80 series diesel turbo(74k miles)- turbo pipe gaskets/valve cover gasket replaced- would you still buy? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello, I am looking at a ‘95 Land Cruiser diesel turbo to buy that looks very nice in pics but has had the valve cover gasket and Turbo pipe gaskets replaced. It only has 74k miles. I just don’t know if that is not a big deal or if those replacements throw up red flags for anyone. Any help would be appreciated.

The gaskets aren't an issue, but need a lot more details like where is it coming from, the rest of the prior service history (probably not much due to low miles), overall condition, LHD or RHD, original paint, rust, asking price, etc, etc.

Thank you very much for the replies. I still do not know much about it. I have inquired about it and I am waiting for a reply. The L.Cruiser is rhd(obviously you will see that in the pics I have posted). It was imported back in Dec. of 2020. There are no undercarriage pics at the moment. I do not know the history yet either. I wanted to post here first because I didn't want to waste my time on it if people here said to move on because of the gasket replacements.

1.jpg

2.jpg

3.jpg

4.jpg

5.jpg

Thank you very much for the replies. I still do not know much about it. I have inquired about it and I am waiting for a reply. The L.Cruiser is rhd(obviously you will see that in the pics I have posted). It was imported back in Dec. of 2020. There are no undercarriage pics at the moment. I do not know the history yet either. I wanted to post here first because I didn't want to waste my time on it if people here said to move on because of the gasket replacements.

View attachment 3332172

View attachment 3332180

View attachment 3332181

View attachment 3332182

View attachment 3332183

7.jpg

Looks like '95 or newer.

If the pics correspond with the actual cruiser it looks like its worth taking a look. Looks to be clean, and not just "cleaned up".

Everything rubber is gonna be getting close to failure regardles of miles. It's no surprise rubber gaskets needed changing. The engine bay looks tidy.

Keep in mind rubber everywhere is gonna be hard and dried out. That includes door rubbers, tires, suspension bushes, hoses, harmonic balancer, gaskets, seals.

Regardless of low mileage, it's at an age that things will need repairs.

Its a bonus to have body, paint, interior, undercarriage all clean and tidy. Doesn't mean the whole deal is gonna stay maintenance free in the coming years.

The previous owner may have just replaced those gaskets to be diligent when they powder coated the crossover pipe and valve cover. Stock is silver, not black.
This, I keep several cross over pipe gaskets in the garage, and have done the valve cover gasket. They are dirt cheap and the crossover is single use, technically.

Mine has 90k on it, and its a 1990. Low miles even in Japan, but not absurdly.

Thanks again for the comments. The seller sent a lot of pics of the L. Cruiser. After seeing pics of the undercarriege I have lost my excitement to a degree(like spray paint overspray). The rest of the Cruiser looks great. I would sure appreciate any feedback on the undercarriage pics. I added a pic of the engine because it shows some rust in case someone wanted to comeent on that. Thanks again.

9.jpg

10.jpg

11.jpg

12.jpg

13.jpg

Thanks again for the comments. The seller sent a lot of pics of the L. Cruiser. After seeing pics of the undercarriege I have lost my excitement to a degree(like spray paint overspray). The rest of the Cruiser looks great. I would sure appreciate any feedback on the undercarriage pics. I added a pic of the engine because it shows some rust in case someone wanted to comeent on that. Thanks again.

View attachment 3332392

View attachment 3332393

View attachment 3332394

View attachment 3332395

View attachment 3332396

14.jpg

15.jpg

16.jpg

So, some one's board s bit of black on the underside. Doesn't look recent.

The exhaust looks low mileage.

There's no scrapes or gouges from dragging the frame over rocks during off road use.

Minor cosmetic rust on the body.

The rust in the engine bay looks like it is on stuff that only has a light coat of black paint from the factory. Nothing significant.

Overall, the engine bay looks tidy. There's no baked on oil/ dust crustiness. Same for the under carriage.

The interior looks clean. Driver seat cushions haven't collapsed from a driver sliding over the side bolster thousands of times.

If always pays to look at stuff with a critical ey, and stay skeptical.
this one looks like it's work an inspection though.
A 30 year old vehicle ain't gonna be perfect. This one is far from rough.

Do some homework on the seller. Is it private, or importer?

What is your intended use?
Are you someone who would do maintenance yourself? Or pay to have it done?

You havn’t said where it was imported from. In Japan, they commonly spray the undercarriage during the “shaken” bi-annual inspections (atleast, thats what I was told by the local guy). Overspray is common.

That undercarriage looks better than many 5 year old vehicle’s I’ve seen.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom