80 Series died during the river crossing (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I get so tired of people posting that video of me doing that water crossing in my old white 80 Series. I remember that day well, especially when Vlad opened the door afterward to let the water out...
Seriously though, I have made my boys watch that video so many times they make fun of me for it. I love that video, especially at the end where you can hear them chuckling and saying in a thick accent, "Land Cruiser..." in obvious admiration.

Maybe a dumb thought, but depending on the water crossing technique could the water catch the cooling fan and essentially stall the engine? If that were the case it may take a minute to get her restarted I could imagine.

I get so tired of people posting that video of me doing that water crossing in my old white 80 Series. I remember that day well, especially when Vlad opened the door afterward to let the water out...
Seriously though, I have made my boys watch that video so many times they make fun of me for it. I love that video, especially at the end where you can hear them chuckling and saying in a thick accent, "Land Cruiser..." in obvious admiration.
Wait seriously that was you? Care to share any more backstory or context to that crossing? Thanks

Maybe a dumb thought, but depending on the water crossing technique could the water catch the cooling fan and essentially stall the engine? If that were the case it may take a minute to get her restarted I could imagine.
I've seen some people tie off their fans before a crossing; I wasn't quite sure why though. Maybe for the reasons you're alluding to.

I've seen some people tie off their fans before a crossing; I wasn't quite sure why though. Maybe for the reasons you're alluding to.
My understanding with the fan is that hitting water abruptly while at high RPM could cause a fan blade to break which then turns into a bit of a missile inside the engine bay.

Wait seriously that was you? Care to share any more backstory or context to that crossing? Thanks
I was joking about it being me, sorry if that was unclear. I'm not trying to catch a case for stolen valor.

My mates here chuck a tarp over the front end of the car and push through deep water with a bit of speed, both so they dont get stuck but also to create a bow wave with the tarp. Keeps the water level lower around the car and engine bay, protects the fan from an inrush of water, but you've only got about 30 seconds to get across because your water temp is going to skyrocket. They all drive diesels btw, I wouldn't try it in my FZJ80 unless I had too (bushfire). And if I had too, then yeah I would give the tarp trick a go.

Tie off the fan or remove the fan belts so the fan doesn't spray the water all over everything under the hood, particularly the distributor that's right up front.

We used to remove the fan belt on our old 68 Chevy 4x4 when we had to cross the river to go check cows then put it back on after we were across. Kind of a PITA, but it worked.

There are videos of some deeper crossings floating around the net, but this one in the Philippines is the longest duration one I have seen. The driver posted after the fact that it took him almost a week to remove the whole interior and dry the truck.

There are videos of some deeper crossings floating around the net, but this one in the Philippines is the longest duration one I have seen. The driver posted after the fact that it took him almost a week to remove the whole interior and dry the truck.

This is the other video I was thinking of about the additional problems that don't get posted after a long water trip. Also another diesel.

Every time I go through an knee deep puddle my LC goes into some kind of "safe mode" and the engine won't go over 2,000 rpms until it dries out. If it's storming out, I need to borrow my wife's little bmw to run to the store because my big truck can't get wet. So embarrassing.

not so dumb. but youre off the mark

it won't stop the engine because the clutch hub on the fan is not a solid connection.

if you have to do a long river crossing, is good ides to tie the fan to stop the blades flexing forward and gouging the back of the radiator

Hi,

I have a pretty stock 1997 Landcruiser (petrol) without any lift kit or bigger tyers, snorkel, breathers, etc.
A couple of weeks ago while river crossing the car just lost power and shutdown.

It would crank and won't start. After a few minutes, it started luckily and got me out of the water.
So perhaps the distributor got wet and when it dried due to engine heat, it started.

I checked the airbox after getting out of the water and driving the car under 1KM.

What is confusing me till today, that how come there was NO WATER in the Air Box. It was completely dry. The water was almost bonnet high.

Can someone please explain this? Thanks

did alot of steam get created once you dipped into water from the heat of the engine / drivetrain?
Steam gets into all places and until it evaporates can cause wierd issues with electronics, sensors etc

We have Flash floods in the Negev desert not fun at all

I will prepare my rig for deep water crossing in advance

we will not go into flash flood when the water are going up

I personally will not be the first to cross and i prepare myself (food, water, gas and time) to wait for 12 hours until the water go down at the height of the tiers

crossing wit be done
low at first gear
triple looked
1800-2000 RPM constant movement

my soft points are O2 sensor connectors

Keep safe

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom