80 series Heater Control Valve Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
There are many threads about replacing the PHH on this MUD site, and about replacing the Heater Control Valve, also. But as new 80 series owners come to this site, we do not always know about these important repairs. I have done the PHH. BUT....
Checking and replacing the Heater Control Valve is something I just stumbled across yesterday.
So , I will order my OEM part # 87240-60170 (for 95-97)

87240-60140 ( for earlier models 80 series, FYI ) tomorrow and install asap.

Mine is a discolored tan color at one hose attachment, probably original at 217K.
This is an easier fix than the PHH, but if it fails, the result is the same, coolant everywhere and an overheated engine.
There are cheaper replacements out there, but the OEM has brackets and cable attachment included.. wish someone made a metal one, but plastic is all I can find, but the OEM lasted a long time.
Anyway, just putting this information out there for anyone who was not aware of this issue. Do a search on these repairs and keep your 80 series running smooth.

I need to do the same and been putting it off. Thanks for the reminder, I'll order one as well.

Yours just survived a long trip, but I am worried about mine going out in this summer's heat, so am doing it now. was $89 plus tax with MUD discount from American Toyota. Should be here by WED.
PS How was the AZ trip?

Part came in, and I got it in this afternoon. Not too hard and I didn't have too much trouble with hooking back up the cable. This always makes me worry, if it goes well. Usually, I have to do a job several times to get it right.
Pay attention to where your dash hot/ cold lever is at on the old control valve and reconnect the cable in the same place.
The one side of the control valve hose connector was tan and soft. This job was over due. Glad I got the OEM part, instead of reusing the bracket and levers,

Nice job dude, this is a very important deal that all 80 owners need to do. When we swap out the #6 spark plug, we have to mess with this valve and sometimes they end up breaking.

Another tip: remove 2 screws holding down the wiring harness plastic cover. This allows for moving the harness for removing and installing the control valve. Note a grounding wire that needs to be reattached after instillation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom