80 series lug nuts and bearings? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
for lug nuts is part number “nut, hub with washer 90942-01077” correct? is there a part number for the bearings?

and are both these replacements strongly encouraged for preventive maintenance?

any good links on wheel bearing replacement?

THANKS

Other than rust, abuse type damage, lug nuts are pretty much lifetime parts.

Wheel bearings last a very long time, rarely replace one. Toyota calls for repacking them at 30K miles. Experience has shown, they need to be preload checked, adjusted more often, especially with big tires and off road in the mix.

I think he might be talking about the two spindle nuts even though he used lug nut part number. Just trying make sense of question, but i might be wrong

Other than rust, abuse type damage, lug nuts are pretty much lifetime parts.

Wheel bearings last a very long time, rarely replace one. Toyota calls for repacking them at 30K miles. Experience has shown, they need to be preload checked, adjusted more often, especially with big tires and off road in the mix.
hey man.
thanks i obviously half understood what i was told.
so repacking the bearings. does this involve removal or is there any info on this. pretty basic stuff i guess but i’ve never done it before.
can i also just ask if there is a stud of some kind in the wheels. again pretty basic question but i thought someone suggested some kind of stud or lug but replacement. but maybe they were off base.
THANKS

I think we may need more information on what you're trying to do.

Before you start buying pimped products 🆒 you might start by learning about your truck in the sticky part of the forum. You can also read this to see what your getting into on an axle service.

Not extremely difficult but time consuming, messy, and somewhat frustrating for some folks. Its not a 10 min repair

You could also do yourself some a favor by browsing through this.

You could also do yourself some a favor by browsing through this.

rekcut
thanks for the link. i have. i’ve been through that material three or four times and actually have it and a bunch of the links in binders over here.
is there a specific article i am not remembering? it’s tough to get your head around that much material when you are a noob. so i am sort of reliant on the forums until i can get my hands on stuff and understand it better.
THANK YOU
jon

Before you start buying pimped products 🆒 you might start by learning about your truck in the sticky part of the forum. You can also read this to see what your getting into on an axle service.

Not extremely difficult but time consuming, messy, and somewhat frustrating for some folks. Its not a 10 min repair

thanks for the link rekcut. appreciate it...

sorry for the back and forth. major noob status over here.

so are these studs replaced as part of the front axle rebuild procedure? or are they fixed? i’m gathering they hold the wheels on...

753193CD-53CA-4E78-8CBC-E6905361A671.jpeg

No

The only things you replace without reason are the gaskets. The rest is replace if worn. You'll have enough to do without replacing hard items like that

replacing the studs is up to you, youll have the hubs off if your servicing the wheel bearings so its easy enough to bang the old ones out and have new ones pressed in. in a pinch you could also draw the new ones in with an old lug nut.

you don't have to replae the hub nuts (the two 54mm ones) unless they are damaged by someone who didn't have the socket and decided to air hammer them off like the po on my truck:bang:. but you will probably want a new lock washer.

replacing the studs is up to you, youll have the hubs off if your servicing the wheel bearings so its easy enough to bang the old ones out and have new ones pressed in. in a pinch you could also draw the new ones in with an old lug nut.

you don't have to replae the hub nuts (the two 54mm ones) unless they are damaged by someone who didn't have the socket and decided to air hammer them off like the po on my truck:bang:. but you will probably want a new lock washer.

thanks gents. somehow someone was suggesting i replace the lug nuts and/or studs at some point as an important PM item on facedook. thanks and apologies. got it...

its a good idea to have a few extra lug nuts just incase you loose some doing a spare tire change in the poring rain at night, just piece of mind and if you have them then youll never need them.

as for the studs that's up to you, I haven't changed mine and their only 25 years old so theres that. can they break, sure, but they can also be changed as needed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom