80 series carpet available now. Matching mats available also (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anyone else have photos and reviews of this carpet kit? How was your install? How has the carpet held up over time?

Are the matching mats in stock yet? Update?

Anyone else have photos and reviews of this carpet kit? How was your install? How has the carpet held up over time?
Mine just came in today - grey '94 interior. I didn't see any other pics posted on mud for this interior so this was a roll of the dice. Couldn't be more happy with the quality and match. I'll post some pics after the install in a few weeks... waiting on some electronics to come and get that sorted first.

See pics for side-by-side comparison. The first pic is the new tailgate piece next to the original section of the front carpet that was under a seat and likely never saw the sun - new piece looks a little lighter than original. The second pic is the new tailgate piece next to the old one (just in case it's not completely obvious) - new piece looks a little darker than original which I blame on fading. IMO I don't think you could come closer to matching the door card carpeting

20210707_124402.jpg

20210707_124318.jpg

Mine just came in today - grey '94 interior. I didn't see any other pics posted on mud for this interior so this was a roll of the dice.
Thanks for posting up some pics. Would like to hear how your install goes.

Did you get matching floor mats with your order?

Happy to help. I didn't get the mats, mine are in great condition for some reason. PO probably didn't keep them in the vehicle... :rolleyes:

Happy to help. I didn't get the mats, mine are in great condition for some reason. PO probably didn't keep them in the vehicle... :rolleyes:

Thanks for your insight. I've been watching this thread as I sit on the sidelines on considering replacing my fj80 carpet.

Anyone order the matching mats? Can someone share their experiences with install of the standard or mass backing option?

I installed mine in my 91 several years ago. Couldn't be happier.

I went mass backed. It had a definite sound deadening effect.. but it was much more difficult to work with than non backed products I've used in other cars.

Think of it like this - non mass backed it like laying down a towel and trying to make it flat (pretty easy). Mass backed is like taking a cheap kiddie pool and trying to make it lay flat (doable, but much more finicky).

IMG_20190518_150017.jpg
IMG_20190518_150000.jpg

Here’s some updated information.

5-piece carpet kit includes entire passenger area, cargo area, tailgate piece and 2 wheel well pieces.
regular poly backing, $ 433.37
with mass backing, $ 564.21

passenger mats-2 front, 1 second row-$ 157.28

cargo mat-$ 157.91

All prices include shipping to most locations.

Production typically runs 3-5 days once your order is submitted. Upon completion, they send tracking UPS info.

I installed mine in my 91 several years ago. Couldn't be happier.

I went mass backed. It had a definite sound deadening effect.. but it was much more difficult to work with than non backed products I've used in other cars.

Think of it like this - non mass backed it like laying down a towel and trying to make it flat (pretty easy). Mass backed is like taking a cheap kiddie pool and trying to make it lay flat (doable, but much more finicky).
That looks really good. Adding it to the list...

Are any of the holes or slots pre-cut of do you have to use the existing carpet as a guide for this ????
There are not. You will have to use your old carpets as a template. The most common method seems to be as follows:

1. mark the holes with chalk
2. use a torch on a socket about the size of the hole and use the heat to cut the carpet (it will likely ruin your socket so get one you're not emotionally attached to)
3. also you'll need to reuse the plastic guides from the old carpets and attach with staples

Warning: If you haven't worked with carpet before you may not realize that If you try to drill the holes into the carpet, you will probably pull out long strands of it and it will ruin the aesthetic.

Are any of the holes or slots pre-cut of do you have to use the existing carpet as a guide for this ????

I used the carpet as a guide, and used a soldering iron with a section of wire coat hanger (as to not ruin a soldering tip) to poke the holes.

That nylon smoke is good for you, I hear.

I used the carpet as a guide, and used a soldering iron with a section of wire coat hanger (as to not ruin a soldering tip) to poke the holes.

That nylon smoke is good for you, I hear.
The price is right but I do not think I want to tackle this project right now as my existing carpet is ok and mostly covered up with weather tech mats. And the pictures that were posted the carpet looks really nice.

Finally getting ready to install this darn carpet I bought a year ago. I have an old soldering iron to make the holes... what do I need to remove/reinstall the clips and stuff I need to xfer from the old carpet? I saw the tips about making chalk-line patterns over the old carpet for holes etc... but I'm wondering if I need some special kinda stapler or what! Cheers!

Finally getting ready to install this darn carpet I bought a year ago. I have an old soldering iron to make the holes... what do I need to remove/reinstall the clips and stuff I need to xfer from the old carpet? I saw the tips about making chalk-line patterns over the old carpet for holes etc... but I'm wondering if I need some special kinda stapler or what! Cheers!
Not sure what clips you are referring to? No need for a stapler. Just a sharp razor is all you probably need if you don't want to cut with just a soldering iron. Once everything is cut to size, the trim pieces neatly cover any edges.

Tip: The carpet with the mass-backing will not fit exactly like the OEM carpet. It's a good general outline but be conservative with your cuts around the center consol and shifter area. Also, I would wait to make the holes for the seat bolts until it is sized and you are happy with the fitment. Once you are ready to make the holes, use something like kebab skewer (I'm sure there's a tool out there that would be useful but this was the best option for me) and make a puncture to check alignment with threaded holes. That way if you miss the hole, you haven't permanently burned visible carpet. There's a wife joke in there somewhere.

Also, get a a cheap harbor freight soldering iron. All the melting of rubber and nylon will likely ruin it.

Sorry I don't have pics - cruiser is out of state and in the shop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom