80 Series Front Axle Rebuild - Birfs Seizing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Aloha all,

This is my first post after lurking on Mud for tech help for a couple years.

In short, my friend and I did a front axle rebuild on my 93 80 this weekend and ran into a couple snags after following the FSM and the FAQ thread for this job.

The job went smoothly, despite using about 500 pairs of nitrile gloves and ruining some work clothes. Having two people to work on everything definitely made it easier, and there were two sets of eyes to double-check everything we did.

We used the Nitro Birfield internals to replace the worn, but undamaged, OEM Birfield internals. We lightly tapped the Nitro components into the OEM Birfield housings. They were tight, but we figured that was normal given that they're new parts. They didn't require as much force as depicted in the video we used for this technique, and we used a soft punch the whole time, with no visible wear on the new parts from the install. We also continued using the OEM axle shafts; they had no visible wear. We used the Nitro set of seals and bearings.

The seals on the passenger side had failed, resulting in contaminated grease and gear oil, but the new seals should fix that. The component that was most worn was the passenger side Birf housing, which had some marks where the housing had clearly experienced more heat than it was supposed to due to improper lubrication. Other than that, we observed no obvious or serious wear and tear on the OEM parts.

After reassembly, we noticed a couple issues, and we can't figure out how to explain them or where to go from here:
1. Passenger side axle shaft sticks out of the hub slightly more than we think it should. The length it sticks out is just enough to prevent the grease cap from seating properly. It looks pretty normal, but definitely sticks out a little too far. We tried hitting it a few times with a plastic deadblow hammer, thinking maybe we didn't seat it all the way in, but it didn't budge. Not sure if this is within normal range of behavior or not.
2. More concerning, we did a test to make sure the passenger side was getting power (and thus seated in the differential) by jacking up all four wheels and letting the truck idle in low range. The passenger side axle does in fact have power, so it should be seated--raising more questions about why the shaft sticks out. The issue we noticed in this test is that the Birfs didn't allow for full steering articulation; we get about one turn of the steering wheel in each direction. After one turn, the Birfs feel like they're seizing, and we get a concerning steel-on-steel squeal from the drivetrain at maybe 2000 RPM. Note that at this point we hadn't refilled the diff with 75W-90, but we're not thinking that was the source of the squealing.

My hypotheses are as follows:
a. The Nitro parts are not intended to be installed in OEM Birf housings, despite their website saying so.
b. The Birf internals need to be seated and worn in by a road test. I suspect our shade-tree jackstand dyno test is not a common practice, and that people just reassemble things and take the newly rebuilt axle for a spin.
c. Despite following the FSM and FAQ to the letter, we inexplicably did something wrong. In this case, I blame beer, and await someone explaining where I screwed up so I can fix it in shame.

Hopefully someone can tell me what maybe went wrong here, and what to do next. Thanks everyone for your help!

My first thought is that you installed the birf ball cages backwards. That seems to be the description when that occurs. One cannot turn the front wheels more than a few degrees before full binding. Combine that with new balls, and you have a tight fit.

First of all "The component that was most worn was the passenger side Birf housing, which had some marks where the housing had clearly experienced more heat than it was supposed to due to improper lubrication. " Those marks are the result of the heat treating process during manufacturing process and are perfectly normal. The birfield housing wears where the balls ride in the cavities. This is very noticeable visibly and by feel when you have the joint disassembled.

Personally I would never replace just parts of the birfield unless I was making a trail repair. When assembling the joint both the cage and the star need to be assembled in the proper direction otherwise binding will occur. When doing the assembly coat the housing with a good layer of grease and lightly grease the star, cage and balls. Assemble those parts and everything should rotate/move freely. Next fully pack the joint before inserting the axle with the snap ring. Again at this point everything should move completely without binding.

You will definitely feel the axle slip into the diff and won't be able to finish assembly without that being the case. There is never a need to run the truck. With the transfer case in neutral you can by hand manually rotate the hub.

Last edited:
It's wrong. You don't need to 'wear in' the birf. Also the stub should be able to be pushed in beyond the circlip. Sticking out and not going in is a problem

34AAE05F-6021-47F0-B5DB-872603B0FE6F.jpeg

Hot spots look like these?

Thanks everyone for your replies. Glad to know I'm wrong about the hot spots, and that they're normal.

Looks like we must have installed the new Birf internals backwards. As sad as I am that we have to do this over again, I'm happy to at least have an explanation of where we screwed up.

My first thought is that you installed the birf ball cages backwards. That seems to be the description when that occurs. One cannot turn the front wheels more than a few degrees before full binding. Combine that with new balls, and you have a tight fit.

To be clear, from y'all's perspective, was the cage from the youtube video we used installed backwards? We used this as a reference since the cages we installed looked just like the ones from the video (with one tapered, dome-like end and one flat end). We installed the cages with the dome side up (facing the diff).

My thought as to the passenger side axle sticking out is that perhaps we installed that star backward... either way we'll have to disassemble and triple-check.

Yes, the cage appears to be installed backwards in that video. It shouldn't stick out that much. Check online pictures of the CV joints for reference.

Yes, the cage appears to be installed backwards in that video. It shouldn't stick out that much. Check online pictures of the CV joints for reference.

Thanks for clarifying. Note to self: do not rely on the first YouTube video you find for mechanical advice :bang:

The nitro CV cages are different than Toyota, so maybe you can’t mix and match the parts. See the images of OEM CVs. They don’t look like that.

Last edited:
The nitro CV cages are different than Toyota, so maybe you can’t mix and match the parts. See the images of OEM CVs. They do’t look like that.

The more I'm reading about this, the more I'm thinking that's the case. I had thought they were compatible because Nitro's website says it's a direct replacement, but because they're shaped differently than OEM, that might not be accurate. I was initially skeptical of putting aftermarket Birfield internals in OEM housings in the first place. I chose to do so as a "while I'm in there" upgrade, and because I couldn't afford the entire chromoly axle/housing/cage/star kit ($200 vs $800+).

I suppose I can always just put the old OEM internals back in-- I'd love to know if anyone has successfully installed aftermarket Birfield internals in OEM housings.

As an aside, the cages shipped to me by Nitro match the part number I had linked in my initial post, but don't look like the ones pictured on Nitro's website for that part. They're the larger, more dome-shaped kind like the ones in the YouTube video and the Google Images result.

When the OEM parts are properly installed the edges of the birfield housing and cage should be close to flat with the star being recessed a small amount. The pictures in post #10 the cage is proud of the housing edge by a large amount. Can't really see the star. That said those do not appear to be 80 series OEM birfields. One other observation of the pictures is that they have not been sufficiently packed with grease.

When the OEM parts are properly installed the edges of the birfield housing and cage should be close to flat with the star being recessed a small amount. The pictures in post #10 the cage is proud of the housing edge by a large amount. Can't really see the star. That said those do not appear to be 80 series OEM birfields. One other observation of the pictures is that they have not been sufficiently packed with grease.

Agree on all fronts— those images are just from Google, I was referring to the shape and orientation of the cage. Those may not even be Toyota Birfields.

I’ll see if I can’t follow up with images of what I’m actually working with once I yank them back out of the truck. Worst case scenario, I’ll just reinstall the OEM components and save this as an upgrade for another day when I have all aftermarket parts.

Here’s what I’ve got, removed from the truck and wiped off. This is the passenger side.

8A420D91-02F0-445C-9CF0-89185F8C0581.jpeg

If possible take a picture of one of the pockets where the balls ride in the birfield housing with the grease wiped clean.

Figured it out. The Star was upside down. The cage orientation appears correct. We get full articulation with both the Nitro parts and the OE parts with the star flipped

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom