80 series front bumpstop hitting front coil spring only on one side (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 1991 HDJ81 (RHD) and earlier this year I upgraded my suspension from stock to an OME (Old Man Emu) setup using new OME 850 springs in the front (and new OME shocks as well). The caster was obviously affected by this upgrade so I installed a set of bolt-on caster plates. The caster plates fixed the caster, but I have noticed that when going over a pothole, or a sudden bump, that there is a metallic 'banging' sound that is audible from the front passenger side (remember, this is a right hand drive vehicle). Upon closer inspection I noticed that the front passenger side coil spring has rub/wear marks from where the steel lip on the conical bump stop has been hitting it. The driver's side is just fine and there is no interference between the bumpstop and the coil spring. When you look at the passenger side conical bumpstop within the spring, you can tell that it is not centered within the spring, which makes me think the caster correction is to blame. I will say that the truck does not sit perfectly level (side to side) and the passenger side front is about 0.75 inches lower than the driver's side front wheel when measuring from the the center of the hub to the bottom of the fender.

What are my options for fixing this? I saw the following thread (see Bump stops hitting springs - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/bump-stops-hitting-springs.140904/ ) and wanted to know if any other 'Mudders out there had found a straightforward fix for this. I've seen everything from grinding the metal lip around the rubber bump stop to shimming the conical bump stop where it sits in the metal housing above it. Would an appropriately sized coil spacer (say 0.5 inch or 1 inch thick) help with fixing this issue? Any suggestions? Thanks!

I have attached two photos below.

FrontBumpstop_1.jpg

FrontBumpstop_2.jpg

Mine did exactly this when I installed my caster correction plates. Lucky mine where adjustable so just backed the caster off slightly till it stopped hitting the coils over bumps.

As you have read in the other link how to fix it several ways.
Grinding off lip, removing cone, mounting bumpstop to the axle, moving axle forward are all good fixes.

Would an adjustable front panhard remedy the issue? Extending the panhard slightly would move the axle correct?

I have a right hand drive HDJ81, so the panhard attaches to the axle near the passenger side knuckle (you can just barely see the panhard/axle attachment point in the first photo in my first post in the lower left hand corner of the photo).

Would an adjustable front panhard remedy the issue? Extending the panhard slightly would move the axle correct?

I have a right hand drive HDJ81, so the panhard attaches to the axle near the passenger side knuckle (you can just barely see the panhard/axle attachment point in the first photo in my first post in the lower left hand corner of the photo).
the problem is that some caster plates correct caster by pivoting the axle on the rear bolt hole. Not always a problem but with plates of the higher amounts of correction it can put the upper and lower spring mounts far enough out of alignment that the springs can touch that lip. I'm sure spring rate and truck weight play into it as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom