80 series OCD (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
So my 97 1fzfe 80 Recently started to have an incredibly small misfire/ hiccup , almost feels like an injector has a small hiccup, does not affect performance in any way at all, and honestly nobody would feel it unless pointed out by me . Nothing shows on tach , but if you sit and hear it long enough you will feel a very small “almost misfire” my scan gauge will flash 2 store codes very quickly then will show zero stored codes ? I was told they’re soft codes , where the computer picks up something but not enough to trip a code.. the 80 has brand new OEM plugs wires and dizzy cap, the only thing I can think of is an injector starting to show signs of it getting weak, I’ve ran fuel injector cleaner , fuel system cleaner etc.. was going to try a higher octane fuel, then perhaps check the wiring harness , but it’s been wrapped and no matter which why I tug it I can’t make it worse … anyone ever had this issue ? Or should I just drive til it gets worse ? Cause as of now it’s extremely difficult to recreate or show anyone …

Higher octane is going to do nothing.

If you feel the injectors are causing an issue you can pull them and have them flow checked and cleaned.

Higher octane is going to do nothing.

If you feel the injectors are causing an issue you can pull them and have them flow checked and cleaned.
I have another set , I was going to send out to get a rebuild . But wasn’t sure if I trust rebuilt injectors.. or if it was even worth the work yet .

Are you only noticing this at idle?

My PO replaced the coil and seemed satisfied that it cured the misfire he thought he had…

No engine that I’ve ever driven runs perfectly smooth at idle without what feels exactly like what you described. The Cummins in my Dodge feels like it hiccups at idle here and there but the tach is always rock steady at 750 and of course my 80 as well.

Don’t let mud paranoia destroy ya.

No engine that I’ve ever driven runs perfectly smooth at idle without what feels exactly like what you described. The Cummins in my Dodge feels like it hiccups at idle here and there but the tach is always rock steady at 750 and of course my 80 as well.

Don’t let mud paranoia destroy ya.
True … but I also feel like I’ve never felt this before , and the 2 soft codes on my scan gauge kinda concern me , like I said it will flash 2 stored codes then say no codes stored..

My own '96 and '94 both had a slight hiccup and they both had head rebuilds, new electrics including coil and cleaned injectors. The '96 that I am working on at the moment runs perfect with no hiccup and most stuff is still original - go figure. :meh:

Mine had a hiccup at idle. Donut gaskets from manifold to y-pipe were disintegrated. Replaced and smooth as could be now.

My '94 will sometimes feel like there's the tiniest miss happening. Other times it's so insanely smooth that I have to double check that the engine didn't die. It's particularly smooth after a long drive on summer gas. It was particularly bad after the one time that I filled up at Towne Pump in Albany, OR. I'm not saying their gas is garbage and full of water, but my LC sure *acted like* their gas is garbage and full of water.

I think these are just relatively unsophisticated EFI systems that aren't always going to be the swiftest at adapting to every bit of minutia regarding the current operating conditions.

Maybe new engine mounts will help you through the bad times...

My '94 will sometimes feel like there's the tiniest miss happening. Other times it's so insanely smooth that I have to double check that the engine didn't die. It's particularly smooth after a long drive on summer gas.
WTF is Summer gas or did you just make this up...

WTF is Summer gas or did you just make this up...

Some regions run a different mix of fuel summer vs winter.

"In winter, gasoline blends have a higher Reid vapor pressure, meaning they evaporate more easily and allow gasoline to ignite more easily to start your car in cold temperatures. This blend is cheaper to produce, which results in lower gas prices at the pumps from late September through late April"

wow - never heard of that before. Is this just an Oregon thing or is it all over the northern states? Never heard of it in Florida.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom