80 Series Expedition to Baja (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
With the positive response of e9999s "Expedition" thread and talk about a trip to Baja, I'd thought I'd start a new thread specifically to determine the response to something like this. What a great opportunity it would be for people in this forum to show off their trucks, but faces to names, have a lot of fun, and learn a few things from the forum masters. Maybe it can turn into a annual event, who knows. Also, imagine seeing a long line of 80 series Cruisers. How cool would that be. So first off, how long would a trip like this take starting in San Diego?

We should do it in the winter (post Xmas and New Year's) when every one is bogged down in the snow (well, at least some of us) and would love to get away for a bit.

I'd say a one-week journey might be good.

We'd also have to include a few days traveling for some of us--I'm in.!!!!

Best.
-onur
Akron, OH

Well, we are on one of the big race teams that races Baja and we just tooked 3rd in the baja 500 (sorry for the shameless plug, but i couldnt resist)! http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/baja500.htm

Depending on what folks want to do, there are a many different options.

FOR THE SHORT WEEKEND VERSION: I know of a great campsite (http://www.playasaldamando.com) that is right on the water and can accomodate 15 rigs or so PER SITE that is only $13 a night and is RIGHT ON THE WATER! I have camped here many times and love it! The campsite is approx 1.5-2 hours south of San Diego!!! Here are some pics: http://www.yankeetoys.org/mangler/mexico05.htm

One option that might be good is camping there as base camp and exploring during the day and returning to camp at night and make to make the first "Baja 80 Series Expedition" a weekend event! I would feel much more comfortble helping organize this, as this is what my knowledge is limited too! Beyond this, i would be out of my comfort zone!

I think it would be a nice and safe way for people to get their first baja experience. Its hard to explain but things down there are very different and if something goes wrong AAA doesnt go there, and your must be self sufficent! Prep is the key! There would be a good amount of trust needed for all parties involved in this adventure! The more you get into the depths of Baja, the more spanish is needed! We got lost driving a chase truck chasing our car during the race and getting directions was damn near impossible, luckily we came across another chase truck that lead us to the pit!!

I have fairly limited knowledge of Baja but it intrigues me tremendously and i have been waiting for a chance to explore it more! My suggestion is doing a small weekend exploration first and then possibly a bigger one later.

Of course, anyone is welcome to do what they wish, this is just my two cents. There are A LOT of logistics involved that people dont think about.

A one week journey as beno suggests sounds great! Getting people to take charge of doing the planning may be a big tough, but i would love to do a trip like that!

Also, has anyone tried these yet?: http://www.gmap.com.mx/ba/index.htm They seem like a great idea and would help tremendously for something like this!

Last edited:
I use my AAA membership for the insurance. Any AAA office can get you mexican insurance and its very easy. Mine usually runs about $20 a day for the full coverage stuff! A car accident in Mexico can be a felony!

Some folks i go with get it at the border to save an extra $10 or so. I would rather pay the extra to a company i trust!

My .02

I'd be interested! I'd have friends that would want to go also who run 60s or mini-trucks too though. I'm sure we wouldn't oppose them going along?

Cool idea...but probably belongs in the Trail Rides/Expedition forum....

I would be interested in a weekend trip. Got kids and all of that. Maybe during the month of Dec if this year. It would be great to connect names to faces as mentioned. It would also be a learning experience for me in terms of really getting out of the asphalt when vacationing.

Gotta agree with TX TLC guys. Sounds like an excellent idea, I wish I lived close enough to consider it to even be a possibility for me but alas no. Moving this to trail rides and expeditions but will leave redirect here in the 80 tech forum.

I'd love to do something like that... a week at least as a weekend wouldnt justify the 3000 mi trip out there for me... but it would completely depend on when ya'll we're looking to do the trip.

We've been kicking this idea around for a few months. So far it is 2 cruisers and a mini looking at running all the way to cabo and back. 10 days in country. camping on the beach. kayaking and snorkleing and stuff. 8+ hours of seat time a day.
I did a simlar trip in 92 and did not make cabo because we found a killer beach and just hung out until we ran out of h20 and had to go to town.
This trip if we don't make cabo it is just an excuse to try again in a couple of years. In otherwords...no set agenda.
Right now we are debating late march /early april of 06. or maybe holding out for 07. depends on vacation and money.
Any later than April and it gets darned warm out there in the desert. Fall could be an option but that is hurricane season so the weather could cause some major problems.
I oringinally wanted to go down via San Diego and come out via the ferry at Guyamas and up through mainland Mex to laredo or something along there.
With the current "issues" in Laredo (and most of the US/MEX border area) I am now thinking more like in and out via San Diego or Mexicali.
More the merrier if anyone else wants to jump in.

I'd be interested in a weekend, but that's about all I can do.

Brentbba said:

Ditto, maybe 2 different trips/groups!

Sounds excellent. I was wanting to go scuba diving around Puerto Penasco sometime soon, and a trip like this would be the perfect reason!

i think a good idea would be to all launch down to Baja at the same time.. then group A leaves after the weekend and group B remains for the week..

a good thing to have will be packing lists, maps, etc...

i've I'm back from overseas in time... The Mrs, I, and the Dog will be there granted I can get leave from work.. which shouldn't be a problem.. So if it's after Dec 11th or so I'm game..

Also, Mangler, since we were talking about your cell phone antenna on the other thread, what's the coverage with cell phones down along Mexico? Does anyone know what technology is the most widely used (TDMA, CDMA, GSM or A/B analog)? If it's poor and iffy, a good 3dB or 5dB antenna with a metal ground plane or elevated feed model will work wonders in the bad areas. Anyone tried this yet down there?

mason said:
Also, Mangler, since we were talking about your cell phone antenna on the other thread, what's the coverage with cell phones down along Mexico?

You can now also rent satellite phones for a very reasonable rate and then you only pay for actual use. Pretty handy for emergency use situations where you'd rather not play games with "Can you hear me now - I'm bleeding from my head!"

(http://www.satellitephonestore.com)

Brentbba said:

For just a weekend I'd focus on everything north of Bahia de Los Angeles. The crossing at Tecate and then the southern route down to Puertecitos then on to B de LA would fit into a weekend nicely. Can't forget swinging through Coco's Corner either. You can sea kayak out to some of the islands in the Sea of Cortez and snorkel/dive if conditions are good. Storms can be weird down there though on the water (http://www.bajaquest.com/bola/article02.htm).

mason said:
Also, Mangler, since we were talking about your cell phone antenna on the other thread, what's the coverage with cell phones down along Mexico? Does anyone know what technology is the most widely used (TDMA, CDMA, GSM or A/B analog)? If it's poor and iffy, a good 3dB or 5dB antenna with a metal ground plane or elevated feed model will work wonders in the bad areas. Anyone tried this yet down there?

Cell phone coverage is pretty randomn down there, usually it doesnt work at all, but i have had full bars in some random areas until we got to Ensenada then nothing!, i use Sprint. SPRINT offer "Mexico Coverage" for an extra $5-$10 a month. We had a guy that had verizon that had full service up until about ensanada and then nothing.

As for the sat phones, from my one and only experience with them (at the baja 500) they are VERY overrated! Sure, they MIGHT be good in emergencys but when we tried to use them during the race they work about 1 time out of 5 and usually came in horrible and couldnt understand anything6! We had the top of the line "Iridium" ones too! Have others used these with good results?

clownmidget said:
You can now also rent satellite phones for a very reasonable rate and then you only pay for actual use. Pretty handy for emergency use situations where you'd rather not play games with "Can you hear me now - I'm bleeding from my head!"

(http://www.satellitephonestore.com)

I just checked out that site and it looks like a pretty good idea! Again, they arent all that great, but in a life of death situation, its better then nothing!

LandCruiserPhil said:
If you plan to be down in Baja on the 3rd weekend in November you can witness the Baja 1000. Worth the trip alone! This year is a loop race so all the action will be on northern Baja.

Yes, we will be there for that!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom