80 series full size spare tool bolt size (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
there is a better way to describe this tool i guess but if anyone is looking for the bolt size it is M8 1.25 x 10mm. if there is a source i would probably buy a couple.
tricky tack stuff but i may as well @NLXTACY for his eyeballs.

BB316069-B2EB-4BBD-8A49-C7FA2E985003.jpeg

Remember that when you get the new one installed, deform the last thread so that it won't unscrew all the way and loose it....again.
You also need to remember that the last thread is deformed and stop turning the wrench when there is resistance.

I get all my fasteners from Belmetric.

Remember that when you get the new one installed, deform the last thread so that it won't unscrew all the way and loose it....again.
You also need to remember that the last thread is deformed and stop turning the wrench when there is resistance.
hey man.
you are saying they last couple of threads get peened on these after they are threaded in and then backed out again slightly before inserting the rod?
so they can’t come out actually unless you force them?
i bought this puppy used so i am not sure if have ever done anything except look at this thing.

Yup. Once you get it threaded in take a cold chisel and hammer wack the last thread, crease it to keep it from coming back out.
You can also use a pin punch to put a flat on the thread.

Yup. Once you get it threaded in take a cold chisel and hammer wack the last thread, crease it to keep it from coming back out.
thanks. i was thinking about this and you might be right i may have put it together once and backed that ****er all the way out accidentally...

what is a cold chisel anyway...? i suppose i could use a flat head screw driver as well?

Egads man! Don't abuse your tools. Screw drivers are for turning screws and opening paint cans, they are not made to be beaten upon. Although I will admit to using a flat blade screw driver to crease oil seal cups prior to removal, there simply isn't a better tool.

From Wiki:
A cold chisel is a tool made of tempered steel used for cutting 'cold' metals, meaning that they are not used in conjunction with heating torches, forges, etc. Cold chisels are used to remove waste metal when a very smooth finish is not required or when the work cannot be done easily with other tools, such as a hacksaw, file, bench shears or power tools.

Amazon product ASIN B07R8X86KD
They are great for popping the heads off rivets, opening spot welds, and placing match marks on mating components.
I always have a large cold chisel and hammer in my kit. They can be used as a wedge, or turning stuck fasteners (when in dire straights) or opening Catalytic converters when they disintegrate and clog your exhaust 6 hours from home and your wife-to-be won't let you crawl under the truck with a .45 Automatic to drill 1/2" vent holes in the offending POS that has you limited to 35MPH.

Egads man! Don't abuse your tools. Screw drivers are for turning screws and opening paint cans, they are not made to be beaten upon. Although I will admit to using a flat blade screw driver to crease oil seal cups prior to removal, there simply isn't a better tool.

From Wiki:
A cold chisel is a tool made of tempered steel used for cutting 'cold' metals, meaning that they are not used in conjunction with heating torches, forges, etc. Cold chisels are used to remove waste metal when a very smooth finish is not required or when the work cannot be done easily with other tools, such as a hacksaw, file, bench shears or power tools.

Amazon product ASIN B07R8X86KD
They are great for popping the heads off rivets, opening spot welds, and placing match marks on mating components.
I always have a large cold chisel and hammer in my kit. They can be used as a wedge, or turning stuck fasteners (when in dire straights) or opening Catalytic converters when they disintegrate and clog your exhaust 6 hours from home and your wife-to-be won't let you crawl under the truck with a .45 Automatic to drill 1/2" vent holes in the offending POS that has you limited to 35MPH.
ah. got you. THANKS RM. i’ve got about ten or twelve of these Dasco deals around for construction and various uses. for some reason i was spacing on the term. i think these would be considered cold chisels?
also you are dead on about the screwdriver. i’ve peened brass screws that hold the butterfly on bing carb throttle levers with a flathead but i guess this would not be such a good idea on steel bolts like this...
again a BIG THANKS.

DFEF302F-CE79-4C03-8AE5-6FF49900800D.jpeg

ah. got you. THANKS RM. i’ve got about ten or twelve of these Dasco deals around for construction and various uses. for some reason i was spacing on the term. i think these would be considered cold chisels?
also you are dead on about the screwdriver. i’ve peened brass screws that hold the butterfly on bing carb throttle levers with a flathead but i guess this would not be such a good idea on steel bolts like this...
again a BIG THANKS.

View attachment 2381372

You can also use a pair of pliers, side cutters, diagonals, etc. All you are doing it buggering/deforming the last thread on the bolt so it doesn't easily back out and become lost.

You can also use a pair of pliers, side cutters, diagonals, etc. All you are doing it buggering/deforming the last thread on the bolt so it doesn't easily back out and become lost.
roger that. i did get looking at this and you’d almost need a special tool to get in there.

roger that. i did get looking at this and you’d almost need a special tool to get in there.

Yeah, see what you mean. Haven't ever looked closely at mine. I don't keep my spare under the vehicle and have never had to use the jack.

STLDT1.jpg

STLDT2.jpg

Most hardware stores have a small JIS section if you don’t want to deal with a 13mm bolt head.

If possible I prefer to leave the factory fastener in place or source replacements; if I recall correctly, the heads are square because both a 12mm wrench works on them, but so does the part of the jack handle itself. It’s meant to be a tool which doesnt require other tools to use, despite the ones included in the tool kit.

Most hardware stores have a small JIS section if you don’t want to deal with a 13mm bolt head.

If possible I prefer to leave the factory fastener in place or source replacements; if I recall correctly, the heads are square because both a 12mm wrench works on them, but so does the part of the jack handle itself. It’s meant to be a tool which doesnt require other tools to use, despite the ones included in the tool kit.
WHAT? I fought that stupid thing for 2 hours placing 4x stands a few weeks ago and those F*&@ing screws were always loosening up. That is valuable information!! Thank you!

hi RD. THANK YOU. help me with this please?
you are saying JIS (some kind of japanese bolt standard i think) has a bolt head that is square and 12mm across? so i could go and source a JIS 12mm head with 1.X XXmm and it would pretty much recreate what i had? of course now that i think about it (which i can do now that it is not 100F constantly down here...) i could go rooting around in the bottle jack area to see if i lost the original down there...

hi RD. THANK YOU. help me with this please?
you are saying JIS (some kind of japanese bolt standard i think) has a bolt head that is square and 12mm across? so i could go and source a JIS 12mm head with 1.X XXmm and it would pretty much recreate what i had? of course now that i think about it (which i can do now that it is not 100F constantly down here...) i could go rooting around in the bottle jack area to see if i lost the original down there...

It might be a proprietary fastener, but It’s essentially an m8x1.25 with a 12mm square head. This was a fairly common thing on Toyota’s, so I would check a wrecking yard for jack handle parts.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom