80 series fuel level float sensor / sender -- diesel vs. gas fuel tank components generally (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all,

I've been working on a 1FZ truck I call the 'Holy Truck' for the past 6 months or so and I ran into a real snag--finding a new fuel level float sensor / sender. New OEM ones seem unobtainable and I have not found a used on on the local market here in Dubai.

ToyoDIY says the following for my 1FZ truck:
Part 83320-69075 (GAGE ASSY, FUEL SENDER) was found on the following models:

MarketDate rangeModelFrames/OptionsFound in diagram
General01/1990-11/2006TOYOTA LAND CRUISERFJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80,FZJ8084-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER

As kind of a last ditch effort I started looking for equivalents. The ToyoDIY cross reference did not show any, but when I started searching more broadly I found a listing on ebay for "Toyota 80 series Land Cruiser main fuel tank sender unit NEW" that had this photo in the listing:
1662314180951.png

If you look at the bottom of the photo you will see 83320-69085.

The ebay ad was non-specific about diesel vs. gas, and when I ran this part number on ToyoDIY I got this:

Part 83320-69085 (GAGE ASSY, FUEL SENDER) was found on the following models:

Japan01/1990-12/1997TOYOTA LAND CRUISERFJ80,FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ8184-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER
General01/1990-11/2006TOYOTA LAND CRUISERFJ80,HDJ80,HZJ80,FZJ8084-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER
Europe01/1990-12/1997TOYOTA LAND CRUISERFJ80,FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ8084-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER

This part -is- available new on the local market, and I've ordered it.

But I am now more broadly curious. Do any of you know of a reason for a different part number? I really don't know what to make of it. I've got a couple of diesel 80s so I'm really interested to know if there are significant or material differences between the fuel tank and fuel pump systems of the diesel and petrol 80s. I suspect I am going to run into this again, and it would be very nice to know.

Hi all,

I've been working on a 1FZ truck I call the 'Holy Truck' for the past 6 months or so and I ran into a real snag--finding a new fuel level float sensor / sender. New OEM ones seem unobtainable and I have not found a used on on the local market here in Dubai.

ToyoDIY says the following for my 1FZ truck:
Part 83320-69075 (GAGE ASSY, FUEL SENDER) was found on the following models:

As kind of a last ditch effort I started looking for equivalents. The ToyoDIY cross reference did not show any, but when I started searching more broadly I found a listing on ebay for "Toyota 80 series Land Cruiser main fuel tank sender unit NEW" that had this photo in the listing:
View attachment 3105808
If you look at the bottom of the photo you will see 83320-69085.

The ebay ad was non-specific about diesel vs. gas, and when I ran this part number on ToyoDIY I got this:

Part 83320-69085 (GAGE ASSY, FUEL SENDER) was found on the following models:

Japan01/1990-12/1997TOYOTA LAND CRUISERFJ80,FZJ80,HDJ81,HZJ8184-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER
Europe01/1990-12/1997TOYOTA LAND CRUISERFJ80,FZJ80,HDJ80,HZJ8084-01: SWITCH & RELAY & COMPUTER

This part -is- available new on the local market, and I've ordered it.

But I am now more broadly curious. Do any of you know of a reason for a different part number? I really don't know what to make of it. I've got a couple of diesel 80s so I'm really interested to know if there are significant or material differences between the fuel tank and fuel pump systems of the diesel and petrol 80s. I suspect I am going to run into this again, and it would be very nice to know.
Fuel tanks are the same for petrol and diesel models.
I thought maybe the mounting plate for the sender and vent, pick up, return line assembly that mounts in the top of the tank may be different for different size fuel return lines.

it looks like it is the same across all models too

Screenshot_20220905-124039.png

Thanks to you both, MG and CT.

The Holy Truck is a Middle East 80 with a 1FZ (carbureted) and a manual transmission.

I'm starting to think (hope) that they just failed to update the part number for my particular truck. I will have a close look at the old and new when it comes in on Tuesday. There is also that second sensor on the fixed mount which I presume is the Low Fuel warning light. I remember someone saying that you can't use an LED in the instrument cluster for this because a little current is flowing through it continuously, which suggests it may not be a simple on-off float switch.

I can't see how any of the following general properties would make a material difference for the Low Fuel sensor:

1662360719315.png

On the other hand, the electrical conductivity of gasoline is 25 pS/m (pico Siemens per meter), and that of low sulfur diesel fuel is 5 pS/m. I can't imagine why Toyota would choose a sensitive electrical conductivity measurement when a simple float sensor would do. But it may be that my Low Fuel sensor won't work any more. I will keep the old part. It should be trivial to move that part onto the new level sensing package if that is the case.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom