80 series loose passenger side mirror (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

C

crazy canuck

Hello Fellow cruiser nuts, just stumbled across this forum, and have a 93 /80, and my passenger side mirror seems to move left to right inside the mirror housing (which is not loose-but the glass is)--any idea what's wrong, and how I gho about tightening this?

Thanks in advance

RTV = room temperature vulcanized. It means that the silicone will come out as a liquid and can cure at room temperature without any special heating regimen. When you use it, you'll notice a solvent smell as it cures. It's typically odorless after curing. You can get it in tubes just about anywhere (Wal-mart, Home Depot, auto part store).

Ahhh, I see. will the power mirror function still work properly--because the way I understand this, you are essentially gluing the mirror in place?--or am I not reading this correctly.

Also, did you have this problem as well, and did this RTV soloution work for you ?

Thanks

You are attaching the mirror to the moveable mount. It currently hangs from that mount and the tabs tend to break with age, door slamming, vibration, etc. You're not permanently afixing the mirror to that mount; otherwise you would be told to use epoxy or JB Weld or similar. The RTV is an adhesive and acts as a cushon. The mirror can still be removed and the adhesive reapplied. The power function will still work properly.

This is a common maintenance item.
-B-

Great Info-Thanks.

So if I want to detach it now to check out the condition of those tabs, do I just loosen the bottom screw underneath the mirror, and pull it off. Or do I leave the screw as is, and just pull the mirror out?

Got it figured out--it just needed tightening.

Thanks guys for all the insight and help

I tightened my mirrors once awhile ago. Then it started happening frequently. So now my screw basically stripped the insides, so I gotta replace that assembly or do that mentioned above.....

How often do you have to tighten them now? (in miles or months please)

Just found this on a search and thought I would bump it up for those of you that might be experiencing this. Proof again that the search function does work!

Another quick fix to consider is using a 12-10 gauge #10 solderless ring terminal - bore it out a little to the exact inner shape of the "good" ear, use a 1/16" drill bit to put a hole in both the terminal and plastic - epoxy/whatever to the bracket and use a 1D common finishing nail (placed in drilled hole) to hold it while the epoxy cures. I did it 5 months ago and it's still holding steady.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom