80 Series Head Gasket Video Loan (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
As I mentioned in Steve's head gasket thread, I need to tear into engine and repair the head gasket on my 80. I have the FSM and wanted to see if anyone in the Raleigh area has the HG video they would loan me?

I'm new to Land Cruisers and a little nervous about doing the work. Not so much the tear down, but putting everything back together correctly. I am planning to send out the injectors for service. Any recommendations?

I also had read here that ONSC members get a discount at FA Toyota. Is there a contact there?

As for the Fred Anderson discount, they only give it to current ONSC members. We provide the current members list to them. Other than that, just say you're from ONSC and they know to check the list then apply the discount.

I am a new member, just haven't received anything other than it being noted in the Welcome thread.

I am a new member, just haven't received anything other than it being noted in the Welcome thread.

Sorry I missed the post! Welcome :D Joanna will be taking care of your new member packet.

FAT (Fred Anderson Toyota) gives us a 25% discount on parts IIRC. Pretty damn good if you ask me.

I purchased the video, so I don't need to borrow one. I'm not sure whether I will do the HG, sell the truck as is (3x locked) or part out.

I purchased the video, so I don't need to borrow one. I'm not sure whether I will do the HG, sell the truck as is (3x locked) or part out.

Do you not have the time or expertise to get the job one yourself? It's not all that difficult to do.

If you're going to sell, what's the price?

I am in the process of the tear down for the HG. All I have left is to remove the two exhaust manifolds (pass side), valve cover, dissemble to remove the head. Injectors go out tomorrow for testing and cleaning. Head will go to Boyettes in Raleigh who told me that it would be a day or two for the pressure check, check for warping and if all is good cleaning, decking and valve stem seals. I'll be very interested to see what the HG looks like. So far no problems other than a couple rounded bolts, one lost upper intake nut (didn't see where it went) and some tight spaces on the driver side intake (skinned knuckles).

Mike

Got the head off on Saturday. Dropped the head off at the shop this morning. Looking at the head gasket, it appears that the leak was at the #1 cylinder (coolant on the piston in photo was from removing head). Not overly hard to remove everything to get the head out, just time consuming. I used the tips from Doug's video, but mostly followed the FSM. Everything is bagged and labeled. I took noted and photos, so hopefully I can put it back together. Waiting on to hear about any issues with the head with fingers crossed (no cracks or out of spec warping).

I'll be cleaning everything this week, anticipating putting it back together this weekend into next week.

Mike

Engine.JPG

Great Job!!! While youre in there and have time, go ahead and do your pesky heater hose down on the bottom drivers side of the block. You can use either the short 3 or 4 inch piece and the exiting hardline, or do the bypass that routes from the block up to the top of the firewall where your heat diverter valve is. Now would also be a great time to replace all of those short pieces of heater hose that feed the front and rear heaters, and the junctions at the firewall. Do em now while you can access them easily. I'm using napa's yellow stripe heater hose (similar to gates green stripe). You can use a napa stock part for the 90 degree soft hose on that comes out of the passenger side firewall. Toyota sells that entire area as an assembly, and it is quite spendy.

Thanks, PHH has already been done and I have parts on the way that should be here Friday. I went ahead and purchase all the OEM hoses on the firewall since the ones on there have lasted for 21 years. I also ordered vacuum hose from Toyota as well to replace all the ones on there now.

Some of the repairs/hacks I've noticed since taking it apart are interesting and some are disturbing. I didn't realize you could use bare electrical wire to seal exhaust pipes.

Awesome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom