $3000 if I do all the work or will someone do the job for that amount?

If you do the work yourself, (R/R head, hoses, intake, coolant, electrical, etc......) then you can by for a little less than that.

However, there is the "While I'm In there" stuff:
New head bolts (yes...get new OEM)
New Head Gasket (Toyota only)
Front main seal
Oil Pump Seal
Distributor O-Ring
PHH replacement or bypass
Coolant hoses
PS Hoses
Trans cooler hoses
Vacuum hoses
Heater valve
ALL hoses by firewall
Rear Heater hard line bypass (or delete)
Fuel Filter
Maybe a radiator

Usually, everyone still ends up at the $3000 mark because it's worthwhile to do that.

The actual head work should be done by a qualified shop (check guides, valve grind if necessary, shimming/springs, seals, milling) and usually runs $600-$700 depending on locale and expertise and you delivering the head to them.

Last edited:
If you do the work yourself, (R/R head, hoses, intake, coolant, electrical, etc......) then you can by for a little less than that.

However, there is the "While I'm In there" stuff:
New head bolts (yes...get new OEM)
New Head Gasket (Toyota only)
Front main seal
Oil Pump Seal
Distributor O-Ring
PHH replacement or bypass
Coolant hoses
PS Hoses
Trans cooler hoses
Vacuum hoses
Heater valve
ALL hoses by firewall
Rear Heater hard line bypass (or delete)
Fuel Filter
Maybe a radiator

Usually, everyone still ends up at the $3000 mark because it's worthwhile to do that.

The actual head work should be done by a qualified shop (check guides, valve grind if necessary, shimming/springs, seals, milling) and usually runs $600-$700 depending on locale and expertise and you delivering the head to them.
My 97 fzj80 uses up quite a bit of oil as well. I got it early August with 273,xxx miles on it and am currently at 279,863 miles. I typically have to add some 15w-40 oil at lest once a week. A little over a month ago we did a Seafoam and Marvel Mystery Oil treatment and changed the oil because we heard a slight lifter tick . I also drive over 200 miles a week. My buddy's a backyard mechanic and says it needs to be rebuilt because it has a rod knock. I took it to my local auto shop (which my family has been going to for over 18 years) and they said that it sounded fine and to keep on driving it. I'm a community college student so a rebuild is very out of my budget. What should I do? Also is there a thread I should post this in?

Are you positive it's burning it? Mine leaks about that amount. Figure one day I'll install an oil derrick over my parking spot and get all that back...
It used to leak a while ago and leave a spot in my driveway but it doesn't do that anymore. My buddy said he thought it was leaking from the oil pan seals, so I took it to the shop and they said that they couldn't find any oil leaks anywhere. I haven't really looked under lately just cuz all of the cold weather and everything

These lifters won't tick because it an overhead cam and no hydraulic lifters.

Don't do any more Seafoam. It's evil and a waste of a poor college students money.

Use Toyota oil filters when you change your oil. I used to be a huge Wix or Napa Gold fan, but there have been failures. The toyotT filters are NOT more expensive than the others.

Keep driving it. Regularly check your coolant in the radiator and the overflow tank. Check your oil at every fuel fill.
Keep tire pressures in check.
Drain and refill your differential oils if you have not already done that. Same with transfer case and maybe transmission (fluid exchange)

It's ok to leak oil.

Do the PM things when you have money and time. Do them yourself to save money and to learn.

Stay with us here and we will help!

Oh yeah check your power steering level too...(Dexron 3)

These lifters won't tick because it an overhead cam and no hydraulic lifters.

Don't do any more Seafoam. It's evil and a waste of a poor college students money.

Use Toyota oil filters when you change your oil. I used to be a huge Wix or Napa Gold fan, but there have been failures. The toyotT filters are NOT more expensive than the others.

Keep driving it. Regularly check your coolant in the radiator and the overflow tank. Check your oil at every fuel fill.
Keep tire pressures in check.
Drain and refill your differential oils if you have not already done that. Same with transfer case and maybe transmission (fluid exchange)

It's ok to leak oil.

Do the PM things when you have money and time. Do them yourself to save money and to learn.

Stay with us here and we will help!
Thanks man I really appreciate it. I've read through these forums hundreds of times trying to find something. I don't know that much when it comes to engines so when they were telling me this stuff it scared the crap out of me because ya know. It was my dream vehicle that I'd just bought a couple months prior. This is why I love this forum, nothing but helping people out

Oh yeah check your power steering level too...(Dexron 3)
Power steering has been fine as well. I'll definitely know when it goes. My dad has a 95' and it used to have little to no power steering. It would take me 30 seconds just to turn the wheel to get out of a parking space :crybaby:

my beat down DD '94 leaks/burns about that amount. Same miles. I only do basics on it. I bought it for parts but it drove so well I couldn't do it. 50k later I've had to replace ps return line, a caliper, pads, and front Ujoints- window switch wiper blades. Only failed me once when an electrical connector under the hood corroded. It's needed alt belts since I got it and they are still on the bench. I grease it and keep the front axle and birfs full and air in the tires.

Power steering has been fine as well. I'll definitely know when it goes. My dad has a 95' and it used to have little to no power steering. It would take me 30 seconds just to turn the wheel to get out of a parking space :crybaby:

On his, make sure the harmonic balancer is torqued to 304 LB-FT. That's what drives the PS pump. It also drives the internal engine oil pump. Very critical torque value. If you don't know, it's worth having it checked. VERY important.

So your question is 'is it reliable?', the 80 has to be one of the most reliable vehicles ever made assuming you maintain it the way it needs to be maintained.

Mine was consuming about a quart also at 172k did the HG, complete head job,PS pump,front main seal,upper and lower oil pan. All is good now no more oil consumption on 4k oil changes with mobil 1 15w50. I knew i was going to keep my 80 for a very long time and have some adventures so i didnt mind spending the money.

-A

Mine is not a DD because that would not be feasible given my line of work. I am also a bit of a tree-hugger, so prefer something more thrifty on gas for DD. HOWEVER, I would not hesitate to jump in and drive across the country at a moment's notice. And mine's definitely got some deferred maintenance.

I lent the 80 to my daughter's boyfriend this week (while his escalade is in the shop) and got a random text last night: "Yo, wanted you to know this thing is f*cking badass" (yeah, the guy is a bit of a dude-bro). I found that pretty amusing given that he drives a newer cadillac and my truck is severely clapped out. :hillbilly:

Last edited:
Mine was consuming about a quart also at 172k did the HG, complete head job,PS pump,front main seal,upper and lower oil pan. All is good now no more oil consumption on 4k oil changes with mobil 1 15w50. I knew i was going to keep my 80 for a very long time and have some adventures so i didnt mind spending the money.

-A
Did you do the upper oil pan yourself? How many hours? How many curse words? Thinking about doing my oil pan arch seal and motor mounts at some point.

I DD my LX450. My wife has a 2017 LTZ 4x4 Silverado with the 6.2.... and it sits in the driveway when she travels for work. I dont bother driving it because the 80 is so much more fun to drive. It's slow AF, but I don't care. I love that truck.

-A
I've
I DD my LX450. My wife has a 2017 LTZ 4x4 Silverado with the 6.2.... and it sits in the driveway when she travels for work. I dont bother driving it because the 80 is so much more fun to drive. It's slow AF, but I don't care. I love that truck.
That's how I feel. I love driving this thing even if it gets s*** gas mileage. I trust this thing with almost 280k miles on it more than my old 05 volvo xc90 with 130K

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom