80 Series Fuel Tank Replacement (FZJ80) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

OGBeno

23303-56040
GOLD Star
Threads
....is to work on the following....

:grinpimp:

All the parts are finally together...just need some time....
0716092152.jpg
0716092152a.jpg
0716092153.jpg

Reactions: AJP
This will get the fuel containment system back to OEM quality. The tank in there currently is about 5-8 gallons less in capacity because of some, ahem, "blind man" driving. Anyway, I had fun. So be it. Pay to play as the saying goes.

:cheers: Keep up us posted :D

Just a new OEM fuel tank (mine is crushed to death) and all of the parts for a new fuel pump/bracket assy. (that was pretty much buggered up by the Rubicon). It's not an aux tank. Still working on that one.

beno, could you look at the fuel cut off valve that is part of the tank breather.

Is it a one way check valve? Best guess on it getting stuck closed or partially closed. Do you think it can be replaced with the tank in place or do you need to drop the tank to examine/replace.

Thanks and looking good. :cheers:

Fuel Tank Replacement 80 series
Finally....

....figured I'd update this thread I started a while back. I actually swapped out the tank and all of the innards in late August at CDan's house with the help of CDan and Mrs. CDan.

Some interesting things:

1. Rust sucks. Got to replace more bolts on this operation. Soon, I won't have any rusted bolts. I must have over $600 in new OEM Toyota nuts and bolts on my rig.

2. It was nasty in the tank after 12 years of use.

3. Dan figured this would be a good time to actually test the theory that the "low gas" indicator light comes on when there is 5 gals. left in the tank. Since we started with a completely new and empty tank, we put a 5 gallon jug of petrol into the thing and lo and behold the light went off exactly as Dan finished pouring in the 5 gallon jug thereby confirming the "low gas" light indicator. When that goes on, you've got 5 gallons left (as long as your tank is still in OEM shape.... :grinpimp: )

4. Fuel pumps are expensive. :eek:

5. I really need to fab (or have fabbed for me) a gas tank skid plate. At the rate I wheel, I'll need a new one after every Rubithon.

6. While you have the fuel pump bracket out, it would be a good time to either sheath or ziptie (or both) the wires that run to the fuel pump out of the way of harm so you don't run into the issues NorCalDoug had in Death Valley a few years back or the same problem I had on my way home from the Rubithon this past summer--basically the gray wire running from the top of the bracket to the fuel pump chafes on the sharp edge of the fuel pump bracket and shorts out thereby rendering your cruiser un-moveable. I grabbed a bit of commercial aircraft grade teflon sheathing/tape and wound the wires with that and then ziptied them out of the way. Should be a good solution.
In any event, onto the pics. The wrenching on this was pretty straight forward. Nothing really interesting whatsoever.

Best regards.
-onur

PS: Ross--good pics of the valve you speak of..... :cheers:
0823091607a.jpg
0823091631.jpg
0823091622a.jpg

Last edited:
So any pictures of the old man getting dirty?

I see Mrs. Cruiserdan with a hammer, but Cruiserdan himself is absent. Maybe he was on a Keystone Lite run?

When does the body swap happen?

So any pictures of the old man getting dirty?

I see Mrs. Cruiserdan with a hammer, but Cruiserdan himself is absent. Maybe he was on a Keystone Lite run?

When does the body swap happen?

I'm not sure where he was--he was working on modifying the new CDan-cruiser--IIRC. He was brought in for muscle. :lol:

Nice job on the replacement...hopefully I won't need to do that one any time soon.

Great thread and project. The dark, coffin-shaped box was very season appropriate. The paint job meant to scare the devil underneath and the brandishing of the Fist of Death by Mrs CDan certainly could put the fear of whatever into early trick-or-treaters.

Although I'm early in my 80 ownership, I'm enthusiastic. Id already heard of the 25 gallon theory, so when I went to do the first official fill up Monday I was careful to let the light bounce for a couple of miles or so until it was on steady. I managed to squeeze almost 23 gallons into mine. So if there's much sludge, there's not a lot of extra range down below.

I'm already getting a hankering for longer range and I've barely been beyond the city limits. The stock tank on my '76 FJ55 wasn't enough, so I suspect I'll be starting the AUX Tank Fund Jar soon. I do want to appreciate all the things I've learned here already to everyone involved and glad to hear you're getting your stock full belly back, Beno.

I think it was like that because it spent a good part of its life in Ohio :D

Nice to see your keeping buzy onur.

Man, as BENO knows, I just got all of my fuel innards order in today. Everything but the fuel pump. Can't wait to break into it :D

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom