80 series front locked diff carnage, needs parts (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.tralaz.org
I somehow managed to break one of the side gears on my factory e-locked front diff. Zuk (the diff god) has one of those available, but when it broke it damaged the carrier case as well. He doesn't have that. So, before I order one from Toyota, does anyone have a scrap 80 series front locked diff squirreled away that they would sell me? This diff is also used in the rear of some Toyota pickups and, I assume, 4Runners. It does need to be the e-locked version.

I don't know if any parts I have are what you can use, but I have R&P gears taken out from a re-gearing project. I think the axle I have was actually yours at one point, so it would come full circle. I don't have the 3rd member available.

I don't know if any parts I have are what you can use, but I have R&P gears taken out from a re-gearing project. I think the axle I have was actually yours at one point, so it would come full circle. I don't have the 3rd member available.
I appreciate the thought, but I needed the carrier itself. I ordered one from Japan, so I'm set now.

I appreciate the thought, but I needed the carrier itself. I ordered one from Japan, so I'm set now.
Pics of said carnage? What happened?

Pics of said carnage? What happened?
I'm afraid I am not a pics kinda guy, and the diff is with Zuk at the moment. I somehow broke the more robust of the two side gears, which then damaged the bearing surface of the carrier. I have no idea what broke it, I was on a flat dirt road when it let go. I had stopped to step out of the truck for some reason, got back in, shifted into drive, felt a slight thunk, and got nothing. The front driveshaft was spinning but the truck wouldn't move (I don't have a viscous coupler and didn't have the CDL locked, so all the power went to the front). It must have been cracked for a while and chose that moment to let go completely. That was very lucky, it could have been very bad for me if it broke on an aggressive climb or something like that, or maybe even worse if I had been parked on a hill and out of the truck. I was able to lock the CDL and drive home with rear wheel drive.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom