80 Series Center Diff wire harness? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hello all,
I recently purchased a 94 Land Cruiser and have had some "gremlins" with diff locks. As I began to diagnose issues, I noticed that the Center Diff wires were all exposed and pretty brittle. The Center Diff lock sensor wires actually broke while checking operation.
Are there options for replacing the entire harness for the Center Diff? Where can I get new/refurbished wiring for the diff?
I really love all the tech and manufacturing put into the suspension and drivelines on these models and can't wait to fix the "gremlins" and get out to experience the capability.
Thanks to all on this sight for your experience and insights. I'm sure I will have experiences to share as I get further into tinkering with my new Toy!

The external wiring and connector housings are Sumitomo, the internal are a mix of Sumitomo and Yazaki. If you find a domestic source for Sumitomo wire, LMK. I've been searching for years with no luck.

the Center Diff wires were all exposed and pretty brittle. The Center Diff lock sensor wires actually broke while checking operation.

I do believe that is abnormal. The black plastic split loom and connectors get brittle, but I've never seen a *wire* get brittle and break on an 80. Maybe I've just been lucky.

I don't think anybody has much experience getting custom loom replacements made, since it's not generally a problem. The possible exception is the OBD1 engine wiring harness. You'd probably be better off looking for recommendations in the 40 section. The 80 is still at the stage where we obsess over buying genuine Toyota parts all the time, and various grades of fancy aftermarket mods.

Thx
In your years of searching, have you looked at any vendors who build wiring from your OE equipment?
There are no vendors who build custom harnesses from 80 harnesses, that I am aware of. For 80s maybe, but not from them. I personally wouldn't want to pay someone to reuse old wires in a "new" harness. There's enough resistance in those wires to make a noticeable difference now. Anyone's automotive grade wires would work, I'd just like to have some OEM colors to splice into problem harnesses.

Hello all,
I recently purchased a 94 Land Cruiser and have had some "gremlins" with diff locks. As I began to diagnose issues, I noticed that the Center Diff wires were all exposed and pretty brittle. The Center Diff lock sensor wires actually broke while checking operation.
Are there options for replacing the entire harness for the Center Diff? Where can I get new/refurbished wiring for the diff?
I really love all the tech and manufacturing put into the suspension and drivelines on these models and can't wait to fix the "gremlins" and get out to experience the capability.
Thanks to all on this sight for your experience and insights. I'm sure I will have experiences to share as I get further into tinkering with my new Toy!
I believe that harness just runs from the Lh side by the starter back around the engine on top of the trans.
It’s easily removed and repaired. I did mine.

When you disconnect it from the Lh side tie a string to it and pull it over to the rh side.
Do repair, tie string to it and pull it back to reconnect.

Thank you to everyone for your replies and input.
I decided to "bite the bullet" and replace the actuator.
I have read that you can replace the transfer case actuator without taking the transfer case out.....I wouldn't recommend it.
Taking the TC out wasn't much more of an effort (with the help of a couple of friends and a transmission jack) and it made the removal and replacement of the actuator fairly easy. I can't imagine how you would get a good bead of sealant on the actuator with the TC still in the vehicle.
Anyway.....after replacing the actuator and putting the TC back in the vehicle, IT WORKED!!!!!!! Flawlessly!!!!!!
It's such a relief to get this function working since one of the main selling points for the Land Cruiser is the triple locked capability!
Since, we have gone to Sedona and took Cliffhanger and Skeleton Bones and the truck performed perfectly. The TC locked and unlocked every time without fail and I was able to lock the rear diff on the exit of Cliffhanger to ensure an effortless ascent.
Without this forum, I can only imagine that I would have ended up taking my Toyota to some mechanic who wouldn't have known what to do and would have charged me a ridiculous amount of $ to leave me in no better position than when started.
I hope any others suffering similar issues find help in this thread. PS...the center diff actuators are getting difficult to find. If you think you need one, get it!
Thank you again!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom