80 Series Driveshaft Vibe OMEKIT-80F3R2

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
First my configuration:
95 Landcruiser with factory lockers
3" front 2" back Man a Fre lift kit-OMEKIT-80F3R2
315/75r16 BFG A/T

I have noticed a very minor vibration from the front driveshaft when decelerating from 35mph and 55mph or so(when i release the gas it is noticable). this is increased in the morning cool air. I am trying to understand all the threads about caster correction and Double Cardan Replacement shafts. the manafee lift included a front arm bracket drop which probably didn't align the front axle quite enough.

Can anyone give some guidance on the damage that can occur if i leave this alone since i barely notice the problem and can definately deal with it. If I need to get it done, i found a shop that will do the D/C for 500 bucks which is cheaper than purchasing and doing it myself after shipping costs. i need to balance the cost vs. potential damage. Any advise would be appreciated!

hi there! I run the very same lift and same size tires on my '94. I have been dealing with drive shaft vibrations as well. Here's where I'm at:After installing the lift, I left the caster correction brackets out. Handling was horrible and lot's of front drive shaft vibes and rattling. Installed the brackets which fixed the handling, but still had the vibrations and rattling. Installed a front CV shaft and fixed the front shaft vibration.I still have a vibration and small amount of rattle coming from the rear. I pulled the rear shaft and measured the slope of the pinion and tcase output and found there's a difference in angle that is shared between the two ujoints - this is the cause of the vibration. Two possible fixes - either install a CV shaft (a 4 runner CV will bolt up to the 80 t-case, but the pinion side will not work) or install some adjustable upper control arms and rotate the pinion so that the angles match each other. I am leaning towards the CV shaft route. It appears if one sources a 4Runner CV shaft and combines the 4runner CV head with the 80 series shaft, then you can build a hybrid shaft that will solve the problem.

ive only heard talk about Double cardan shafts to this point. whats the pros and cons of a CV shaft?

pros- a cv is self cancelling meaning that it can run at an angle and the single joint on the other end can have no angle on it. It helps in getting around mis-matched angles that result in lifting most 4x4s.

cons - they require regular greasing and can be a bit of a challenge to grease. You usually have to remove the shaft and shoot the grease in while on the work bench.

"Minor" DS vibration is pretty normal for a 3 inch lift. Make sure that the U joints and slip yoke are in good shape. A DC shaft with only a 3 inch lift may vibrate too because of the angle at the diff pinion. This angle needs to be close to zero (+/- a few degrees) to be vibration free.

I was under the impression that a 3/2 lift was pretty mild and problem free. I was planning on ordering one this week but now am considering a 2/1. I came over from Rovers and had one with over a 3 inch lift and it was a mess, I don't want to have vibrations. I just changed out all my U-joints and am waiting on an ARB non-winch bumper which I will someday put a winch behind, and I'll be mounting sliders. Is this going to be enough weight to keep away from vibes? The rear will remain pretty light for the near future and I am planning on Slee bushings.. Anyone have any advice or experience with this set up? Vibes or no? :hmm:

thanks for the input guys. I just dropped my truck at the shop today to get a cv joint placed on the existing front driveshaft. ill keep yall informed on how it goes. At first the owner said he could drop the xfer case a half inch but he found the CV joint being a better option after he got a look at the truck. i just want it right, lookin at 425 for this so far.

"Minor" DS vibration is pretty normal for a 3 inch lift. Make sure that the U joints and slip yoke are in good shape. A DC shaft with only a 3 inch lift may vibrate too because of the angle at the diff pinion. This angle needs to be close to zero (+/- a few degrees) to be vibration free.

^^^What he said^^^

After

Okay, got the truck back and they put a Double Cardan joint on the top of my front DS by the xfer case. they said the rear angles are fine. the vibes are gone! 422 parts and labor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom