80 Series E-lock Diff Retrofit Web Write-Up (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

theferg

SILVER Star
Threads
Well, this info is all in the archives of IH8MUD anyway, but I've been bored lately and can't work on the rig 'cause it's too cold and I don't have a garage...so I did a little write-up on stickin' 80 series e-lock diffs into my FJ60 and put it up on my webpage. Just wanted to throw it out there and have you guys check it out and let me know whatcha think... You can help me proofread it too. :D

http://www.burgoyne.com/pages/ferguson/elock1.htm

-Ferg-

it rocks...got yer email, will link up when I get some time...

THANKS!!!!!

very nice!

first typo: "or else you transfer case is gonna go boom" (should be your)

back to reading...

on elock3.htm : "You'll both shafts pulled out in order to remove your diff" (You'll need....?)

back to reading...

[quote author=yooper link=board=1;threadid=11418;start=msg103953#msg103953 date=1076616319]
very nice!

first typo: "or else you transfer case is gonna go boom" (should be your)

back to reading...
[/quote]

Thanks! Fixed it.

-Ferg-

[quote author=yooper link=board=1;threadid=11418;start=msg103954#msg103954 date=1076616558]
on elock3.htm : "You'll both shafts pulled out in order to remove your diff" (You'll need....?)

back to reading...
[/quote]

Also fixed. Also fixed a "to" that shoulda been a "too" on that same page.

-Ferg-

Ferg,
Very good reading ... thanks!
Rice

Looks like I'll have to add in some approximate pricing on that write-up eh? Anyway, the rear shaft cost me $175 with a TLCA discount from a certain Toyota Dealership. It listed for like $212 or so I think. I haven't been able to find exactly what the part number is for the front shaft nor how much it costs, but it is rumored that the OEM front shaft with long splines is around $300 with a discount :eek:. For that price you could can get a 300M shaft made. CV Unlimited sells them for around $200.

All-in-all I ended up with front and rear selectable electric lockers for ~$1300 for everything--and that included getting a full-float rear and rebuilding both front and rear axles, not to mention I went from 3.70s to 4.10s. Try doin' all that crap at once with any other selectable locker and you'd be spending a lot more money than that... In fact, unless you find a sweet deal, you wouldn't even be able to get two arbs and the compressor for $1300--then you have to get them installed in your carriers... Lower gears is like another $300-400... Am I pro e-locker or what...? :flipoff2:

-Ferg-

Nice page, Ben. One thing nice to point out was that you were really lucky in finding the parts at the prices you paid. Most poor saps who are counting on paying $1300 on a set of factory electric lockers, long splined axle shafts and a FF rear axle will be disappointed. For instance, not many will find e-lockers at the prices you paid and now that you wrote that page, the prices will go up :)

Dave

VERY NICE :cheers: thanks for all the info

[quote author=beanz2 link=board=1;threadid=11418;start=msg105169#msg105169 date=1076859382]
Nice page, Ben. One thing nice to point out was that you were really lucky in finding the parts at the prices you paid. Most poor saps who are counting on paying $1300 on a set of factory electric lockers, long splined axle shafts and a FF rear axle will be disappointed. For instance, not many will find e-lockers at the prices you paid and now that you wrote that page, the prices will go up :)

Dave
[/quote]

True. I did find some killer deals on my parts--especially on that front axle shaft ;). But I don't see the price for all the parts going much higher than $1800-2000 or so if you atleast try to find the deals and do the install/rebuilds yourself. And I still think $1800-2000 for e-lockers battles ARBs pricing (unless you can set up gears or don't use an ARB compressor or get a killer deal on ARBs). So ya, I guess I better add in that disclaimer when I talk about pricing. Thanks!

-Ferg-

[quote author=theferg link=board=1;threadid=11418;start=msg105211#msg105211 date=1076867822]
True. I did find some killer deals on my parts--especially on that front axle shaft ;). But I don't see the price for all the parts going much higher than $1800-2000 or so if you atleast try to find the deals and do the install/rebuilds yourself. And I still think $1800-2000 for e-lockers battles ARBs pricing (unless you can set up gears or don't use an ARB compressor or get a killer deal on ARBs). So ya, I guess I better add in that disclaimer when I talk about pricing. Thanks!

-Ferg-
[/quote]

You did it the right way. The deals are out there if yer willin to do the kind of research you did and really look around. Most of us don't have the patience for it (me included), and are envious that you found the deals you did.

Good work!

I surprised even myself with how long I waited for some of the parts... I started price shopping (with money and intent to buy) in November of 2002. I got my first part--one locking diff--in March 2003 and the next one in like July or August. Didn't get the FF rear till the end of November 2003! So about a year. I still can't believe I waited that long. But besides the FF rear and the 2nd locking diff, I had most of the parts within 3 months or so.

-Ferg-

Really nice job, Ferg. Good data.

Mike S

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom