80 Series Rear Tire Carrier Wing Design (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
background: about a year ago i decided to build a rear tire carrier for my 97 fzj80. I wanted to design and build something light and worthy of carrying a 33" tire and some accessories as needed.
I didn't want a full size bumper and wanted to retain an OEM look as much as possible.
So i came up with this design and build.
The design is a "3-piece" design.
- The spindle mount (red)
- The armored cover (blue)
- Tire carrier arm (grey)
All three components are bolt-on and the OEM bumper extension can be re-installed if needed.
The 3D model of the fj came from Hum3D.
The spindle shaft and bearings came for EMS Offroad.

2020-07-24_172322.jpg

2020-07-24_172345.jpg

2020-07-24_172407.jpg

2020-07-24_172843.jpg

2020-07-24_173203.jpg

Awesome idea. Bookmarking this one to hopefully copy in the future!

Cool! Are you going to make a matching bumper cap for the other side? Also, did you cut these parts yourself or do you have a good shop nearby?

Nice work.

Bracing on tire mount (as done) probably not needed. Simple 'gussets' off of each piece would be plenty strong and much tidier.

But very good work Sir.

Cool! Are you going to make a matching bumper cap for the other side? Also, did you cut these parts yourself or do you have a good shop nearby?

I dont plan on it but the way i designed the pieces, you would double up on each piece qty and mirror your assembly. You would still need a mount to bolt the armored cap on.
I work at a company that has a plasma cutter so i got them cut there. The rest of the pieces we scraps and offcuts. The entire build was welded with no fixture. I designed tabs into each piece that kind-of interlocks like legos to help assembly and keep them in place.

Nice work.

Bracing on tire mount (as done) probably not needed. Simple 'gussets' off of each piece would be plenty strong and much tidier.

But very good work Sir.

Yes, i could have got away with what you said but I wasn't sure how a large cantilevered load would affect the vertical arm, after i attach a jerry can, holder and a 80lb tire. I am still working on the jerry can holder that is removable. i dont like the idea of hauling extra weight when not needed.

2020-07-24_193421.jpg

2020-07-24_193522.jpg

Im going to upload all drawing files for this in the new few days for anyone to reference off.
Thank you! Then, be sure there will be a replica overseas. I like especially the idea of not building a full (and heavy) rear bumper, which is a real concern in long expeditions where weight must be reserved for fuel and water.

Thank you! Then, be sure there will be a replica overseas. I like especially the idea of not building a full (and heavy) rear bumper, which is a real concern in long expeditions where weight must be reserved for fuel and water.
It would be an honor to run into a replica of it somewhere in the world one day :cool:. This forum and the individuals who contribute have helped me a great deal and if my small contribution is a stepping stone for someone, then i have made a difference..:p

I've been planning on something like this but keeping it inside the stock cover, gives me some ideas though, great work.

Very clean.

Wow love this idea.

Here's a thought. In the interest of preserving the stock look in the rear, why not use the original bumper ends modified to accomodate the reinforced spindle mount.

Love this design and ingenuity!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom