80 series for sale in Reno, anyone looked at it in person? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Dirt Ferguson

SILVER Star
Threads
Nice looking Cruiser with very low miles for sale at a dealership in Reno. I feel it's priced fairly accordingly, but on the high side, if everything checks out. I live 4 hours away which is just long enough where if the vehicle does not check out, that's a lost day.

Thanks for any input.

Pretty sure that one has been on their lot for quite a while. Carzone is known to be pretty bad when it comes to their "truthfulness" about the vehicles. One LX470 I went to look at on their lot that was said to have "little imperfects" was great on the inside but underneath and paint was HORRIBLE. You could tell their pics were taken from angles and whatnot to NOT show those areas.

Yeah I think that is overpriced. It isn't triple locked! I don't really trust carzone either. We moved up here in 2016 without a vehicle because I managed the blow the engine in my daily the day before we were to drive up here. So I went to Carzone to look at a vehicle. I asked if I could take it for 24 hours and have it inspected at the OE dealership (common thing from my experience) and they said no. Major red flag for me.

Thanks Tony and Gregnash, that's the kind of local knowledge I was looking for. I appreciate your input.

Main thing you are going to run into is that 80s have been on the high side of demand for the last few years. They are still seen as the quintessential "4x4" before luxury took over for the Land Cruisers. So you are going to be paying quite a bit for one unless you get lucky.

Use sites/apps like AutoTempest, FB Marketplace, etc. to do your searching and see what you can come up with. There are some out there that need a bit of love but would be decent/good project vehicles.

Another great app, though only available on iOS is BRZO. It allows you to literally search every single craigslist add across the globe. Also consider LX450s. They were available triple locked and are normally in better shape than "Land Cruisers" and sometimes a little cheaper. The only people looking for 80 Series Land Cruisers are people who know what they are and most folks selling them know that too. Not so much with the 450s. Here's a great example down in the Bay area...

20200526_183502000_iOS.png

I'd take the thing to Georg Esterer at Valley Hybrids in Stockton and have him do a full inspection. If he gives you a thumbs up, then grab have him toss ARB lockers in it and go have some fun!

BTW: I know a fabricator in Grass Valley who is a Land Cruiser guy (he owns four including a 450) who can hook you up with custom sliders, bumpers, roof racks and overland trailers. He is very reasonable too. He build this one...

1590518318275.png

This is great info, thanks guys. I’m coming off 3 Tacomas so I’m learning a lot in this process. I read as much as I can on Mud here, but having some people point me in the right direction is very helpful.

Grass Valley/ Auburn area seems like a small hotbed for fabricators and off road shops. I know 4X4labs is out there. WFO is in that area as well.

I definitely have used autotempest in the past and I will check out BRZO today.

This is great info, thanks guys. I’m coming off 3 Tacomas so I’m learning a lot in this process. I read as much as I can on Mud here, but having some people point me in the right direction is very helpful.

Grass Valley/ Auburn area seems like a small hotbed for fabricators and off road shops. I know 4X4labs is out there. WFO is in that area as well.

I definitely have used autotempest in the past and I will check out BRZO today.
Yeah... we also have Jason at Trail Tailor up in Redding too. He just split his shop offering custom fabrication and builds as well as some of his stock stuff that he builds for the rigs.

Greg, I'll add Trail Tailor to my list of Cruiser bookmarks on my laptop. One of the best parts of taking on a new build is meeting cool people who work independently.

Main thing you are going to run into is that 80s have been on the high side of demand for the last few years. They are still seen as the quintessential "4x4" before luxury took over for the Land Cruisers. So you are going to be paying quite a bit for one unless you get lucky.

Use sites/apps like AutoTempest, FB Marketplace, etc. to do your searching and see what you can come up with. There are some out there that need a bit of love but would be decent/good project vehicles.
Another issue with local Cruisers is that many were Tahoe based. The implication of that is they may have rust issues from the winter road salt.

According to the Carfax it was in the Bay Area until 9/19 and then it ended up in WY for a brief period until it landed in Reno.

Tony those mods are really cool, I love the Emu Wing. And yes, I've spent lots of time checking out all the gear and tips for LC newbs on the Slee website. Definitely a great resource.

Greg, I'll add Trail Tailor to my list of Cruiser bookmarks on my laptop. One of the best parts of taking on a new build is meeting cool people who work independently.

Yup... Jason is good people and his work is absolutely top notch. Man was a professional pipeline welder up until a few years ago when he retired (for like the 3rd time) and decided to take his custom fabrication full time. I actually need to make a trip out to see him so I can pick up one of his Swaybar Link kits for Alita as well as a diff drop bracket.

Another issue with local Cruisers is that many were Tahoe based. The implication of that is they may have rust issues from the winter road salt.

This is true depending on how long it stayed in Tahoe and if it was a "permanent" fixture up there. However, I have found you are more likely to find the LX version up there, like Tony was eluding too, vs. the LC version. One day I will have a cruiser stable, another 60, and an 80 series. Have a poor brown 60 that lives a few blocks from me that I so badly want to rescue. Has been sitting on the street for as long as I can remember (probably at least 5-7yrs) windows all cracked with drivers rear down about 3", hood popped and NEVER moves. Thing is just getting hammered by the sun and elements, inside looks like garbage but body and frame look to be solid. Wife and I were talking about it when we walked the dogs past on Saturday last week and I mentioned how badly I would want to rescue it. She told me if I could get it for a good price, why not!!! I told her don't tempt me, because if I do we won't be taking any vacations or anything for a LONG time. :rofl:
She quickly picked up the pace!

You guys see this? The price seems right.

I'm not trying to turn you into my personal sounding board here, but at the same time I've really appreciated all the honest input I've gotten here. Thanks guys.

I know he's parked in the Peppermill Resort parking lot! LOL

It is a good price but he is either a bad ad writer or being evasive. He mentioned some problems but doesn't show pics of them for your reference, and implies others (back seats are in great shape... what about the front!?) and doesn't list mileage. I'm sure mileage is high for that price though. I'd text and ask for more detailed pics of the damage he mentioned, pics of the dash and instrument cluster/interior, and pics of the cargo area, engine bay, and under carriage.

Hopefully he's not selling it to pay off a bad debt!

The search continues....

I just came across the ad for this one on craigslist. Got on here to see if there were any good mechanics around to check it out. I guess that's a moot point now, thanks everyone for the heads up on carzone :).

What do you all think of this 80? Price seems reasonable given the age. Has some "character" and to be honest, I am always wary of people that come out swinging saying "I know what I have...."

thoughts?

Not a bad price really. But then again, I'm a sucker for these things, especially one with lockers. If I had the cash laying around, I would go see it. I like the color too.
At the end of the day, you'll just waste time, and a little gas to go see it.

I'll be around Markleeville this weekend, maybe I'll make the drive up there...