80 series Gullwing Flip Up Windows new security option input (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

LandCruiserPhil

Peter Pan Syndrome
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Gullwing Flip Up Windows with additional combination lock for another level of security. Also gives you the ability to lock your keys inside or give access to a friend. This idea comes from one of our adventure seeking surfer needing a quick safe place for his keys when surf is up.

The lock dial face locks in position when open or locked giving another level of security to the passer by not knowing its status.

Note: The finish on the test window pictured is spray paint not our standard high quality light textured powder coated finish.

Do you think this should be added as a standard feature to our Gullwing Windows?

Tt9YJBulV8-qY1RRWdJCRZVjYrsP04ACdEUASjVGdyThjn6r1LLf7ygWo6BGCI_KR0KRumeQZfd07eK914b--T09_k-4BvVB-8ietdKEeU2HTDCwjRqYJktWVMKwNCrWLA0rfByO5FyYdH0ww0jgc5nayP3gqrOrTjuqfti318-qPci2BiytkiFOv0TJdsLOInFHToaJezic_WO0zZkuLsTY_Ghtd-UrRxz8w3IzNxPQsvHixQitYveVD2vATOLGHt_ZycR-pkWJqIdLqr2KjE9PBv0rC8FoRZ5GYvUFlZw94O2UfD1NFfLkIlL5E0XquTgmFXQ_E2islxRamgZ0gKpMAAHZJAByPImdVDdFSRZD0B4SNXfFiNWMjJupJYN6ZDV7iQTKq7uiQmSCrz2tKIzIzavEqr-DIz9ZkcsNXmenfszrn7C1fjSr1y4NXRkpjQtZktjOfPZBAcowuHfhR8jURj0fJzswjxZEebxdHYsggKcZWmuOw1_OGzsw6wEXLSupDc9FDof77PeXXhvxG1mAwWlNtdcrnmHm7bhjruIs5YYZxuTyyQim4yPqtcEx-aDqAJ2zO0YncSaXjJxXuqLm7RCX9feGUrysldxqEf8=w1146-h860-no

KbziyPdGV2OElW7vp-KDw1dNN1UnWLEbgS7tarmf-xGF1-KviyXWXmSFbiPLifVTEvxQBhIeK69XqC8oaa5SCWLUyUs7hUiOBf2o7cVYvWZ0K6_GANr-nvyCR05iSZL_nmaDvIWkg55F5H6kmuhbJDEzd2o9IdcFxOkkfjTGgpcBqi2zmDJ3xDrTYeNSY60r5UbsgTW9EZkldaTthIVVPJyt9Cer6wt74BjJ3bhONCMw1zz-hwTkG1cjIrv-X-dBcngWS-RdxxSOpL6umHjBdNT42ImT5zSK7Bul6tsoqLqwXP-CJSci5wYDx9tyK6z6Shh7jCb_kQZYc_PXz7vmS-XR8q7gncpTkrEw0Ja529ptWfBfGTsB-RUrfRayQ8SjIHqy2piFWA4DaL-zhRfToSiewbwzcMN3OvGRgdZQnqAZOIJwt0pQFKauF3f1qww3nUIcSHhEknSMZmm_7CrpQNdB4hRRA9iWIIhj-UyCxPI1SNHX9HW1dq92Y24y1mbSxsrej-fZD5aK2TS8U3ZS1myGAct571HPTHWgpAXg5BznSZsxDoJGR6HDh_eamNFRRJallTvGUTj_3RERybagnPeU15Lv_mY728NZ5qeudYc=w1146-h860-no

do you have a link to your website

do you have a link to your website

In my signature at the bottom of all my post. If you are on a phone you will need to turn your phone sideways to see IH8MUD signatures.

Also at the top of the google search page:D

clickable link ► LandCruiserProducts.com

Lots of info and Gullwing pictures on our Instagram clickable link and follow me ► LandCruiserPhil on IG

Note:Lock is not on our website pending input:)

Last edited:
I like the concept (FORD uses 4 digits :D) but I think the lock would only survive in a certain climate. Road salt, dust, moisture would render that lock inoperable in a few seasons. Even with regular WD-40 soakings, most of my outdoor combo padlocks on trailers only survive 2-3 winters on the road.

As a key-less way to get into the truck, GREAT OPTION. Just use a different lock that is more weatherproof. One of your windows is on my list and I would purchase that option.

my experience: if they want in, they just break the glass.... for me, they didn't even check to see if the door was open. i'd like the convenience of just he combo so you wouldn't have another key but based on what i've seen, it won't add any additional security

I like the concept (FORD uses 4 digits :D) but I think the lock would only survive in a certain climate. Road salt, dust, moisture would render that lock inoperable in a few seasons. Even with regular WD-40 soakings, most of my outdoor combo padlocks on trailers only survive 2-3 winters on the road.

As a key-less way to get into the truck, GREAT OPTION. Just use a different lock that is more weatherproof. One of your windows is on my list and I would purchase that option.

Four digit are available by the same company but given the application:meh:

I have used the same locks on my travel trailer (3 digit) that lives on the beach in Mexico for the last couple years and it still works fine (as of last week) You do bring up a good point with winter and salt but its something I have zero experience with. Do you think the winter is tougher that the beach for corrosion?

A weather proof rubber cover is available if you think it would help with the winter weather.

combi-cam-cover-side.jpg

Last edited:
my experience: if they want in, they just break the glass.... for me, they didn't even check to see if the door was open. i'd like the convenience of just he combo so you wouldn't have another key but based on what i've seen, it won't add any additional security

I agree 100% as for break in, an experienced thief would not look at a Gullwing, a window is much easier and faster. Like you said the main part is convenience without the need for a key and a common one at that. FWIW I rarely lock my gullwing windows mainly for the reason above and most honest people dont try opening other peoples stuff.

I’ll be ordering these this winter and would love this feature.

Cool to hear
How do you see the rubber boot protection? For the additional $5 should it just be included?

I have used the same locks on my travel trailer (3 digit) that lives on the beach in Mexico for the last couple years and it still works fine (as of last week) You do bring up a good point with winter and salt but its something I have zero experience with. Do you think the winter is tougher that the beach for corrosion?

A weather proof rubber cover is available if you think it would help with the winter weather.

combi-cam-cover-side.jpg

Road salt spray usually is a mix of liquid salt and gritty road grime and penetrates any nook and cranny. The rubber weather boot would work fine for keeping that out though. It also looks like it is a replaceable part so that if the boot were to get damaged/lost down the road you could just get a new one.

4 digit was just giving you grief, 3 is fine ;)

I think the real issue is searching for new lock cylinders for the southco latches. That extra "lock" looks like something you'd find on a a suitcase. Not to mention if the other two southco latches are unlocked, I could guarantee I could get through that thing with just my hands. I think solving the issue of added protection with another lock is kindof useless since in the end of it you have 3 locks and all of them can be gotten into fairly easily. But then again I can break glass with a hammer, its all pretty easy.

I think the real issue is searching for new lock cylinders for the southco latches. That extra "lock" looks like something you'd find on a a suitcase. Not to mention if the other two southco latches are unlocked, I could guarantee I could get through that thing with just my hands. I think solving the issue of added protection with another lock is kindof useless since in the end of it you have 3 locks and all of them can be gotten into fairly easily. But then again I can break glass with a hammer, its all pretty easy.

I do agree no thief is going to the Gullwing for access but the Gullwing do give one out of sight out of mind advantage. The biggest take away with the combo locks is access without a key. We owned a Ford with a a key pad and found it to be an excellent feature. As with our trailer in Mexico using one of the combo locks is where the keys are kept giving access to everyone with the combo. Nothing like driving for hours and realizing you forgot the keys.

It’d be nice not to need a key to get into them. How tamper resistant is it?

Seeing how the Southco latches are made of pot aluminum and the combi is 100% steel I would easily give the advantage to the combo. But as mentioned before no one is going to mess with the Gullwing. I had a couple do ~35K miles in South America where in places one is expected to get robbed and the Gullwings were never touched or locked much.

I say no combi lock. If I didnt have the option i'd at least want it recessed like everything else on the panel. Looks too much like an afterthought in the provided photo.

I say no combi lock. If I didnt have the option i'd at least want it recessed like everything else on the panel. Looks too much like an afterthought in the provided photo.
I second this. Recess it.

combi-cam-cover-side.jpg
northeast will eat that up/ has to be a better version but then folks wont want to pay.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom