80 series head gasket poll (1 Viewer)

Has your head gasket been replaced?

• Total voters

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I would never buy an 80 that got a full engine rebuild from a mechanic, parts and labor and machine work for $4k, there would have to be a lot of corners cut, cheap Chinese parts etc. most people that rebuild the motor themselves have more than $4k in parts, plus another $500-$1000 in machine work. And then many, many hours of wrenching too.
It's possible I may have misunderstood him then, as we were talking about HG failures at the time. It was right after I had purchased the 80, early last year and I needed an ASAP front DS Axle rebuilt before a Colorado trip. I was aware of the HG problems and asked if he's done many, which he had. Thinking back, I do recall at the time thinking when a HG blew it generally required a full rebuild... So he probably said $4k for the HG and my mind just assumed HG = Full Rebuild. He's an awesome guy and his shop has a 4.9/5 overall rating on Google. When I was there he was working on a 50 & 100 series and showed me around the shop.

I never really worked on vehicles before the 80 (in my early 20's and only drove a problem free 2003 & 2008 Tundra prior), so I never even really knew what a HG was until I got the 80. Mechanically, I have come a LONG way since then and have spent dozens if not a few hundred hours working on the 80 myself... so I (hopefully) wouldn't make that mistake now.

It's possible I may have misunderstood him then, as we were talking about HG failures at the time. It was right after I had purchased the 80, early last year and I needed an ASAP front DS Axle rebuilt before a Colorado trip. I was aware of the HG problems and asked if he's done many, which he had. Thinking back, I do recall at the time thinking when a HG blew it generally required a full rebuild... So he probably said $4k for the HG and my mind just assumed HG = Full Rebuild. He's an awesome guy and his shop has a 4.9/5 overall rating on Google. When I was there he was working on a 50 & 100 series and showed me around the shop.

I never really worked on vehicles before the 80 (in my early 20's and only drove a problem free 2003 & 2008 Tundra prior), so I never even really knew what a HG was until I got the 80. Mechanically, I have come a LONG way since then and have spent dozens if not a few hundred hours working on the 80 myself... so I (hopefully) wouldn't make that mistake now.

I think most people spend $1500-$2000 to have a reputable shop redo the head with new gasket and a few while in there items thrown in.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom