80 Series EASY ARB Rock Light Install (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
80 Series - ARB Bull Bar Rock Light Install

I picked up a couple HELLA Work/Utility Lights (retail $12.92 each at rallylights.com) for some rock/ground lighting in the 80 series.

Hellaworklights.jpg

After spending a few minutes on my back staring underneath Black & Tan searching for a good, easy, place to mount the lights, I came up with a solution.

So it just so happens that I noticed two lovely threaded holes in the frame rails that were not being used. How convenient. A quick trip to the drawer of junk and bolts and I found a couple old Toyota bolts and some kind of cool brackets that I have no idea came from. For once, being a pack rat pays off. The install is pretty simple.

Rocklights1.jpg

Rocklights2.jpg

Rocklights3.jpg

I figured since these light have a flood type pattern, mounting them a little further away from the ground would have a better results. Also, in my experience on my last vehicle, mounting them in a wheel well led to broken lenses from road debris.
Rocklights4.jpg

Lights are mounted up and out of the way. No drilling necessary compliments of spare threaded holes.

I bought some lighted toggle switches from Rallylights.com too. Part number HL96517. I was surprised to see these arrive in Toyota OEM part packaging! Price was $6.68 each.

Lightswitch.jpg

Another important method to my madness as to why I mounted them like this was prompted by a night wheeling trip DOWN Moab Rim. P.S., did I mention that trail blows? That night was pucker factor 10. It’s nice to see what your about to drive over, or into. Preferably not over a cliff as I nearly did. So, my theory is more light up front in the path, the better!

Rocklights5.jpg

They look great, any other pics like side shots of the illumination? Did you use a relay for them?

Very slick! Where are you going to mount the other two?

Thanks guys-

Yes, a relay was used in the wiring of them.

I'll have to lay on my back a little more and fit the ultimate place to mount the other two.

:cheers:

Nice Job. Good write-up as well. Now you need a video feed so you can see all of what is being illuminated without getting out.

you should PM arya, he has a pretty cool rock light setup.

Nice work.

Last edited:
concretejungle said:
you should PM ary, he has a pretty cool rock light setup.

Nice work.

Haha, thanks man, I was just reading along, didn't expect to see my name.

Johnny, I mounted a set in a very similar place up front, and then 1 along each frame rail. I think I could use one more in the very back on the rear crossmember pointing down and forward, basically lighting up under the rear axle.

You can see my light placement in these pics.

Ary's%20UFO.JPG

I did find at least one light on the side of the roof rack pointing down and forward to the front tire was crucial for seeing exactly what my front tires were doing. Otherwise there was a dark spot to the outside of the front tires.

116-1626_IMG.jpg

There are 8 lights on in the above pic, however the 2 on the front of the rack are pointed forward. So there are effectively 6 lights lighting up the ground around the truck. There are no other lights in the vicinity(we were in a camp ground) for reference.

Hope that helps.

Ary

Excellent idea and write up.

:cheers:

Johnny,
That is a cool idea!

Black and Tan did you grove your tires by chance or did you swap out the mud terrains?

Arya -
Awesome set up man. Damn, I am going to need triple batteries. :D

I thought about the side rack ones too. If were camping and saw that thing approaching like that, I would think a damn UFO was coming for me!

Heckler -
I did groove them using a heated groover I bought.

WildYoats said:
Arya -
Awesome set up man. Damn, I am going to need triple batteries. :D

I thought about the side rack ones too. If were camping and saw that thing approaching like that, I would think a damn UFO was coming for me!

Thanks man. I used Yakima mighty mounts w/ thumb screws on the rack so the lights could be swiveled out of the way if their doom was imminent, i.e. a tree was coming for 'em :D

My friends have actually called it the UFO before, lol.

BTW, I got the cable for the limb risers. Thanks again!

Ary

Nicely done!! That is a very cool look...with those you can identify the road kill immediately at night ;)))

Group Buy on ARB polos..last week. PM me.
airlaird

I am planning the same type of install....very nice! I am going to try and use all LED lighting due to the power draw you talked about. I have a set of PIAA 12 LED flood lights for the sides right now and still need to get some for the front. Nice write up and info.

great job! looks like it would really light up the trail. plus, you could use 'em on the street and hang with the import tuners on the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom