80 Series Rear Tire Carrier Wing Design (3 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Wow love this idea.

Here's a thought. In the interest of preserving the stock look in the rear, why not use the original bumper ends modified to accomodate the reinforced spindle mount.

Love this design and ingenuity!!

I believe this has been done, but welded on and not bolt-on. So this maybe an idea to explore.
There were additional reasons for going with an "all-metal" bumper end. One being that I could actually use it as a step. I incorporated a large radius indent in the flare to put your one foot on, but in actuality, it came out to be too close to the body. I also added a hole to mount an antenna and as you see, a floodlight.

here is the spindle mount design

2020-07-27_180313.jpg

2020-07-27_180323.jpg

there were no prototypes or sacrificial parts. I had one shot at it and I did miss. For some reason, all bolt holes were off to mount to the frame. I had to open them up to get the bolts to go through. So for those attempting to rebuild what i have, verify the holes. Then, verify again.

2020-07-27_175035.jpg

background: about a year ago i decided to build a rear tire carrier for my 97 fzj80. I wanted to design and build something light and worthy of carrying a 33" tire and some accessories as needed. I didn't want a full size bumper and wanted to retain an OEM look as much as possible. So i came up with this design and build. The design is a "3-piece" design. - The spindle mount (red) - The armored cover (blue) - Tire carrier arm (grey) All three components are bolt-on and the OEM bumper extension can be re-installed if needed. The 3D model of the fj came from Hum3D. The spindle shaft and bearings came for EMS Offroad. View attachment 2382381 View attachment 2382382 View attachment 2382383 View attachment 2382384 View attachment 2382389

background: about a year ago i decided to build a rear tire carrier for my 97 fzj80. I wanted to design and build something light and worthy of carrying a 33" tire and some accessories as needed.
I didn't want a full size bumper and wanted to retain an OEM look as much as possible.
So i came up with this design and build.
The design is a "3-piece" design.
- The spindle mount (red)
- The armored cover (blue)
- Tire carrier arm (grey)
All three components are bolt-on and the OEM bumper extension can be re-installed if needed.
The 3D model of the fj came from Hum3D.
The spindle shaft and bearings came for EMS Offroad.

Very nice

It would be an honor to run into a replica of it somewhere in the world one day :cool:. This forum and the individuals who contribute have helped me a great deal and if my small contribution is a stepping stone for someone, then i have made a difference..:p
I would very much like to build this design myself and rock it down under, exactly what I have been searching for and seemingly not something that is available off the shelf. Very much capable of fabricating as a boilermaker but lack the skills to cook up a design like this from scratch.

I would very much like to build this design myself and rock it down under, exactly what I have been searching for and seemingly not something that is available off the shelf. Very much capable of fabricating as a boilermaker but lack the skills to cook up a design like this from scratch.

Did you have a crack at this yet mate?

I downloaded his photos. Saved as a PDF they are possibly good enough to measure from, and reproduce the drawing.

I really like the concept, but think I'd tweak it in a few areas to suit my taste

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom