80 Series Head Gasket Failure (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
It looks like the head gasket failed in the 80 series a couple of days ago. Symptoms are bubbles in the radiator and overflow tank. Rented a block tester from Autozone and confirmed there is exhaust gas in the cooling system.

Does anyone in the Triangle area have IdahoDoug's head gasket DVD?

Clint I believe I have a copy I can send you. Let me check, if not I will tell you I used the FAQ threads when I worked on mine before replacing entire block and between that and the FSM I had no issues making sense of things...

Thank you Greg and Darin. If either of you find the disk, please pm me and I will pm my address.

I have read most of the FAQ threads but have not even looked in the FSM yet. My main interest in the DVD are any tips/tricks and recommended items to pm while the head is off (alternator brushes, heat wrap on wire harness, etc.).

Clint, Just let me know when, I will help.

Hopefully the head will come off today. Can anyone recommend a machine shop in the Triangle with experience working on the 4.5L head?

Hey Clint,
I had very good work done by John West - the machinist there is top notch. However, it took forever and John West himself is a pure-t A$$HOLE when calling about status updates. Depending how long you can afford to have it off for the work, I would go through them.

I had the head work done on my old motor by HRT Performance in Durham (near DBAP). They were quick, and did fine on the valve job and head work, but they also did the machine work on the block I bought from Jerry which turned out to have a couple of issues (cylinder walls honed slick like a race motor, wrong cam plug installed - would have resulted in catastrophic premature failure). If you go w/ HRT, I would suggest you do your homework and make sure they use the right parts. John West's machinist otoh has a lot of knowledge on Toyotas.

:beer: R

Hey Clint,
I had very good work done by John West - the machinist there is top notch. However, it took forever and John West himself is a pure-t A$$HOLE when calling about status updates. Depending how long you can afford to have it off for the work, I would go through them.

I had the head work done on my old motor by HRT Performance in Durham (near DBAP). They were quick, and did fine on the valve job and head work, but they also did the machine work on the block I bought from Jerry which turned out to have a couple of issues (cylinder walls honed slick like a race motor, wrong cam plug installed - would have resulted in catastrophic premature failure). If you go w/ HRT, I would suggest you do your homework and make sure they use the right parts. John West's machinist otoh has a lot of knowledge on Toyotas.

:beer: R

HRT did the previous work on that block, just for the record...

Thanks guys for the input. Ramon, I'll give you a call to discuss John West. He is down the street from my office and I have seen many cruisers (mostly 40s, 60s, and 62s) in his parking lot.

With a lot of help from Eric, we got the head pulled today. :beer: Now time for some cleaning and pick up the gasket kit from Fred Anderson...

DSC06064_123013.jpg

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom