80 series chassis creaks over bumps (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey All,

I’m trying to quiet down some interior noises. I’ve got a creak when going over bumps that almost sounds like rubber moulding noise. It’s not a metal on metal sound, at least not one I’m familiar with. The sound is up top from what I can tell, doesn’t seem to be suspension, etc. Could be the back windows. Anyone successfully resolved something similar and can point me in the right direction?

Start removing things, one at a time, when the noise stops, you know you've found the problem.

Pinpointing noises that are present in the cabin is a black art. Before removing things, find a buddy to ride along with you who can move about the cabin, as needed. This person should push, pull, sit on, hold, etc., any culprits. He/she/you should also safely walk beside the vehicle listening for the noise. *post videos here if you can*

Taking it to another level is getting some electronic acoustic support.

STEELMAN ChassisEAR Electronic Squeak and Rattle Finder Auto Diagnostics Tool, 6 Microphone Clamps with Leads, Over-Ear Headphones https://a.co/d/fIBHHSg

I’ve had some luck with these.

Most important of all is accepting that we own old vehicles, some of which have had their frames exercised.

That said, it sounds to me like you have something like a sunroof creak or door/hatch creak, the former which is more common in my experience. However, noise locations can be deceiving, and you could very well have a suspension bushing noise.

Thanks for the responses, Guys. I’ll see if I can get an audio clip of the noise tomorrow. It’s a pretty distinct sound. Maybe someone will recognize it.

I realize the trouble shooting is common sense but sounds do play tricks on ears. It does sound like it’s up top but could be a bushing for all I know. I’ll get more serious about it over the next couple of days. It’s driving me crazy.

Someone just said the other day that their windshield was squeaking or creaking because it hadn't been installed properly using urethane on both sides. It's a pretty common issue if you've ever had your windshield replaced.

Drove the cruiser to work this morning. I think it is the front windshield. It’s never been replaced but it needs to be. The moulding has epoxy smeared all over it and has leaked in the past (front driver floorboard). I’m going to have it pulled and the moulding replaced. Regardless, it needs to be done anyways and most likely is the source of noise frustration.
Thanks for the lead on this!

I feel your pain.

I have a noise in the rear passenger door on every single bump. This is also the one door that doesn't lock. I guess I'll be taking it apart soon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom