80 series cracked frame (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
90% of the time this happens every time...

80 series frame cracks just under the steering box if the truck is reequipped with 33" or bigger tires. I, like few others, had my frame welded. During the sale of the truck we found out that the frame cracked again, no surprise really...
Plates to reinforce the frame are now available at ateb, see pictures. These are welded to frame under the steering box.
I will make the lhd version if there is enough interest.

ZE CRACK.jpg

PLATE ON FRAME.jpg

3D PRINT PROTOTYPE.jpg

1 please. I will pay immediately if you direct me how to do so. thx.

Is that third pic an ABS prototype?

Put me down for one LHD version...

Edit: What material are you using?

Last edited:
1 please. I will pay immediately if you direct me how to do so. thx.

Yours is being installed today...BTW the truck looks great, it brought a tear to my eye and woke up my only feeling.

Last edited:
Sign me up for one as well. My frame has had the same crack and been repaired once already, but I haven't checked it in some time now.

It was a collaborated effort with John (ATEB) and Lance, they let me access the available frames for measurement purposes. Chris started the whole thing...( saying "fix it or else".. JK)
John got most of the first batch of the few plates I got made.
Unless you are planning to install it yourself I suggest you let John do it. There are couple of small frame mods (grinds) to be done plus him and I discussed the welding patterns as well and rust proofing. Wheel alignment is to follow this modification.
I do have a couple of plates left however, PM me if you are planning to install it yourself. I do have pictures of the required frame mods.

Is that third pic an ABS prototype?

Put me down for one LHD version...

Edit: What material are you using?

yes, at work I have SST1200, it is ABS material prototype
plate material is 3/16" 1020 steel

I will check for differences other then the mirror image...

Sounds good, I have not cracked mine yet but would rather fix it before I have that happen.

Should be a big market in the US for something like this, think you are onto something.

If you need to test a ABS Proto let me know or a pre production one.

Yours is being installed today...BTW the truck looks great, it brought a tear to my eye and woke up my only feeling.

thanks Marcin- It has been a journey. Looking forward to this mod as my welded frame cracked again as well. ******* washboard Death Valley road no doubt...

Sounds good, I have not cracked mine yet but would rather fix it before I have that happen.

Should be a big market in the US for something like this, think you are onto something.

If you need to test a ABS Proto let me know or a pre production one.

I have seen a few LHD with the cracks starting, but at least it should be a lot easier to access compared to the RHD with all the crap parked in the way.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom